Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Neutral Wire - Need Bypass Help  (Read 7676 times)

Bemith

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
No Neutral Wire - Need Bypass Help
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »

Dear Forum:
I am trying to install a togglelinc  on a fluorescent light, however the switch box has no neutral wire run to it, (pre-war NYC building) I am wondering if there are any known bypass tricks out there (i.e. maybe attaching the neutral wire to the metal box in an attempt to mimic the wire.) any help will be appreciated.

BEMITH

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: No Neutral Wire - Need Bypass Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:40:27 PM »

From what I've read on the forum, it's not a good idea to connect your neutral wire to ground.
Apparently this does work BUT when using the switch it could give you an electrical shock.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:12:20 AM »

This is an interesting issue.  Certain electronic equipment actually feeds some current back on the ground pin.  Computer power supplies and other electronic equipment often contain capacitors from each AC prong to case ground to meet the FCC requirement for conducted radiation.  If the ground connection is broken, the resulting capacitor voltage divider can cause the case to float at half line voltage.  The current is low, but it can give a surprising shock when not expected.

While connecting the switch neutral to ground certainly violates the code, and is not recommended, the current involved is not that much higher than from the capacitors described above.  The problem arises when there is any break in the ground return back to the electrical distribution panel.  Should that happen, the screws and a metal switchplate would float at full line voltage.  Even though the current is still fairly low, it is high enough to produce very serious results if the unfortunate individual has low enough skin resistance, and manages to touch a grounded metal object at the same time.

Electrical shocks are nothing to mess with.  I speak from experience.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Colonel09

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:44:26 AM »

First of all you need to understand that a flour. fixture that you want to dim must have a dimming ballast. You can't dim a regular flour. ballast. The model RX doesn't need a neutral conductor; however that is for incandescent lighting. I would ask you to stay away from
dimming a flour. fixture anyway because my experience has been that they can be noisy and cause noise with out a filter installed.Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to
do stay away from flour. dimming. Do not use the ground for a neutral. The last two (2) posts covered that real well.You are just looking for trouble. It is not approved by the
National Electrical Code to start with. Need I say more.
Mn. Masters License.
Wisc. Masters License.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 06:48:40 AM »

I second the don't do it and yes dimmers and Fluorescent lights or bulbs do not mix well. Both the dimming switch and bulb can be damaged.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »

...I am trying to install a togglelinc  on a fluorescent light, however the switch box has no neutral wire run to it, (pre-war NYC building) I am wondering if there are any known bypass tricks out there (i.e. maybe attaching the neutral wire to the metal box in an attempt to mimic the wire.)...
Let me also echo the above statements. Do not attach the neutral wire to the metal box. We want you the stay alive and health.

Do you own or rent?

If you can get into the fixture you can hardwire a controller made for this type of application. I'm sorry I don't know the model. I expect someone will post it soon. (Surprised they haven't already.)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »

X10Pro makes an in fixtrue relay type module. XPFM

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »

Thanks Brian!

I braved the X10 site to retrieve a link for the XPFM.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:03:09 PM »

Well www.x10pro.com has no pushy ads or popups.  ;D
Then pick Install sheets if memory serves me.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.