Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LM465 and LED lamps  (Read 1100 times)

MrVideo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LM465 and LED lamps
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »

I purchased a used PLM01. I then noticed that the led lamp glows when off. Doing some digging I discovered that it is a result of current so that "local control" will function. Looking at the x10 website, the LM465 module was listed as having the "local control" capability disabled so that it will work with led lamps. So, I bought a new LM465. I switched it out with the older unit and the led lamp still glows.

So, what gives? Is there a module that really works with led lamps, or is there a mod that can be done with the LM465 that will disable "local control?"

Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:00:19 PM by MrVideo »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: LM465 and LED lamps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 06:25:21 AM »

Is the LM465 Soft Start? Where the load ramps on and off in a few seconds and not an instant on off like the earlier ones with local control. Presently sold ones should be Soft Start.

My 2008 and 2009 Soft Start LM465 modules still have the local control sensing. I can not say if the presently sold one are now local control free. They may also be an even later design now.

What is the LED bulbs equivalence rating? Web site indicates 40W equivalent or greater dimmable LED Bulbs.

The Soft Start versions are an updated design and I have seen no mods posted to modify them. Like the older ones with Local Control. I did disable one of my 2008 LM465 modules. Will have to see if I can find data.

I don't believe there are any other module that do X10 any more. Insteon dropped their optional  X10 support in their modules awhile back. Though older models my still unofficially support X10.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:09:10 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »

There are several manufacturers of LED bulbs. Some work better then others.
If your LED bulb isn't  dimmable there is a high chance one would see the results you see.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »

If you want to test for Local Control in your module.
With the LM465 Off. Turn the lamps switch. From on to off and back on again. If the LM465 module turns on. Your LM465 has local control.

If you look at the date code sticker on the back of the module. It should give you added information on its age.
Codes I have seen are on a round sticker. 2 digits, letter, 2 digits.
If you didn't get it directly from X10 sales. It maybe possible yours is a new but earlier module stock.

The PLM04 is the replacement for the PLM01. It has no local control. Showing on the sales site.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:13:56 AM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »

An AM466 or AM486 might solve your problem.

MrVideo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:24 PM »

Date code: 01H34. 8.5W lamp, which I believe is equal to 60W. It takes about a second for the lamp to turn on, or off. When I screwed the lamp back in, it came on.

I did not get it from X10 sales, but it was listed as new and it came in the box with the original packing and instructions.

Since it appears to be an earlier model, can it be modified? If it can't be modified, I'll look into the AM486 The web page for the device doesn't indicate that it does, or does not, have local control.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »

You may want to look at this X10 wiki page.
It describes soft start and date codes. http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SoftStart
Yours does not sound like soft start as it ramps on and off slowly.
If you disassemble it. If it has the 18 pin controller chip. You can see on Tom's modification page. It is the before soft start version. As the new soft start model has a surface mounted chip on the solder side of the board.

Your date code 01H34. Looks like 34th week of 2001. Maybe new in box but sounds like it is not a recently made module.

There are modifications for the older before soft start. To eliminate the local control sensing current in the older units. I will see if I can find a still active site with that information. As many are now gone.

Tom still has some data on his site but some of the links to schematics are no longer working. Tom's mod removed D10. That will disable local control from turning it back on but looks like the current is still there as the two resistors I removed also killed the current. Info only. The 1N4148 is a switching diode not a zener diode as Tom called it.

http://www.laureanno.com/index.html

Attached is a pdf file of the lamp module version I modified. May not match your version as offhand I don't have the date code I used and it may not match yours.

The AM466 is an on off type module and does not dim. The presently made ones are called CFL friendly. That don't have local control sensing. They may still have the very small sensing for the controller to see if the internal relay is on or off. The earlier versions have local control sensing. They also have modifications to remove if.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:18:03 PM by Brian H »

MrVideo

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 12:42:40 AM »

Yours does not sound like soft start as it ramps on and off slowly.
Don't you mean that it doesn't start slowly?
If you disassemble it. If it has the 18 pin controller chip. You can see on Tom's modification page. It is the before soft start version. As the new soft start model has a surface mounted chip on the solder side of the board.
Thanks for the schematic, with the annotation. I've opened it up and it is indeed the older unit. I've located the parts and will be heating up my soldering iron in a little while in order to remove the three parts.

What I find interesting is that the schematic doesn't include part labels. I've looked at many schematics over my career and I don't remember any without part labels.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 01:38:22 AM by MrVideo »

MrVideo

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 01:39:38 AM »

Operation complete. Parts removed and no more glow. Turns on and off just fine. Thanks for the info.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »

Yes a very poor choice of words.
Tried to say it doesn't start slowly.  :'

Many of the X10 schematics. Third party participants don't have any component numbers on them.
As their were different design changes over the years.
You may find some schematics don't match the one you are looking for.

I have also seen one of an appliance module that looks wrong. Parts may smoke if the schematic was correctly showing connections.  :(

The Active Home Pro CM15A is one I can remember has schematics, parts lists and test results in the FCC Database. Other X10WTI schematics in the FCC Database have more information in them. Since the FCC Database only covers X10 modules with a transmitter in them. Not all modules can be found there. Grantee Code for X10 is B4S. Product code is also on the modules label. Pick the Details Choice when the module you search for is found.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

The PC Boards do have silk screened part numbers on them but no designation on the schematics.
The ones I added to the modification information. Was from physical testing and looking at the schematic.

I can not say about the presently sold LM465. That they say has no Local Control and may have an even later PC Board. In my 2008 era soft start that has Local Control. Removing R14 330K 1/2 Watt kills it.

Glad you got it working the way you wanted it.  #:)    >!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:21:18 AM by Brian H »

MrVideo

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »

Thanks for the updated info. Hopefully this thread will help other users in the future.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.