Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 installation laws  (Read 13193 times)

magoo12007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 installation laws
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:59:03 AM »

I am looking into starting a part-time x10 business on selling and installing. I live in Texas, would i need a masters in electric to do work on some of the plugs and switches in households. Or who would I talk to about the requirements of electrical work in my state?

The subdivisions in my area are very nice and i think they would go for the hidden modules more over the visible ones.

Thanks, magoo12007

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: x10 installation laws
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:35 AM »

In addition to state laws, there maybe local laws also. Your local library may have these laws available for your viewing or at least know who to contact in your city to find out.
You may find a contact at your local Home Depot or Lowes that can give you an idea as to how strictly they are enforced. Best to be extremely cautious. Regardless of whether you did a prefect install or not you could still be liable if you haven't jumped through all the correct hoops. Even if not required, being bonded is a very good idea. It does more than just look good on a business card and is relatively cheap.

e.g. A photographer that made a business of photo documenting valuables in homes, would be crazy not to be bonded.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:24:03 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: x10 installation laws
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »

Hi Magoo,
Steven R is correct in his response.
I live in Texas and each city/county/municipality has it's own little special requirements for most modifications to homes within its taxing jurisdiction.  Most have online access to this information at their web sites others you will have to check with city hall or city planners.  The bonding is a very good idea and not very expensive.
Good luck with you new business if you can get it going

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.