Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with light on all the time  (Read 4869 times)

Hawaiiduo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with light on all the time
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »

I installed a XPFM to my ceiling light.  The blue went to black on the light, the house black went to black on XPFM unit and all three whites in the same screw.  I used a RR501 and a SS13A remote to control the light.  I can hear the clicking sound on the RR501 and the XPFM when I turn on and off the SS13A.  However, I can't turn the light off.  I haven't put the light bulbs in yet but just checking with my meter, it stayed hot and didn't shot off.  Please help me, I am new to this but must have spent hours reading x10 stuff and finally figured out parts I needed.

I played with the XPFM some more.  The only thing I can think of is that the XPFM unit is defective.  It does make noise whenever I turn the SS13A unit off or on but the blue wire stays hot.  Is this a commom problem?

I must be doing something wrong here.  I took out the x10 stuff and put in a Hampton Bay Fan/Light remote  unit. I have the same problem, light on all the time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:30:51 AM by Hawaiiduo »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Help with light on all the time
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »

I installed a XPFM to my ceiling light.  The blue went to black on the light, the house black went to black on XPFM unit and all three whites in the same screw.  I used a RR501 and a SS13A remote to control the light.  I can hear the clicking sound on the RR501 and the XPFM when I turn on and off the SS13A.  However, I can't turn the light off.  I haven't put the light bulbs in yet but just checking with my meter, it stayed hot and didn't shot off. 
Try installing the lights, you might be measuring the "local sense" voltage. Search "local sense" or "local control" for more information.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

forhabi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:09:08 AM »

I have the exact same problem... i was able to turn the light on and off a few times but after the lights were on for a few minutes they would not turn off even though i can hear the click.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »

You can't get an accurate reading with most meters. The XPFM doesn't remember if it is on or off and the switch in it is a alternating one. So if it is on and you send an on the trigger to flip the switch should not happen. Now that the long winded thing is over.  ;D

There is a circuit in it to sense if the switch is closed or open. With out a load on it. The meter will read the small current since it is a high impedance load. Try it with a light and see what happens.

I don't believe the XPFM has Local Control but I do know it has the am I on or off sensing circuit in it.

forhabi

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »

Tried it with the bulb - i tried a 100W and 60W and have the same problem.

last night i got up on a ladder to unscrew the bulb becuase it would not go off, this morning i screwed it back in an the light was still on. I then used the slimline switch and was able to turn it off.

Looks like the the Hot bulb won't respond !!

Ideas on how to fix it?

Hawaiiduo, sorry for piggybacking on your post.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.