Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Want to share your X10 story?  (Read 48294 times)

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Want to share your X10 story?
« on: February 23, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »

If you have a story about your X10 set-up you'd like to share, we'd like to hear from you. The X10 Zone is looking for stories and articles about X10 products and how you use them. If you want to write something to appear on our community site, let us know. You can e-mail me or post a message on the forum.

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
Re: Want to share your X10 story?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

I started with 1 wired X10 camera over 3 years ago, and thought that it was pretty neat. We used it to watch the birds outside by the birdfeeders originally during the winter months. It didn't take long for the "bug" to take affect and before you know it, mywife and I were hooked. Come spring time here in Michigan, I purchased my first wireless camera and placed it outside.
  It wasn't long after that, that we started seeing birds we've never seen before, especially up close. After a few weeks of pure enjoyment, I couldn't help but buy a couple more wireless camera's. By the end of summer, I had 3 wireless and 1 wired camera setup outside for watching birds and other animals as well as for security. Then to top it off, I purchased the Ninja mounts and a whole new world seemd to just appear out of no where.
  We now have 8 wireless and 1 wired camera's, and a Vangaurd camera, all placed outside in specific areas, used for security, but mainly for the enjoyment and wonder's of watching mother natures creations. We have watched, taken snapshots and video's of birds and animals we've never seen or even heard of before, as well as animals you could never get close to. I couldn't ask for anything better, especially at there price, then the X10 camera's, until I decided to try out some of the home automation products. Now I'm totally hooked on these products, from cameras to light switches and appliance modules. Home automation and security couldn't get any cheaper cost wise, or better quality wise than the X10 products we have purcahsed and will continue to purchase.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

Boots

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:25 AM »

If you have a story about your X10 set-up you'd like to share, we'd like to hear from you. The X10 Zone is looking for stories and articles about X10 products and how you use them. If you want to write something to appear on our community site, let us know. You can e-mail me or post a message on the forum.

Boots

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:58:26 AM »

First let me say this is my first time posting. I love our X10 security cameras and have introduced them to my widowed sister-in-law that lives alone and she like us is hooked. ;)
 I am having a problem and will ask for help...We recently installed a wireless internet router ((LINKSYS)) and it's interfering with my receiver closes to it. It just happens to be in the computer room and is driving me bonkers. :-\ Can I install a filter or something to take the interference away?  ???Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this on this forum.
HELP
Boots

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »

;D Thanks to Brian H. and others on the forum, I'm up and running.
My home and garage both have security systems and automation.  Even my MightyMule gate opener is X10 controlled and so is my Dog fence.

;D If I want to take Otis (my dog) for a ride I simply whip out my remote and in 3 easy steps we are off.
Step 1. Press button to open garage. Step 2 Press button to turn off dog fence. Step 3. Press button to open gate. Dang ! I love this stuff.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:47:00 PM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

tarniel

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:23:03 PM »

This is not much of a story, but I am pretty new to X10.  I would like to become a contractor as a parttime job to make some extra cash.  I'm working on it.  Anyway.  I have the lamp modules and a a remote controll. I set them up to I don't have to get up and turn on the lights (being lazy).  However, I going to set up a motion sensor, aiming it at the front door so the lights come on when I enter the apartment late at night.  This weekend, I'm going to my dad's house, he has a camping trailer trying to sell.  Anyway, at night homeless men break in to it and sleep.  I'm going to install the entry sensors with a siren to blast and wake up my father so he can kick out the people.  Maybe this will stop them.  Anyway, will the Door and Window Sensor work with the small PowerHorn Siren as long as the min transceiver?

MeThinks

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 02:06:39 AM »

You really don't want horror stories to you??

It's good system, just a good system with ALOT of bugs, bugs that SHOULD be exterminated by now!!

Come on X10 update the firmware, hardware and software...please...we're begging you!!!!

8)

poolguy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »

I have had x10 now for going on 5 years, I started with basic controls, such as turning on / dimming and turning off lights in the house, that was "real cool" . . .
anyway I moved on to acquire some x10 cameras, multiview, firecracker and so forth. Well guess what, this stuff is crap, I have tried for months to get the multiview cameras to work, the system never seems to figure out which camera to turn on or off, tech support has been useless, and as some people on these forums have mentioned, it can take an act of congress to get x10 support to help you out.
      Be very careful of what you think you are getting because it is time consuming and tedious to set all of this up and find out it does not work as promised.
  x10 needs to get their act together, better software, better tech support and just quit jamming new crap down our throats, until they get all of this stuff to work right.
chow !!

mdf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »

You know like alot of people, i'm not very good with computers, I know how to loook things up on the internet.   I dont know how to set up a computer and all the software for the cameras.   Ive been working on them for 3 months now.  Got the cameras up and running on the computer,  but when i tried to look at them from a remote computer,  thats where im having problems.  Just wish they would give a little help on that.  Im tired of calling support, because they just looking something up on the computer that might be the cause.  Why dont they have this stuff in a manual or something you can look up..   Happy with the cameras,  just want to see them when im outta town, so i can see who breaks in next time B:(

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »

X10 manuals leave a lot to be desired. I think X10 relies on supplemental information available on the X10 web site and elsewhere. However the encouraging news is this: There are X10 users out there who couldn't figure out putting batteries in a flashlight, but managed to get things working with forum information.

http://www.x10.com/support/support_manuals.htm
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

Check these pages and see if they help.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

babybearjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »

mines simple, started using X10 for security resons in a rooming house, got hooked on it and now have my whole house wired with it. use it to turn on outside lights, shut OFF the coffe maker on a 3 hour interval and use it to set the mood in the diningroom. works great for me, I have the whole house set to go to bed at 12am daily so no lights get left on... and works to keep the nightlight on in the bathroom! too bad the system is too scarce to use! I cant get the modules from Radioshack anymore!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.