Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: backing up ahp  (Read 3354 times)

donutlou

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
backing up ahp
« on: June 27, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »

can anyone give me the play by play on how to back up my ahp to my external harddrive so when i get a new computer i dont need to remake all my macros.
appreciate it much.
where is the ahp program or macro library located?

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: backing up ahp
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »

Look in Program Files\ActiveHome Pro\ for .AHX files. This will preserve your macros, but not all of your other settings, most of which are in the registry.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »

Something I do which I find handy... I created a shortcut (right click, create shortcut) to the folder.

Then I placed that shortcut on my desktop.

Everytime I make a AHP change.... I change the name of the file. My ahx files are named by date, then letter. The 2nd change [if made today] would be named: 27jun07B

Before I walk away from my PC when done making changes, I open the folder on my desktop, right-click and copy the newest ahx file, then paste a copy to a flash-drive.

Ok...... I have a complete back-up Home Automation PC too. I use BVC and have no intentions of having "down-time".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:08:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 12:01:02 AM »

...Everytime I make a AHP change.... I change the name of the file. My ahx files are named by date, then letter. The 2nd change [if made today] would be named: 27jun07B...
How far back do you archive your backups? I just keep 1 maybe 2 levels of backup for the ahx file on my backup drive. Of course I do a complete weekly image backup of my entire hard drive.
For files that I do keep multiple backups by naming them by date, I use the format: YYMMDD. That way they always list in chronological order.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 05:43:20 PM »

How far back do you archive your backups?

It's not that I go back so far (in time) with my back-up ahx files. But when making changes.... I may try different setups. Because I am not a "master of macros" (by any definition) it can take me a few days before I feel sure my macros are bug free.

What I (mostly) use AHP for is my BVC setup. Most of commands are macros, and even though I keep lists (even paper lists), I still get confused and make errors. It's nice to be able to UN-do my most recent changes and RE-build just my last change or two.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:10:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.