Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improving RF range for DS10A  (Read 5545 times)

coghlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Improving RF range for DS10A
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »

I just put one of these things in the basement on our freezer door.  It configured okay, but the CM15A (on main floor of house) seems to miss over 50% of the RF events. 

Is trying to put the sensors and a CM15A on different floors of the house a non-starter?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Improving RF range for DS10A
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

The DS10A range is not the problem; the CM15A's reception is generally atrocious.

There are many posts and ideas for improvements for the CM15A antenna on the forum. There are some mods that will void your warranty and also some non-intrusive ones.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »

Another thought besides the CM15A's range. If you mounted the detector directly on the freezer's metal door. Metal can effect the sensor. As a test try mounting it 1 or more inches off the door itself.

coghlan

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »

I can see the LED flashing, but there's no corresponding RF event in the activity monitor.

The AHP software is really neat, but the hardware seems to be its achilles heel.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of X-10!  All of the replies here are on the mark, but Puck hit the bullseye!  There's tons of threads about antenna mods for the CM15a. (I soldered an 18" piece of wire on to the end of mine)

If you really want the RF to get to the CM15a you can:
1. Decrease the distance between the two.  (Usually not an option)
2. Increase the CM15a's reception - (antenna mods)
3. Buy an SR731 RF Signal repeater (on eBay ~$50)
4. Buy a V572RF32 from WGLDesigns - it converts the sensor's RF to a HC/UC address of your choice and sends it on the powerline. (~$85)

I would at least do as Brian suggested and move the DS10a's body as far from the metal door as the leads allow.

Let us know how you make out!

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

coghlan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »

The initial problem I'm trying to solve is to be able to install DS10As around the house and use them as triggers so my CM15A can e-mail me when certain things are going on (leave fridge door open etc.).  How does the V572RF32 perform this roll?

After much research, I'm leaning towards trying to extend the CM15A's antenna with a 9.5 inch piece of copper wire to get 50-100' reception.

The whole situation seems a bit bizarre.  The CM15A and all the software add-ons that I got with it (send e-mail etc.) seems ideal for what I'm trying to do, but the supplied antenna is the achilles heel of the whole thing.

I hope X10 fires their product manager and hires someone who will get their engineering people to put out a useful CM15A so that people don't have to jump through all these hoops just to use the damn thing. 

Can you imagine buying anything other consumer product that you had to re-engineer in order to get good use out of it?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »

Can you imagine buying anything other consumer product that you had to re-engineer in order to get good use out of it?

I racked my brain trying to come up with an example for you... but I have to honest... I can't think of a single electronic product that I have to alter or modify to make useable in my home. The CM15A does have room for improvement.

That being said... X10 isn't a plug-N-play system. It does require a little self-engineering. I think some of us find this to actually be a bit of fun. I truly enjoy my X10 setup and the automation creations that I have.

One thing I have done with the DS10A's... [is] I extended the wires from the unit to the magnetic switch (tiny wire nuts). Then I centrally located the units [part] away from problem areas....... like metal doors.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:06:04 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

coghlan

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

I'd really like to see the acceptance test plan they went through before marketing this thing.  If the security sensors came out AFTER the CM15A, okay, perhaps they were a bit reluctant to respin the design and put out a new rev - with a 9.5" longer antenna, or a telescopic one.

The DS10A is quite versatile for various applications, but the CM15A needs to be able to "hear" it, else everything is a non-starter.

I thought for $49 (or was it $59?) I had a great opportunity to try out some basic HA without my wife noticing :-)

I will try the antenna extension.  If that doesn't work I may have to look into Homeseer and a 3rd-party 310 MHz receiver.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »

........... I may have to look into Homeseer and a 3rd-party 310 MHz receiver.

Jumping back to the OLD CM11A (Homeseer) won't likely give you the satisfaction I think your looking for. Other receiver products can be helpful though. I did a simple solder on a wire mod to my CM15A. I have even hear of good results with a wire-tied or taped on hunk of coat hanger. The CM15A... with all it's faults... is the best single HA piece of equipment out there.

A FUN project for the DS10A! <link

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:24:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 04:06:10 PM »

All that was needed was a longer plastic tube for the Receiver Antenna. Can't say about the present ones but all of my earlier ones have the extra 9.5" of wire loosly wound around the case inside the CM15A. Mine was a jumbled set of loops. One  later Date Code unit; the wire was glued neatly around the case.

One thing to keep in mind. X10 powerline signaling was developed long before the massive electronic gadgets everyone needs; where released. So all the modern signal suckers; noise makers; etc. Now have to be taken care of.
I have an original HD243 made by the original BSR LTD. :' I believe from 1988 ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:10:39 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.