Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: camera direction  (Read 4555 times)

hpdrifter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
camera direction
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »

I was kinda wondering what those, with just a wee bit more experience than myself, might consider the best camera setup.

I put one facing the driveway, to cover someone pulling into the drive and a couple covering the porch/entry ways and one on an outside wall to cover windows.  Been thinking it might be better to have them facing "out" to cover someone approaching instead of already there.  And there's always the possibility of someone slipping in, with nothing pointed out, and cut the wires before exposure.

I just don't know. 

I also wished I'd gotten a wider angle lens to cover a little more area.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: camera direction
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »

I was kinda wondering what those, with just a wee bit more experience than myself, might consider the best camera setup.

I really like my camera setup! But I have to confess I originally installed them simply as a way to use more X10.

I have never worried about someone "cutting the wires before exposure". But I do like to position my cameras so they not only monitor (see) areas of the home... but also each other. I really do think the cameras are a great deterrent. The wife and I are close to the neighbors... and they all know we have some pretty cool security stuff.

I don't live in an area that attracts "professional cat Burglars". My Dad was a cop... and I know most home burglaries are done by neighborhood kids... often drinking or on drugs.

Generally speaking... just having the alarm sign in your yard and stickers on your windows will be a big help. After that (or is it before), strong locks on windows and doors, clearing the view to entry points, and LOTS of LIGHT at night. Cameras (that can be spotted by a crook) are the frosting on the [security] cake. I like having one of those BIG honking IR cameras too. It sticks out like a sore thumb... anyone could spot it... it even glows RED at night.

I have several floodlights on motion sensors... some are the X10 floodlights (PR511). Those also trigger on cameras, inside lights, chimes... even my Perimeter Detection Voice Announcement Warning. 

The way I look at security is:  If I am the hardest house in the neighborhood to get in and out of.... I will be the last one chosen for a break-in.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.