Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with setting up dvr or pc recording  (Read 11785 times)

Sevenpelicans

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with setting up dvr or pc recording
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »

Hi,

I imagine this has been asked before but, after searching I couldn't find a clear answer. And was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. I ordered and x10 3 wifi cam system.

I want to set up 3 or 4 cams around my place and set them to record when the motion sensors in those areas are recorded. I would like to use my DVR for this but, if I cannot I am willing to setup a pc. Can someone point me in the right direction to the best setup?

Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Help with setting up dvr or pc recording
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:27 AM »

I ordered and x10 3 wifi cam system.................  I would like to use my DVR for this but, if I cannot I am willing to setup a pc. Can someone point me in the right direction to the best setup?

I don't know which "package deal" you ordered. Often the package ordered has everything needed for one setup... or the other.  A VCR Commander would be used with your DVR, and a USB - Video Adapter is used for PC input.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Johnnylaw

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »

I ordered and x10 3 wifi cam system.................  I would like to use my DVR for this but, if I cannot I am willing to setup a pc. Can someone point me in the right direction to the best setup?

I don't know which "package deal" you ordered. Often the package ordered has everything needed for one setup... or the other.  A VCR Commander would be used with your DVR, and a USB - Video Adapter is used for PC input.
[/color]

Dave , you say a VCR Commander can be used with a DVR?

I bought the VCR Cammander ll and trying to set it up with my 4 camera setup to a VCR
BUT I would love to set it up on my DVR can I do that ?

Thanks in advance

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »

I bought the VCR Cammander ll and trying to set it up with my 4 camera setup to a VCR. BUT I would love to set it up on my DVR can I do that ?

If your DVR has an IR input port, and will record with an IR remote command (as does a VCR or DVD Recorder).... then the VCR commander should work.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »

They other question you need to know is if your dvr will let you. I mean.... if you are using a DVR from a Cable company then in most cases your can't cause the DVR/cable box is setup to only record the cable and not any other video source.

People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »

.... if you are using a DVR from a Cable company then in most cases your can't cause the DVR/cable box is setup to only record the cable and not any other video source.

I use signal sensing auto-switching video modulators. I don't know if these could help or not. I guess I wasn't thinking about the DVR like those supplied by the cable company.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:27:44 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Johnnylaw

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Yes I have the one from the cable company,
I tried to set it up like you do with a VCR but it wouldn't learn the record command

but thanks anyway.

I'm still trying to get it to work on the VCR, the sensor's work on switching the camera's but the commander will not learn the record command.
it acts like it learns it when you set it up but it will not record when the sensor's pick up motion.
The camer's switch from 1 thru 4 but the vcr never starts recording.

I had to stop for awhile and re-read and re-learn but no luck so far.

I have spent a few hours the last 2 weekends fooling with it.
thats after reading and reading and reading    :(

TheBigOldDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »

Hi,

I imagine this has been asked before but, after searching I couldn't find a clear answer. And was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. I ordered and x10 3 wifi cam system.

I want to set up 3 or 4 cams around my place and set them to record when the motion sensors in those areas are recorded. I would like to use my DVR for this but, if I cannot I am willing to setup a pc. Can someone point me in the right direction to the best setup?

Thanks.
You can purchase the VA12A USB video adapter from X10 which comes with the Vanguard software which will do exactly what you want but you have to use a PC and leave it on. If you have a TV tuner card on your PC you can also go that route w/o any additional cost.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

Yes I have the one from the cable company, I tried to set it up like you do with a VCR but it wouldn't learn the record command.......
I'm still trying to get it to work on the VCR, ......... but the commander will not learn the record command.

Tricks for any IR teaching or learning device are pretty much the same:

• Make sure you have the actual IR port on the VCR, DVDR, or DVR. look through the red plastic using a flashlight to be sure.
  • The teaching remote should always have new batteries (you can put the old ones back afterwards).
  • Do the teaching in a dimly lit room (CFL and TV or Computer screen are a no, no)

Johnnylaw

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »

Tricks for any IR teaching or learning device are pretty much the same:

• Make sure you have the actual IR port on the VCR, DVDR, or DVR. look through the red plastic using a flashlight to be sure.
  • The teaching remote should always have new batteries (you can put the old ones back afterwards).
  • Do the teaching in a dimly lit room (CFL and TV or Computer screen are a no, no)

Dave,
Thanks for the tips.
I did all 3 wrong  :'
using the flashlight I found just where the IR port was ( I was off by a little bit)
and I did have the TV on and a CFL Lamp turned on for my light
and of course old batteries in the remote.

I will try tomorrow to set it all up again and let you know the results
Thanks again, your help is much appreciated

John

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.