Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: cannot access ha bridge  (Read 19485 times)

bobbyds1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: cannot access ha bridge
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 10:37:09 AM »

i did what you said and now I can access ha-bridge on my pc and alexa has found all devices and every thing is working.

Thank you so much Tuicemen I really appreciate all your Help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:33:48 AM by bobbyds1 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »

Ok lets try opening the file to see what the settings are.
from the ha-bridge/data folder type nano habridge.config and paste the contents here
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 12:01:22 PM »

Ok lets try opening the file to see what the settings are.
from the ha-bridge/data folder type nano habridge.config and paste the contents here

Surely it would have been easier to point the OP to the source of your solution instead of transcribing the lot here. Users then might be able to understand a little more about the whole HA Bridge concept and how it works and how all these temporary workarounds come about https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/1277

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 12:19:24 PM »

Surely it would have been easier to point the OP to the source of your solution instead of transcribing the lot here. Users then might be able to understand a little more about the whole HA Bridge concept and how it works and how all these temporary workarounds come about https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/1277
I did point them to ha-bridge/issues!
Most users here have moved to other alternatives to HA-Bridge/HomeGenie for Alexa. It is best to look at https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues as petera suggested. Chances are someone has ran into the same issues and posted there. bwssytems has a good handle on the software and can usually quickly get a issue sorted out.
Obviously what was posted there either didn't help, or they never looked.  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »

I did point them to ha-bridge/issues!
Most users here have moved to other alternatives to HA-Bridge/HomeGenie for Alexa. It is best to look at https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues as petera suggested. Chances are someone has ran into the same issues and posted there. bwssytems has a good handle on the software and can usually quickly get a issue sorted out.
Obviously what was posted there either didn't help, or they never looked.  ::) :'

It might be a little more productive to encourage users to go to the sources of the information you supply for them. Besides the benefit of gaining a little more knowledge about the environment they are working in it also highlights the efforts others put in to provide these solutions and give them the due credit they deserve.

I’m still puzzled as to why the HA Bridge is still being used. HomeGenie provides all the tools necessary to create your own local Alexa service via UPnP. Once the SSDP is set up correctly, the UDP port and your Endpoints are defined you have the makings of a local Alexa service. Most of that work has already been done in HomeGenie and all you need to do is to adjust the above headings to reflect the current state of Alexa. Not a lot of work involved in that and the bonus of dispensing with a 3rd party service.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

I’m still puzzled as to why the HA Bridge is still being used. HomeGenie provides all the tools necessary to create your own local Alexa service via UPnP. Once the SSDP is set up correctly, the UDP port and your Endpoints are defined you have the makings of a local Alexa service. Most of that work has already been done in HomeGenie and all you need to do is to adjust the above headings to reflect the current state of Alexa. Not a lot of work involved in that and the bonus of dispensing with a 3rd party service.
By all means take over and explain to the bobbyds1 and ayone else who may wish this knowlege.
This was to be a community effort but I only see a few contributing while others question why things aren't done a particular way. ::) :'
It also may be helpful if users spent some time and learned to only quote what is relavent. It realy does help things be less confussing. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »

HomeGenie provides all the tools necessary to create your own local Alexa service via UPnP. Once the SSDP is set up correctly, the UDP port and your Endpoints are defined you have the makings of a local Alexa service. Most of that work has already been done in HomeGenie and all you need to do is to adjust the above headings to reflect the current state of Alexa.

@petera, I know this makes perfect sense to you and a number of others - but to 99+% of the world that sentence may have well been written in ancient Sanskrit.  UPnP, SSDP, UDP, is as meaningful to most as MIC-KEY-MOUSE (at least they understand that one).  Not to mention that most folks, sadly, can't even follow a short page of step-by-step instructions.  We see it all the time here.  We ask someone to do A, B & C to test something and maybe, we get 2 out of the three with some other counter-productive step added. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »

A simple pointer to the solution source saves all the typing. Speeds things up too.

Believe me I’ve given the solution so many times and the users ignore it by tagging the response with your name demanding your attention when there’s a problem. In case the guys here haven’t noticed this is a Linux environment when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, and believe me I know Linux. I don’t need to Google the answers.

I generally wouldn’t attempt to answer Windows related issues. That’s your domain. If the membership here feel you’re the only you that can answer their queries I won’t waste my time responding but hell, the queries go on for pages and many are resolved by the user themselves without even realising it.

If you feel you can run the entire gig yourself, by all means go ahead, it’s your forum not X10’s as I thought when I signed up. I know all about community effort, I participate in enough of them. One of the most annoying aspect of some of the participants are the ones who choose not to link to a source for the answer but for some reason choose to transcribe the answer verbatim without mentioning the source. I wonder why. No sources, no context and that’s where the problem lies.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »

HomeGenie provides all the tools necessary to create your own local Alexa service via UPnP. Once the SSDP is set up correctly, the UDP port and your Endpoints are defined you have the makings of a local Alexa service. Most of that work has already been done in HomeGenie and all you need to do is to adjust the above headings to reflect the current state of Alexa.

@petera, I know this makes perfect sense to you and a number of others - but to 99+% of the world that sentence may have well been written in ancient Sanskrit.  UPnP, SSDP, UDP, is as meaningful to most as MIC-KEY-MOUSE (at least they understand that one).  Not to mention that most folks, sadly, can't even follow a short page of step-by-step instructions.  We see it all the time here.  We ask someone to do A, B & C to test something and maybe, we get 2 out of the three with some other counter-productive step added.

Maybe you’re not asking the correct questions or maybe you’re not giving the users the credit they they deserve.

My reference to SSDP, UDP and Endpoints was clearly targeted at Mr T who mentioned a while back that he was going to get the Alexa bridge service with HomeGenie working a while back. So far nothing has happened and as a result users are having to spend unnecessarily on additional equipment like the Smartenit hub which frankly appears to be more trouble than its worth if recent postings are anything to go by.

As has been mentioned here before by a number of users, the purchase of a HomeSeer HomeTroller rrp $129.00 and half that at discount price would solve all these issues in one go. https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/smart-home-hubs/controller-level_advanced The typical user here is looking for a plug’n’go solution along the lines of AHP and that’s exactly what they get with that unit, and a dedicated technical backup when needed instead of messing around with sticking plaster solutions.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2021, 04:25:21 PM »

Yep, That's my point. Packaged Plug 'n Play solutions!

bobbyds1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:08 PM »

I'm sorry i didn't explain the solution thanks to Tuiceman for helping and pointing me to different things to try, Id be up ****s creek.  So to get everything working i had to remove the habridge. config file as it had gotten corrupted. after i deleted  it and rebooted pi, iwas able to access ha-bridge.  From there i had to renumber all my devices in ha-bridge and then point the home genie reference under bridge control to the correct ip of home genie. After doing all that ask alexa to find all devices it found all my x-10 devices and everything works fine..

Again, Thank you Tuiceman for all your help and patience it is greatly appreciated..

regards,

Bobbyds1

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »

My reference to SSDP, UDP and Endpoints was clearly targeted at Mr T who mentioned a while back that he was going to get the Alexa bridge service with HomeGenie working a while back.
I did not say I would get the echo bridge working! I said I may look at it.
Since clearly petera, you have it working or know how to, there is  need to look at it.
I have currently 3 or 4 different ways to use Alexa with X10 (if I wished) I don't need a 5th. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »

I'm sorry i didn't explain the solution
No need to apologize, I'm just glad to see your up and running. :)% >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »

I have a similiar issue.  After a rebuild, I HA Bridge is not being discovered by Alexa.  Any help would be appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.