Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How may X10 devices are you using with Alexa?

1-5
- 1 (50%)
5-10
- 1 (50%)
10-20
- 0 (0%)
More then 20
- 0 (0%)
I don't use Alexa with X10
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: What x10 devices are you controlling with Alexa?  (Read 2487 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
What x10 devices are you controlling with Alexa?
« on: February 20, 2021, 04:35:37 PM »

So many devices now have Alexa built in, even my wife's new Instant Pot (pressure cooker).
Many here have jumped on the Alexa band wagon and there are several ways now to control X10 with Alexa. Sadly no X10 Skill for the WM100 (yet).
 I'm wondering what all is every one is using Alexa and X10 devices for?
I do use Alexa with X10 but in the city all are just lights ( 8 ), at my off grid place I actually control more x10 things(5) then just lights (2).
 The 5 things I use Alexa/X10  control are mostly related to my heating system, out door boiler, radiant heating(2), wood stove fan, the other is my X10 security arm/disarm.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:20:46 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: What x10 devices are you controlling with Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:07:39 PM »

I have about ten X10 modules that are controlled by Alexa plus a bunch of 'pseudo modules' which are just X10 codes that are heard and acted on by my Stargate controller to activate relays.  For example, "Alexa close garage door," tells the Smartenit P2 Hub to send X10 code  D7-OFF.  When the Stargate hears that it responds by momentarily closing a relay that's wired to a garage door transmitter.  I could've just used a Universal Module but I have other things in the Stargate schedule to add security to that event.
Another example is a 'pseudo module' that triggers other non-X10 actions.  "Alexa, good morning," has the P2 Hub send an X10 code that tells the Stargate to send serial messages to the Hunter-Douglas controller to open the shades and to the alarm system to disarm it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:38:53 PM »

I read an article today which stated the more devices you had Alexa controlling the slower discovery was (obviously  ::) :' )and the more likely hood of missed commands. I did notice my discovery to be a bit slower the more devices and skills I added (not just X10 devices).
The article also stated the obvious that network speed also played a role in discovery and command fails.
Since I'm still under 15 devices (total including skills ) at each place, that may explain why Alexa works so well for me at both places  ??? ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 09:04:04 AM »

I reset this poll as I had played with a esp-01  to emulate wemo devices and was able to use one to handle my X10 Alexa needs. It has been working flawless for several years now, well up untill last month when my wife wanted to cut the cost of our internet and ended up with a different modem. So I either have to look at reprogramming the router or the esp-01 or use Trigger CMD Smart Home more. Originaly no one was admitting to using Alexa with more the 20 X10 devices so I was wondering if that is still the case. In my case I actually use Alexa with fewer X10 modules now ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »

I use Alexa with roughly 35 X10 devices. Every inside and outside light, plus a few things like turning on the video fireplace, activating the pool solar heat, etc. I have the ha-bridge set up, which then sends tcp commands to my X10 bridge (a program of my own making that sends commands through a CM11A). Some X10 commands are sent to my Ocelot, which can then activate relays and send IR commands. Works well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »

I used HA-Bridge for several years with a program I also created then move it to HomeGenie it worked very well untill Amazon reworked something which stopped Alexa from discovering new devices on it.  I may install it again to see if that has been resolved. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 10:17:01 AM »

You might be referring to the "9 octet" hue-id bug that was fixed with a new release of ha-bridge. Get the latest version: 5.41

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.