Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nothing lasts forever  (Read 2757 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Nothing lasts forever
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »

Well I'm late to this party, but I had weirdness from my 1st gen Echo a month back. Alexa suddenly started responding with " I am not connected to the internet". The four other Echos was connected to the internet just fine, as was four computers. The Echo was connected to WiFi ( I confirmed its MAC number in the router wireless client list) but it claimed no internet. I removed power to reboot and reconnect, several times, also went through the initial setup routine twice but no happiness. This went on for two weeks then suddenly the Echo started working again. I wondered if there was a problem with particular 1st gen Echos that Amazon patched with an update.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »

We have two 1st gen "Pringles can" Echos and haven't had that problem but one 2nd gen Dot that does that once every couple of weeks. A reboot solves it. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »

..... I had weirdness from my 1st gen Echo a month back...... This went on for two weeks then suddenly the Echo started working again. I wondered if there was a problem with particular 1st gen Echos that Amazon patched with an update.

I'd guess you're correct. I am sure I jumped-the-gun by so quickly replacing and decommishing my original dot. But what's done is done. But these Amazon devices just keep getting better and better. I only have so many rooms so some of these devices will have to replaced... and very likely before their natural end.

The old protocols seemed more static. Set-up an automation(s).... and they just worked forever (or until someone plugged in a wall-wart of charger somewhere). This Amazon stuff is as dynamic as it gets. No one knows what things will be like in the "future"... with the "future" being Monday.

But for many of us this automation stuff was never a "completed set-up". I sincerely hope my automation continues to morph, bend, twist, alter, and/or change (and that I can learn and manage to keep-up) for many years to come.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 11:27:31 AM »

We have two 1st gen "Pringles can" Echos and haven't had that problem but one 2nd gen Dot that does that once every couple of weeks. A reboot solves it.

I hadn't heard the term "Pringles can" Echos. But I LIKE it. I have one of those too. It works (and sounds) great.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »

I hadn't heard the term "Pringles can" Echos. But I LIKE it. I have one of those too. It works (and sounds) great.

I just made it up as I was posting - maybe it'll become "a thing"  ;D

I have 1st, 2nd & 3d gen Dots but other than cosmetics don't see/hear any difference so don't see any need to upgrade.  I don't use them for music so my actual favorite is the Flex.  Alexa is now in my car and I didn't have to buy anything.  I got an email from Toyota saying that I could add an Alexa app to the Entune audio/nav system in our 6 year old Highlander through my phone.  It works but there's not much I really need from Alexa while driving.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »

..... Alexa is now in my car and I didn't have to buy anything.  I got an email from Toyota saying that I could add an Alexa app...... It works but there's not much I really need from Alexa while driving.

That's interesting. I think I can add the Alex function in my new car (AKA the wife's car)... but not sure about my '15 Escape. However..... I did get the Amazon earbuds... so I can connect to Alexa via while out bicycling (I am pretty much an avid cyclist) as it uses my phone's connection/bandwidth. It's nice to get my normal alerts/warnings via the earbud(s) while I am out riding. Or... to request my normal weather forecast (and receive it). But mostly... I just listen to news and or... say... 80's hard rock (if that is what I ask Amazon/Alexa to play). For safety's sake I only wear one ear bud at a time... so hi fidelity music isn't an option for me. And of course... I can make a phone call though the ear buds via Alexa/Amazon, or using Siri and phone.

I can see directing more alerts, notices, messages, and warnings to my phone... which in turn may direct them to the car, my ear buds, or just the phone.

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.