Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Utilizing the GPIO Pins.  (Read 4013 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Utilizing the GPIO Pins.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »

If you’re into minimalism you could bury this little gem from Gene into your CM15. It’s an embedded X10 solution and the project looks fairly straightforward and would solve all your problems as it’s based on the ESP 8266 board and gives plenty of expansion options including GPIO and other features https://github.com/genielabs/homegenie-mini

But you still gotta solder some headers!  rofl

Happy New Year All!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 04:01:17 AM »

rofl
Happy New Years!
I had looked at Gene's mini when he first developed it, however I already had the ZeroW in my CM15.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »

I thought  about utilizing more then one GPIO project and combining them into one . The first example is using my current DHT Sensor project with a project to light up a LED on the pi case prviding a visual alert that Temperature or Humidity needed attention. I suspect the GPIO HG addon project can turn on off a LED connected to a GPIO pin.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »

I thought  about utilizing more then one GPIO project and combining them into one . The first example is using my current DHT Sensor project with a project to light up a LED on the pi case prviding a visual alert that Temperature or Humidity needed attention. I suspect the GPIO HG addon project can turn on off a LED connected to a GPIO pin.

While using sensors in conjunction with GPIO, breadboards, connectors, capacitors, soldering etc is a good tinkering exercise for anyone interested in environmental projects the RPI Sense Hat does all that work for you. Just snaps onto the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins and includes all the Python libraries you’ll ever need to create your own weather station.

Six on board sensors will allow you to cover most if not all of a weather station’s sensor range without all the hardship. All neatly contained on one board and can be used as is indoors and with a suitable housing and a solar powered battery pack can be deployed neatly outdoors. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/sense-hat/

Definitely worth checking out for those interested in all things sensors without all the laborious setup.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 06:00:28 PM »

I seen this gas sensor kit while going through Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BONATECH-Modules-Project-Starter-Detection/dp/B07D9H74LT/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=MQ-8+gas+sensor&linkCode=gs3&qid=1609973259&sr=8-15&tag=787ca-20
I could see a use for most of them at my off grid place. the world of the GPIO pins is opening up some great remote monitoring options.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 06:12:17 PM »

You might want to look into those sensors more closely. They indicate they require 5v to power them but I dont see their logic level. Usually, when not published, I would assume the logic level will be only the same as the input voltage. Since the RPi GPIO are not 5v tolerant, you might burn something up if you just plug it in without proper circuit protection.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 02:58:42 AM »

For anyone relatively new to the world of the GPIO interface you may want to refer to this document. It exploits the built in the Pi programming language Scratch and gives a good grounding in the safe use of sensors. We have the kids here plugging away at the various different projects and of course they are flying through them.

Please heed the cautionary notes in this document as mentioned above by bkenobi. Fried Pi is not something anyone would want to see or worse a house full of burning embers https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/physical-computing-with-scratch/2

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 08:11:05 AM »

You might want to look into those sensors more closely. They indicate they require 5v to power them but I dont see their logic level. Usually, when not published, I would assume the logic level will be only the same as the input voltage. Since the RPi GPIO are not 5v tolerant, you might burn something up if you just plug it in without proper circuit protection.
Good to Know thanks!
I did look up specs for most if not all the sensors in the package and most state they don't go over 4 volts. There are 1 or 2 that do not state their max voltage pull.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 08:15:10 AM »

Please heed the cautionary notes in this document as mentioned above by bkenobi. Fried Pi is not something anyone would want to see or worse a house full of burning embers https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/physical-computing-with-scratch/2
Nice link makes me feel like a Kid again. (not a bad thing!) ;)
I did see some projects that could be utilized with HG however most are for creating games.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

The ROi was developed to be an inexpensive learning tool for kids in less developed areas of the world. It was intended to give an opportunity to learn about HW and software without the expense or knowledge typical with more traditional tools. By providing an all in one development board and PC for $40 that merely requires a psu, keyboard, and display, they made it a tool anyone can afford to buy or even donate. The software was all free and open source including the stretch programming environment which includes lessons.

The fact that they eventually decided to sell to everyone else was a true bonus and not by initial design. The hobbyist community has boomed based on these boards, but we weren't in any of the plans originally.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.