🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

What's the yellow wire?

(1/1)

drew65:
Hi all,

I've never used X10, but I'm looking into it as a possible solution so I don't have to run new wires to install a 3-way switch.  I found the concept of power-line communications very interesting, but when I looked at the wiring diagrams posted for a 'switchlinc' relay switch, it appears to use a yellow wire to receive signals from the companion devices.

This doesn't appear to use the power line for communication at all, and would seem to prohibit the use of such switches using standard home wiring unless a third wire is available.  Am I misunderstanding something?  I was under the impression that either the hot or neutral wire was used for such communication.

Also, with regard to installing a standard, run-of-the-mill wall switch that uses X10 technology, would you recommend any particular manufacturer?  Is Switchlinc a good one to go with?

Thanks,
Drew

AutomatedOutlet:
There are a lot of brands that are compatible but since this is an X10 forum, we probably shouldn't get into that here.

The yellow wire is a traveler wire used to communicate between a master and a slave switch.

The X10 commands are received by the master switch.

drew65:

--- Quote from: AutomatedOutlet on February 26, 2006, 03:52:11 PM ---There are a lot of brands that are compatible but since this is an X10 forum, we probably shouldn't get into that here.

The yellow wire is a traveler wire used to communicate between a master and a slave switch.

The X10 commands are received by the master switch.

--- End quote ---
I'm confused.  I thought X10 was a communication protocol, not a brand.

Anyway, is there a forum for X10 compatible devices I can ask my question?

Charles Sullivan:
X10 represents both products of the company which developed the powerline protocol and the name given to that protocol.  However products compatible with the protocol are also manufactured by other companies, e.g., Smarthome.

The X10 3-way module and its companion switch replace a pair of existing 3-way mechanical switches and require the same hot and traveller wires (although used differently).  The advantage is that they can also be controlled remotely.

If your switch boxes contain a neutral wire, you can emulate 3-way switching with a pair of "two-way", i.e., receive and transmit, wall switches and not require the traveller wire.  (The switches must transmit an X10 On/Off when they are manually operated - not all do this.)

drew65:

--- Quote from: Charles Sullivan on February 27, 2006, 12:50:19 AM ---X10 represents both products of the company which developed the powerline protocol and the name given to that protocol.  However products compatible with the protocol are also manufactured by other companies, e.g., Smarthome.

The X10 3-way module and its companion switch replace a pair of existing 3-way mechanical switches and require the same hot and traveller wires (although used differently).  The advantage is that they can also be controlled remotely.

If your switch boxes contain a neutral wire, you can emulate 3-way switching with a pair of "two-way", i.e., receive and transmit, wall switches and not require the traveller wire.  (The switches must transmit an X10 On/Off when they are manually operated - not all do this.)

--- End quote ---
Thank you.  That makes more sense.

Drew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version