Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This is bright  (Read 2942 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
This is bright
« on: October 18, 2020, 06:36:55 PM »

No.... bright is an understatement thing is blindingly bright.

I was watching TV last night and a commercial came on for Triburst (I think)... an as-seen-on-TV type product. [Then] My wife said "I could use one of those when I am sewing". So.... I went searching on-line and Amazon sent me (what I think is) and up-graded version of the same light. At 6000K, 6000LM it is bright. Almost too bright for normal use. But I am not a fan of diming lights (and I don't even know if the one I got dims). But if you have a use for a REALLY bright indoor light. These things could be useful... I think.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: This is bright
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:32:24 AM »

From the specifications you gave.
6000LM is extremely bright and 6000K is on the bright white color temperature side of color temperatures normally seen in LED bulbs.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »

My outdoor LED motion lights are 2000lm and are very bright outside.  They would be way too bright for an indoor fixture.  Then again, Costco has some ceiling panel lights that are around 4000lm and appear to be about 2-3x more light than is needed.  The one you linked appears to be similar to the ones you screw into a standard A19 style bulb base.  A 60W incandescent bulb produces around 800lm so you are basically replacing a 60W with a 450W bulb to get a reasonable comparison.  I replaced a pair of 100W with 200W in my garage and it was initially shocking how bright it was!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »

6000LM is extremely bright

Yes. Yes it is. Whereas the "TV" version are (I believe) all plastic... the one I bought has fin-work made of aluminum.

My outdoor LED motion lights are 2000lm and are very bright outside.  They would be way too bright for an indoor fixture.

I agree. As far as I am concerned.... for normal use... this thing is too bright. BUT... for wife approval (she asked for it) it works perfectly. You're correct it is just a normal "screw into a standard A19 style bulb base". The wife's sewing machine is in a semi-finished basement area and it replaced a bare (8 watt LED).

But there are... I am sure... many places where the cork-screw CFL were failures.... and 8-10 watt LED's weren't much better. A shop or work/hobby area comes to mind.

Also... I have an old double (2 each 250 watt) halogen portable work-light, I've used occasionally (for drywall and paint work). One of these lights could take it's place... but NOT use the same storage space.

I just thought this might be the biggest change in lighting I've seen in some time... and thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:25:12 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »

I have two of these shop lights over two work benches. Mine are an older 10,000lm version but I feel like Icarus when they are on.  I do a lot of detail work and soldering SMDs so bright is good. I think they are around 5000K.

I have wondered how good these "fan Lights" are...now I know. I am on my way to Amazon now.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/work-shop-lights/smart-electrician-reg-12000-lumen-44-led-shop-light/sh1260al344lf01/p-1100429375292972-c-1472133557086.htm?tid=-1&ipos=11
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »

I have wondered how good these "fan Lights" are...now I know. I am on my way to Amazon now.

Some of the "Fan-like wings/blades" on those lights are made from plastic (or resin) which I'd guess might hold-up like "wax in the hot sun". I got one with aluminum blades.... and it was still pretty cheapy priced.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »

I have two of these shop lights over two work benches. .....

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/work-shop-lights/smart-electrician-reg-12000-lumen-44-led-shop-light/sh1260al344lf01/p-1100429375292972-c-1472133557086.htm?tid=-1&ipos=11

Such a tiny little world. I had picked up one of those same lights (at Menards) to replace an old light in the laundry room. Very nice... Great WAF too. I just recently rewired the light so the switch in the laundry controls another light. The bright LED strip-light is controlled by a YoLink motion sensor and plug module.... which works with Alexa... or without Internet.

LED's have really been a great "plus". I hated the little CFL's... even though I used them. But with cheap (and now BRIGHT) LED's I have lighting everywhere. I was recently looking at replacing my old emergency generator (it's small). But after reviewing my use/needs/requirements.... I realized everything now uses so little electric I might be good with what was like designed to be a tailgate sized unit. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »

But after reviewing my use/needs/requirements.... I realized everything now uses so little electric I might be good with what was like designed to be a tailgate sized unit.
Yeah, we only have four filament bulbs in the whole house.... BUT, have I seen a drop in Duke Energy usage? Nope. In fact,  September 2020 we used 1347 kWh, September 2013 we used 1264 kWh. So we are using 83 kW more. Must be those damn four Edison bulbs.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »

Yeah, we only have four filament bulbs in the whole house.... BUT, have I seen a drop in Duke Energy usage? Nope. In fact...... So we are using 83 kW more.

Even back in "ye ole days" lighting was never more than about 12% of the "light bill" (as people used to call it).

Things that could bump up an electric bill.... #1 is leaky faucets when you have an electric water heater. A bad ground can cause extra electric usage as well. Big old electric motors with oil taps... that haven't been properly oiled. A bad seal on a frig or freezer (try the dollar bill test). Clogged gutters... that cause a sump pump to work more than it should have to. And even if you heat with natural gas... too hot or too cold means more furnace motor running. I'd track down the increase.... and kill it.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »

For years..... I failed to see any great benefit to a dimmer. I've often reminisced about the 1950's when rheostat controlled large wattage bulbs were the rage. Mainly because home were underwired and one centralized bulb was a norm. I've had, or found little use for dimmers in my house..... until.

I had cataract surgery earlier in the week. And soon after realized just how f***ing BRIGHT my home is. I swear to God... I had no idea how dim my world had become... and for so many years. There is hardly a room in my home that couldn't be used for minor surgery (or other uses that require strong bight light).

So..... sorry. My comments on lighting were off a bit. I now dim lights too.

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »

For years..... I failed to see any great benefit to a dimmer.
So..... sorry. My comments on lighting were off a bit. I now dim lights too.

I only have one real use for dimmed lights. I have a bunch of ceiling spot lights that I have focused on some paintings. I can only find the "spot" bulbs needed in 50 watt halogen. So I always set these to around 40%. The rest of my lighting is pretty much chosen so that 100% is normal.

Glad to hear that you can see again. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.