Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ON/Off vs brightness option?  (Read 47612 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: ON/Off vs brightness option?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 02:27:03 AM »

...I have often wished X10 would upgrade the firmware in these modules...
...Should I try holding my breath?
You could try to set a record of 9 minutes.
I don't either is going to happen any time soon.  :)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »

The problem is actually a firware issue and not a hardware issue.  I have often wished X10 would upgrade the firmware in these modules, but I guess they would rather sell you the much more expensive 2-way module.
Not only upgrade but include the new firmware in modules OTHER than a plug in wall module. I eventually want to go to all 2-way modules for everything but I use socket-rockets to control the 4-light fixtures in my ceiling fans in pairs rather than all 4 bulbs on a single switch.
I think you might have misunderstood me.  Hardware upgrades are necessary to make a module 2-way, but it only needs a firmware upgrade to make it so that it won't always go from off to 100%. 

Ahhh. I understand now. Adding a "presetdim" setting. I was thinking along the lines of firmware making it 2-way so so a status request could note the dim level.

Since the socketrocket doesn't dim, a firmware upgrade wouldn't be of much benefit.  Even a 2-way socket rocket wouldn't be of much benefit since it doesn't have a local control feature.

Oh CRUD!!! I never even noticed that they removed dimming with the socket rocket and I'm about to place a big order to do all the fan lights in the house. I have a few SL575 modules that I'm using now. I'll have to see if I can find those instead of the LM15A modules. I guess I'll drop the LM15As from my order and live with what I have for now.

Looks like when I get done rebuilding the garage I'll be rewiring all of my ceiling fan runs and custom wiring the light fixtures (splitting into two pairs of lights internally) so I can run them to wall switches. Yuck, 3 hots to every fixture.

And for non-fan mounted ceiling fixtures I use WS-467 modules currently. To go 2-way on those I'll have to buy the plug-in modules, hack them apart, and mount them in an oversized wall box -- IF I can hack local control onto one (on-off-dim-bright). I haven't bought one yet to play with as I'm sorta waiting for X-10 to release a wall-switch model.
You have another option.  ACT, Leviton and SmartHome all make 2-way wall switches.  The ACT and Leviton switches are the closest to the X10 2-way module as they support extended commands (including extended dim).  SmartHome, however, makes a toggle style wall switch, which is nice for those of us who don't like the look of Decora switches.
I'll have to look at those. I need to do some rewiring in the house anyway (see above  ;) ) and MOST of the lights are hanging from fans. I may end up going with all "hidden" modules and stick-on slimline switches + a few scattered mini/maxi controller boxes.

Gerald

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 11:17:02 AM »

I never even noticed that they removed dimming with the socket rocket and I'm about to place a big order to do all the fan lights in the house. I have a few SL575 modules that I'm using now. I'll have to see if I can find those instead of the LM15A modules. I guess I'll drop the LM15As from my order and live with what I have for now.

Ya, dimming generates heat so you need a large heat sink.  To make the LM15A small they had to remove the dimming so that they could remove the heat sink.  You can still get the SL575 for exactly that reason.

Looks like when I get done rebuilding the garage I'll be rewiring all of my ceiling fan runs and custom wiring the light fixtures (splitting into two pairs of lights internally) so I can run them to wall switches. Yuck, 3 hots to every fixture.

That is one option.  Another option would be to use in-line modules (such as the X10 Pro XPDF or XPFM) at each fixture.  If you can squeeze 2 in the box you can control the fan and light separately this way.  I have said it before and I will say it again; I wish someone made a light/fan in-line module which would provide independent control of both the light and fan in one module.

I may end up going with all "hidden" modules and stick-on slimline switches + a few scattered mini/maxi controller boxes.

My preference over the stick-on slimeline switches is to use wired in keypads such as the X10 Pro XPT series or the SmartHome KeypadLinc.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.