Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DO __NOT__ Buy, Deal or bother with X10  (Read 21853 times)

joe

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: DO __NOT__ Buy, Deal or bother with X10
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

OH , to add ... my reason fo the return ...
not only is it cheap and cheesy , but , it
doesnt work right at all .... farted around
with this thing all day long before
realizing NOPE it aint me its THIS .

cowboy1773

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 12:17:04 AM »

I don't know what to tell ya'll but I've
been using these camera's for a few years
now and they work just fine, for the price.
I'm a plumbing manager and we use the x10
camera's to watch our shop area from the
office. Two years, 3 months and so far so
good. Have had good luck with the service
and the products. I really don't know what
to make of these post(s). Got more success
stories but I won't bore ya'll with those.
Appreciate yer time....

debby

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 03:19:59 PM »

I take care of my grandchildren and bought
these to keep an eye on them.  They work
fine for me.  I have them set up outside,
in their bedrooms, the wreck room etc.  I
just carry the remote in my pocket and if
it gets to quit, I just check all the rooms
and outside until I find them.  Its great,
I get alot of work done at home and also
always know where they are.

dixieman33

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »

Well personally from personal experience,
every customer I have had that purchased
these cams, most had a problem, the famous
"It doesn't work!", so after a little talk or
going to install site 100% of time it was
what I call an IQ Error, I swear, people read
the instructions, and then read THEM AGAIN,
and then call Tech Support and ask for
Tammra, point being is defects are gonna
happen, everyone has them from Dell to Sony
to Ford, point is get real, I have NO
complaints, and neither do my customers!
Thank you x10, Keep up the good work.

jerry lester

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »

All my products work well except the
myhouse and I witness.  Cannot connect.

Big C

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »

Yep i did the same, there cams are crap.
Should of went to wallmart, they would of
had better stuff.

jbird951

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 04:50:20 PM »

doing an install for a client, he invested 600'ish bucks, not too much considering he got like 4-5 cams and all the stuff needed.  BUT, that is a lot of money when they don't work. I have very little video setup experince, but I am well versed in pc's.  I spent THREE days trying to get his first office up and going. Here are the problems I had.

Vanguard software doesn't seem to like 2000 Professional or Server. I installed on 2 systems there (one of each) the server wouldn't connect. I tried EVERYTHING!

finally got Vanguard running on an XP box, there's no option to put the server online when you run the software?  This is an absurd exclusion, I would call x10 support to ask/complain about this, but being on hold for an hour sucks.

can't get 2 cams running at the same time.  Sometimes just moving the wireless reciever a few inches up or down will cause the vanguard software's monitoring screen to switch cams. I can NEVER get it to switch when I want (both cams are set up correctly, unit code and all that jazz) when it does decide to let me switch the camera, it will stay stuck on the #2 one, and I have to pratically punch the cameras to get it back so I can see the first.

drivers BLOW!  It installed as "intel pc cam pro" or some junk, Vanguard won't run unless the x10 drivers are up.  Getting it to install the right ones wasn't exactly hard, but I understand computers. I wouldn't say any normal level pc people could figure it out. And I know it wasn't just a PC issue, because I had the same issue on multiple pc's.
x10 tech support is a joke. I've had to call 4 or 5 times in a week, every time I get "we're experincing longer then usual hold times..."  and the kicker I think the only number it's programmed to say is "wait time is 10 minutes" every call "10 minutes" and it turns into way way longer.  The first person I spoke to told me she couldn't troubleshoot the problem unless I had the cams hooked to a TV to make sure they work before any PC techie stuff.  This place has no TV and never will.  2nd call, he was sure it was a faulty power supply on the camera causing it to not switch on/off. (wasn't) 3rd call, she wanted to email me a tech artical with information I needed, problem is I never got it.  4th call I was put on hold once I got to a live person, he sent me a link in my email that had nothing to do with my problem.

camera quality, I don't expect HD broadcasting here, but damn. I finally got one camera working, the camera and the reciever are less then 20 feet apart, with nothing but a window inbetween. I can't get a decent picture, it looks very staticy, not blurry cos I adjusted the lense.  Their tech blamed it on interference, I tried all 4 freq's with no luck.  When I finally got the one cam running, Vanguard software sucks, I don't need 30fps video over the internet, but lets face it, it could be done easy with a decent video codec and a DSL/Cable connection. He gets very choppy video, maybe 1 fps? that might be pushing it. It can record full motion video, then why the hell can't it broadcast it?

I recommend people stay away from x10, yeah the price is low, but it's not good!  Oh and don't get me started about the issues I'm having trying to get his other office installed, if I wasn't a life long tech, there is zero possibility I could have gotten the drivers installed.

