Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: End of an era possibly????  (Read 18396 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
End of an era possibly????
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:14:50 PM »

Just caught a glimpse of the post on the X10 side of things at the Home Seer forum. Any truth in it or just another rumour https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/system-software-controllers/hs4-hs4pro-software/1445399-re-cm11a-or-alternative

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: End of an era possibly????
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »

Just caught a glimpse of the post on the X10 side of things at the Home Seer forum. Any truth in it or just another rumour https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/system-software-controllers/hs4-hs4pro-software/1445399-re-cm11a-or-alternative

True.  Jeff has posted several times here about his retirement and the winding down of his X10 product line.  All but 3 items are already unavailable and will be missed.  He still has the XTBR, XTB-IIR and XTB-523 listed.
http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_ordering.htm

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »

Yes it is true.
As pointed out. There are a few posts on the subject in this section here.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=102.0
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=31397.0

Jeff's forums are also gone.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:03:36 AM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:54 AM »

I knew he was shutting down a while back but I guess I didn't realize he had a forum.  Maybe I did and just forgot since I went back and forth with Jeff a few times in the past.  I don't know how much technical topics were on the site, but it would probably be good to archive the forum for future reference if appropriate.  There have been several that have gone down in the past and taken all their valuable knowledge with them.

I keep hoping someone will step in and at least offer Jeff's products in a kit form so that they aren't lost too.  I know keeping stock on hand is challenging if the sales numbers are small, so not sure how feasible that proposition is.  There are small count PCB printing houses these days that don't appear to be all that expensive.  Some of those even offer population in their service.  Seems like setting up the products that way would be better than having them lost.  I'm not sure of the ramifications since I recall Jeff stating chip being obsoleted causes a change in the design.

Anyway, it's great that Jeff's been so dedicated over the years and deserves the ability to step back if it's time!   >!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »

I knew he was shutting down a while back but I guess I didn't realize he had a forum.  Maybe I did and just forgot since I went back and forth with Jeff a few times in the past.  I don't know how much technical topics were on the site, but it would probably be good to archive the forum for future reference if appropriate.  There have been several that have gone down in the past and taken all their valuable knowledge with them.

I keep hoping someone will step in and at least offer Jeff's products in a kit form so that they aren't lost too.  I know keeping stock on hand is challenging if the sales numbers are small, so not sure how feasible that proposition is.  There are small count PCB printing houses these days that don't appear to be all that expensive.  Some of those even offer population in their service.  Seems like setting up the products that way would be better than having them lost.  I'm not sure of the ramifications since I recall Jeff stating chip being obsoleted causes a change in the design.

Anyway, it's great that Jeff's been so dedicated over the years and deserves the ability to step back if it's time!   >!

From reading through the technical articles both here and other sources many it would appear owe him a debt of gratitude when it comes to all things X10.It's always sad to hear when any business closes and maybe it could be argued that the ultimate aim for anyone in business is to reach retirement, it's always more poignant to hear that there's nobody to carry on it's owners legacy.

Yes X10 is slowly dying out as is probably most of it's owners with it. That's testament to the technology's legacy. Quality and durability spring to mind but unfortunately users are unwilling to pay a premium for either these days. I've never owned any of Jeff's products, or not that I'm aware of but reading through some of his technical publications has certainly pointed me in the right direction on more than one occasion.

Clearly his business model would be the envy of most budding entrepreneurs out there. I'm surprised nobody has taken on the challenge to continue this venture, maybe not as a core business but certainly as a bolt on acquisition. I'd relish the challenge myself but unfortunately it is outside my jurisdiction. Maybe someone here in the world of 120v/310mhz could take another look at a possible missed opportunity.

Anyway the best of luck and happiness in your retirement Jeff and hopefully many years ahead of it for you. A big loss for the X10 world no doubt.  >!

brobin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »

One would think that X10/Authinx itself would take on Jeff's product line or even just parts of it but they've shown little to no interest.  That's the saddest part of all!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »

One would think that X10/Authinx itself would take on Jeff's product line or even just parts of it but they've shown little to no interest.  That's the saddest part of all!

Well I hate to say it but if the best you have to offer is a WM100 it would be best if they passed on it.Best for the legacy of Jeff's work that is. Maybe there's one or two closer to home always on the lookout to make a buck that might be interested,It would probably suit someone semi retired with time on their hands

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »

Yes, I am phasing down the XTB business.  I spent over a decade working pretty much 7 days a week and up to 12 hours a day designing, producing, and supporting the products as well as responding to hundreds of questions from other X10 users.  I'm just burnt out.  Over the last year I've finally been able to catch up on some things around the house that had been put off for years.

