Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Halo  (Read 1580 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Halo
« on: October 14, 2020, 11:22:51 PM »

Everywhere I go... I have my phone with me. And now.... Just like the Master Chief traveled with Cortana (in the video game Halo). I've ordered a pair of Alexa Buds (ear pieces) and now Alexa will be able to travel with me. On bike rides, jogging, at the gym, while driving or shopping. Although... my travel risk levels are closer to the movie "her" than the video game Halo. I am confident I'll develop NO emotional attachment to my AI.

Now.... just waiting for the hologram (female image)... and of course the flying car.   

Now would be a very good time to leave!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:35:54 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Halo
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »

I never could get use to things in/on or covering my ears, as well early teviews of the ear buds weren't  favorable enough for me to try. I do have Alexa on my watch howerver currently this is only sending me reminders and notifications.
I started watching the series Next last week. Very interesting what direction Alexa could go.
I too can't  wait for the hologram, the flying car however not so much.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »

..... early teviews of the ear buds weren't  favorable enough for me to try.

Yes. First year products... (almost) anything can make me hesitate. I've waited for these buds. Now..... I will wait for the implants... that will take me to the next step of Borg-ism.

I started watching the series Next last week. Very interesting what direction Alexa could go.

It's almost a certainty that eventually an AI created AI (as in Next) will have more than a significant effect [and/or control] over all modern populations. Those effects will NOT all be positive.

Of course... with that said (posted).... the very same thing can and more-or-less was said and written about every step forward in human progression. That fear-of-the-dark... innate in EVERY human child is never extracted from the mind, body, soul or DNA. Medical progress seen in the early 19th century first spurred warnings to the world about Artificial Life Forms when English author Mary Shelley in 1818 penned her novel about.... Frankenstein. Or was it the Golem stories (Clay creatures in medieval Jewish folklore) that warned us all 1st?

But we are humans. Despite all the warnings and fears... we go outside in the dark. We've explored the world, and made huge technological advances. We've venture into space. We now create intelligence greater than our own. It's in our very DNA. If our progressive nature is in fact our future self-destruction.... it can NOT be avoided.

P.S. I've been watching "Next" myself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:15:32 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 05:05:19 PM »

The ear buds arrived (Amazon delivery) this AM. I spent a few minutes setting up the buds on my phone. And... selecting the "correct size" tips and covers. Still not sure I have the best fit... as everything I've tried seems fine. I'll keep experimenting, I guess.

Mine has TONS of volume. Even for my ear... which didn't work well enough to hear a watch tick... 50 years ago. I don't know if Amazon fixed the volume issue or if Apple did. But it works.

I took it for a bike ride (it... not her). And used the noise cancelation feature to stop the wind noise. That also worked great. I only wore ONE ear bud. I hate it when cyclists, joggers, and walkers make themselves effectively deaf... and then fail to pay attention to their surroundings. So I was still aware of my surrounding (I even wear a mirror on my cycling glasses).

I listened to some oldies rock, got a weather report, and texted with my wife. All hands-free (Apple's Siri read me the text). Then as I approached the garage when I returned home... my home automation alerted me of the activity (via the Alexa app and my earbuds). I love this stuff!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:40:47 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »

I took it for a bike ride (it... not her). And used the noise cancelation feature to stop the wind noise. That also worked great. I only wore ONE ear bud. I hate it when cyclists, joggers, and walkers make themselves effectively deaf... and then fail to pay attention to their surroundings. So I was still aware of my surrounding (I even wear a mirror on my cycling glasses).
I have both the old Samsung "Icon" buds with "Ambient Sound" and the new Sony WM1000 with ambient sound and Sony's noise cancellation which is really good. I don't think I could wear buds without the ambient sound feature when outside. Just too much danger in not being able to hear what is going on around you. I was interested in the Amazon buds but holding off on purchasing. Wife tells me my fetish for bluetooth ear buds and LED flashlights needs to be reigned in. WAF is falling rapidly.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:49:38 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »

Wife tells me my fetish for bluetooth ear buds and LED flashlights needs to be reigned in. WAF is falling rapidly.

LED flashlights! Don't get me started of that modern innovation. Maybe it was because of a childhood with flashlights that gobbled up batteries... I don't know but I also have a passion for fine LED flashlights (that have no need to flash).

But these Amazon buds are my 1st venture into the bluetooth buds (baring my experimentation with BT and BVC Voice controlled X10 in 2007). These Amazon buds do have both an adjustable passthrough (to allow outside noise to get through) and a noise reduction. I found with the passthrough off and the noise reduction ON the bud effectively ended wind noise while bicycling. A bigger problem with winter cycling than I think most people realize. But I only used ONE bud. Fine for many uses... but NOT ideal for music lovers.

I do love taking my home automation with me when I go cycling. But I don't think this will blossom into earbud fetish. But then.... there is my attraction to jackets... that borders(?) on a compulsion. We all have are interests... and faults.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »

I never could get use to things in/on or covering my ears, ....... I do have Alexa on my watch howerver.....

Amazon has a "ring" as well. I was intrigued by it. But decided the earbuds was about as chancy as I was willing to invest in. 

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »

I received the Amazon earbuds and have used them a few times.

I don't feel qualified to "review" this product... as these are my very first earbuds. I'd never really even used the plug-in ear pieces or the ear covering headsets (outside of an Army Comm Shack headset).

But I CAN report.... I am NOT disappointed.

The Amazon Earbuds come with a variety of end cushions, and unit covers with little locking ears (?). I can be very active and the buds stay in my ears.... in place. I think I could even crash my bicycle and not lose the earbud(s). Although... there are no plans on testing that theory.

The sound has plenty of volume (even for my damaged (Army, again) and old ears.

I'd tried using both buds (great sound quality... or at least very good). I have also used just the left and just the right earbud. They pair with the phone as a pair or individually.

I've played music already downloaded to my phone. [I've listened to] Music streamed via Amazon. And tuned into (via voice request) local radio (using iheart).

One long push (then release) of either bud accesses Siri on my iphone.... which works great. But normally I can speak directly to Alexa with the normal wake word (like:  Alexa).

I find this an excellent way to remain connected (and AUTOMATED) while out bicycling. Next... the hologram   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.