htn

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

Anyone reading in this forum should hear my story.  I got nothing against x10 but seriously, their products are not good, mainly their cameras (wired or wireless).  If you are thinking about getting an x10 camera, please think twice about it.  I mean, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING ANY!  IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME, PLEASE GO AHEAD AND ORDER.  THEN WHEN YOU GET THE PRODUCTS, THEN YOU'LL BE THINKING ABOUT THIS POST!  The quality of the lenses is BAD at best.  The quality of the pictures is very poor.  I ordered both types of cameras, wired and wireless, and the picture is so grainy that you can't even recognize anyone.  How much purpose does it serve if you can't even recognize anyone from your cameras?  And no, it's got nothing to do with setting it up wrong or anything like that.  I recently bought another system through a local retailer and oh gosh, what a difference...  between night and day!  Honest to god, they should not market these cameras if they had a conscience.  Why am I writing this?  Well that's because I called in to get an RMA # because these products are so crappy, yes crappy.  The guy who answered was not only rude but also seemed very "agitated" (almost like he was implying that "I don't need this job!  And I don't need to hear these complaints all day."  So anyways, he said it was going to take 48 hours to get an RMA #.  I asked him, why would it take that long to get an RMA# and he answered "I don't know."  I then asked him why don't you know?  And he replied "because I don't know, that's just the process".  I was like "okay, thanks".  And then he hung up on me.  So it's been a frustrating experience to say the least.  Then again, you should know that you actually are getting what you paid for.  They advertise at cheap prices, but then again, it's cheap products, in every sense.  Cheap quality & cheap service.  I'm not too sure why they haven't been shut down yet, especially since their products are so useless.  Another thing is when the guy answered the phone, he did not even ask me why I would like to return my order, almost like he knew how crappy the products were.  Okay, enough venting.  I'm just fed up with these people trying to take advantage of others. 

SO DO AS YOU PLEASE.  IF YOU ARE CURIOUS AND WANT TO SEE FOR YOURSELF, PLEASE DO SO.  YOU WILL THINK BACK TO THIS POST.  AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS B.S. RETURN PROCESS.  CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT, SATISFACTION BROUGHT IT BACK.  SO GOOD LUCK! 

SERIOUSLY, IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF NOT TO BE A STUPID PERSON, THEN DON'T ORDER ANY X10 PRODUCTS.

BY THE WAY, HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW THEY CHANGE THEIR "PROMOTION" & DEALS DAILY?  WELL THEY REALLY JUST ROTATE THEIR DEALS.  I WAS LOOKING AT THEIR WEBSITE FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAD.  ALSO, IF YOU LOOK INTO THEIR AFFILIATE PROGRAMS, IT ALSO SAYS THAT THEY "FAKE" THEIR "SOON TO EXPIRE" DEALS AND THINGS LIKE THAT, SO THAT THEY CAN PUT A SENSE OF URGENCY INTO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.  THIS IS SO DECEIVING AND PATHETIC. 

TRUST ME, IF YOU WANT TO SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.  I BELIEVE THE BEST WOULD BE TO GO TO AN ACTUAL RETAILER OR DEALER AND YOU CAN SEE UP FRONT WHAT THE QUALITY IS LIKE.  THIS X10 BUSINESS OF BUYING ONLINE WITHOUT SEE THE QUALITY IS JUST THE REASON WHY THEY ARE ABLE TO SELL ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS. 

GOSH, ENOUGH VENTING, I HOPE A LOT OF YOU WILL READ THIS POST AND ALSO A LOT OF YOU CAN ADD TO THIS POST, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED THE SAME CRAP. 

ANOTHER NOTE, YES THESE PRODUCTS ARE "MADE IN CHINA".  PERSONALLY, I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG ABOUT THE FACT THAT A PRODUCT IS MADE IN CHINA.  THAT IS NOT THE REASON WHY THESE X10 PRODUCTS SUCK.  THEY ARE JUST POOR QUALITY PRODUCTS.  THERE ARE A LOT OF PRODUCTS OUT THERE THAT ARE MADE IN CHINA AND MANY WOULD STILL BE CONSIDERED GOOD QUALITY.  SO I WOULDN'T BLAME THE CHINA FACTOR, IT'S MORE THE X10 FACTOR!  OBVIOUSLY I WOULD PREFER BUYING THINGS MADE IN JAPAN OR GERMANY (ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CARS) BUT THAT'S JUST A NOTION THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE.  WELL THIS IS IRRELEVANT TO X10'S POOR QUALITY PRODUCTS.  OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVE THESE MANUFACTURED IN CHINA B/C OF CHINA'S LOW LABOUR COSTS BUT THE QUALITY OF THE X10 PRODUCTS IS JUST PLAIN POOR. 

ALL RIGHT, ENOUGH SAID ALREADY. 

I HOPE MY TESTIMONIAL WILL OPEN YOUR EYES.  BUT THEN AGAIN THERE'S A FOOL BORN EVERYDAY.  WERE YOU BORN YESTERDAY???

M.J.

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:34 AM »

Well I hate to be the spoiler here, but I think some of you are a bit off..... way off.
I have had X10 wireless camera's (8 of them in fact), for a couple of years, including the Vanguard and a wired camera as well, and have not had any issues with any of it. From the installation and use of the products, be it camera, Active Home, I witness, and a couple other's, they've all worked just great. Wireless camera's can and "ALWAYS" will be a problem for some, regardless of who or where you buy them from, especially when they use the same frequency of your home phones or other wireless products in the house. Maybe some have gotten a faulty product here and there, that's understandable with any company that mass produces any product. You can't tell me you've never bought something from another company or service and never have had any issues with them, you wouldn't be telling the truth if so.
  I don't work for X10 or any of its affiliates, I'm just a disabled veteran, and have seen my fair share of "faulty" products as everyone else, and you even see it on the news quite often. All I can say is get over it, period.
  But as far as refunding a customer their money, "if" the customer requests it and has returned the merchandise, that's a Must Do on any companies part, as long as it is done within the time specified by the purchase agreement. For something like that, I can see someone getting a bit upset, as I would too. But for everything else..... I'll be polite and let it go there.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

netguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »

Most likely you have interference problems.
I just posted the following message under "Interference of X-10 Equipment" thread:
Interference of X-10 Equipment
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:19:12 AM by TakeTheActive »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.