Status:  The XTBR and XTB-523 will remain available for the foreseeable future.  There are only about two dozen XTB-IIR/+ left, so they will be discontinued soon.  I will continue to support any units that may need repair.

If anyone decides to step up to take over production, I'd be happy to work out a deal with them.  For a new design, I think a XTB-USB (USB version of the XTB-232) would be a good product.

Regarding the Forum disappearing, that was a result of Bluehost upgrading the forum software.  I tried the changes that should have made it compatible with the new software, but that didn't work and caused problems for my basic website.  Since there had been very little activity on my forum over the last year, it wasn't worth the effort to try to resurrect it.

Further thoughts:  If someone is willing to step up to take over production and sales, I'd be willing to "batch kit" some of the products.  The PCBs and machined cases are gone, but I still have many of the through-hole electronic components left over.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:39:45 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »

For a new design, I think a XTB-USB (USB version of the XTB-232) would be a good product.
The WiFi/RF add-on I designed for the XTB-232 converts it to a USB interface. I'll gladly pass that design along if someone takes over your line.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »

Yes, I am phasing down the XTB business.  I spent over a decade working pretty much 7 days a week and up to 12 hours a day designing, producing, and supporting the products as well as responding to hundreds of questions from other X10 users.  I'm just burnt out.  Over the last year I've finally been able to catch up on some things around the house that had been put off for years.

Status:  The XTBR and XTB-523 will remain available for the foreseeable future.  There are only about two dozen XTB-IIR/+ left, so they will be discontinued soon.  I will continue to support any units that may need repair.

If anyone decides to step up to take over production, I'd be happy to work out a deal with them.  For a new design, I think a XTB-USB (USB version of the XTB-232) would be a good product.

Regarding the Forum disappearing, that was a result of Bluehost upgrading the forum software.  I tried the changes that should have made it compatible with the new software, but that didn't work and caused problems for my basic website.  Since there had been very little activity on my forum over the last year, it wasn't worth the effort to try to resurrect it.

Further thoughts:  If someone is willing to step up to take over production and sales, I'd be willing to "batch kit" some of the products.  The PCBs and machined cases are gone, but I still have many of the through-hole electronic components left over.

Jeff

All I can say is no matter what forum or website I've visited over the years the mention of X10 is quickly followed by the name Jeff Volp, possibly in the same breath. It's a fortunate thing to be able to combine a hobby and a passion and turn it into a living. Not many manage that and fortunately for many users of X10 both here and many other forums you managed to do that successfully.

Hopefully someone with a bit of foresight will take up your offer. It's an opportunity not to be missed for the right person and once again I hope you have many healthy and productive years ahead of you in your retirement. It certainly looks like you deserve it  >!

brobin

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 06:43:18 PM »

Jeff

All I can say is no matter what forum or website I've visited over the years the mention of X10 is quickly followed by the name Jeff Volp, possibly in the same breath. It's a fortunate thing to be able to combine a hobby and a passion and turn it into a living. Not many manage that and fortunately for many users of X10 both here and many other forums you managed to do that successfully.

Hopefully someone with a bit of foresight will take up your offer. It's an opportunity not to be missed for the right person and once again I hope you have many healthy and productive years ahead of you in your retirement. It certainly looks like you deserve it  >!
^^^^
THIS x 2

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »

Thank you all very much for your kind comments!

Jeff

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »

So many of you have requested a XTB-232 that I ordered another small batch of PCBs for those of you willing to order the components and assemble your own units.  I don't want to spend weeks sitting at the bench assembling them myself, but maybe someone else will step up to take over.

Jeff

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:48 AM »

So many of you have requested a XTB-232 that I ordered another small batch of PCBs for those of you willing to order the components and assemble your own units
Among the CM15A, CM11A, and XTB-232, the XTB-232 is the only option that's been rock solid for me.  I would love to have another to ease the transition as I'm moving houses.

Jeff, how do I get on that waiting list?  :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

Among the CM15A, CM11A, and XTB-232, the XTB-232 is the only option that's been rock solid for me.  I would love to have another to ease the transition as I'm moving houses.

Jeff, how do I get on that waiting list?  :)

I'll start one now.  But it will likely be just the PCB, programmed PIC, an unmachined case, and possibly a few other left over components unless someone else steps up to take over the assembly.  (Cases are way too expensive to have machined in small quantities.)

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.