Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some outlets work some dont.  (Read 21522 times)

Grikl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Some outlets work some dont.
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:24:39 AM »

I started on an outlet and it could control some lamp mods.
but nthing else, I moved the cm15a to a different outlet and it can now control some other ones.
but lost the first ones, move to another one and loose some get some its all I get ay home anyone know how I can fix it?

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Some outlets work some dont.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »

Sounds like it could be a phase coupling problem. If you search this forum you will find many posts describing your problem and ways to remedy it.  If not a coupling problem it could be the result of other electronic equipment putting noise on the AC line which could interfere with the X10 signals. There  are also many posts describing this and ways to deal with it.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »

Read the  Post: Having problems? Read first! I'm sure you'll find your answer there! ;) :) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Grikl

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »

Hi, thanx for the reply

I looked at the phase stuff, but I couldent find a place to order them.

I moved my cm15a power supply to all outlets in my livving room and found one outlet if the cm15a is pluged into it can control my living room kitchen, and two of my rooms, one room is dead to the x10.
so that is better than before thanxk god cuz i must of spent 600 bucks allready and I can only turm on and off one light lol.
the catch to this is I have to unplug my entire entertainment system.
so by what you guys say and what i read i maby need that phase thing and noise thingy, can i plug the noise filter to the wall and all entertainment stuffs to it and it will stop the noise?

any way where can i buy them? thanx

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 06:47:24 AM »

Check out the following link. I can not speak for any of these as I have not tried them.

Jim

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/search.php?mode=search
_ _ ...  ..._ _

jrx19

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:34:41 AM »

I got a phase coupler/amp that plugs into the dryer 220 about 6-7 years ago (I know most say to install it at the breaker box but this was convenient and the right price--separate cord, square box with another dryer plug in it, I think it's the leviton coupler amp but not sure---haven't seen one like it in a number of years but I've seen some from a couple of mail order places that plug directly over the 220 dryer plug) x-10 errors went down to virtually zero immediately, and have probably stayed at most 1 or 2 a month and these are dimming commands only, not on/off commands. everyone imo should run, at the minimum a passive phase coupler and if that doesn't solve your problems, a phase coupler repeater/amp (but that's debatable). best x-10 accessory that I ever purchased.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:46:24 AM by jrx19 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:18:40 AM »

jrx19; I also have one of those. I had the coupler model only and it didn't help much more than the 1.uf AC rated cap you can add to the breaker box. That model has the cap and a small tuning coil in it, that sets it to about the 120KHz. X10 line signals frequency. I then replaced that unit with the one with the repeater in it and I too find it is a great help.
They are a Smarthome unit.

jrx19

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »

then replaced that unit with the one with the repeater in it and I too find it is a great help.
They are a Smarthome unit.
looks like the easiest way to me to install a phase-coupler/repeater-amp, if your breaker box is in the garage or unfinished basement between 2 studs, and if you have 2 extra breakers (one for each leg of the 110)  would be to simply install a dryer plug (or have one installed if you're not comfortable working with electricity) right next to the panel, then just plug one of these "amps" in. if it ever goes bad, just discard it, buy another one and plug it in.

Grikl

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 10:19:15 PM »

Hi,

I cant figure out the phase couple thingy and I can only get a few places to work in my house. I was wondering if there is anything else i can do to make lights on and off?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 06:55:29 AM »

Grikl;
 Have you looked at the link Tuicemen provided?

Most homes are wired 220 Volt split phase. Basically at the power companies transformer, there are three power wires and a safety ground. Two Hot wires and a Neutral. Between one of the Hots and Neutral is 120 Volts and between both Hots is 240 volts.
So any X10 device on one of the phases can usually get a signal to another one on the same phase. Getting the signal all the way back to the power companies transformer and then back to the house on the other phase is not that easy. So devices on one phase to the other phase have a hard time communicating. A phase coupler connects between the phases and couples the signal from one to the other. Some connect directly to the breaker box and some plug into an electric dryer outlet. A coupler just bridges the signals from phase to phase. A repeater takes the signal and sends it a full power on the other phase. If you have an electric dryer or stove turn it on and see if more devices work. Many 240 volt devices like a dryer can bridge the phases for a test.

The other problem is noise or devices. If unplugging a TV stereo computer surge strip to name a few; helps an X10 type filter is needed on those devices. Some make powerline noise that masks the X10 signals others absorb them. My APC BX1000 UPS absorbed so much of my X10 signals an X10 filter was added to its AC Power Cord.

Grikl

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 02:06:54 AM »

Hi, Brian

I have looked at the link and read it but I am not trying to control my cloths dryer so I havent thought I needed that type of item, however this last reply you posted I understood. I am sorry I am not very smart and i apprecate you explaining it mor for me.
Are you saying buying that 3 prong plug that looks like its for a stove, will help my problem? cuz really I thoiught that was like to control/noiseblock for a clothes dryer, I donno why on earth I assumed such a thing but I did.
I ordered another transciver to get other plugs to work, I donno if that is gunna help, but I had to try something.
I will look at thoes plugs tomarrow and order one
Thanx for the help!
Grikl

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »

Grikl:  Another place to check is a tutorial I wrote on Phase Coupling.  Hopefully this will clarify things for you.  If you aren't very technically minded, I would reccomend getting the SignaLinc Phase Coupler (4816).  It has a few disadvantages (discussed in my tutorial), but it is the easiest one to install.  Just be sure to get the one with the correct number of prongs.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 02:45:09 PM »

Grikl

I have used the X10 Pro / Leviton and the ACT coupler repeater and they both work very well. for ease of installation the Smarthome SignalLinc would be the easiest to install. I haven't used this unit but based on other comments in this thread it sounds like a good unit also. Regardless A Repeater/Coupler will fix the problems you describe.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Grikl

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

Hi Fellows,
I recived the phase thingy in the mail today, and I can send signals to outlets I couldnot before!!

thanx for the help guys!

I wonder if you guys could help me with another thing that arose. I made a macro that turns on the front door light when the sencor gets triggered. in the computer I can click the run macro and it works it turns on the light for 30 seconds and turns it off, but when you walk over there the sends the singnal because i can see the screen, and the macro runs, turns on the switch but not the light. usally it also turns green under the bar but it but flips the switch and leaves it up for 30 seconds but does not turn on the light.
ever heard of this?
thanx in advance.

Tony Olson

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »

Grikl:  Another place to check is a tutorial I wrote on Phase Coupling.  Hopefully this will clarify things for you.  If you aren't very technically minded, I would reccomend getting the SignaLinc Phase Coupler (4816).  It has a few disadvantages (discussed in my tutorial), but it is the easiest one to install.  Just be sure to get the one with the correct number of prongs.

I bought the SignaLinc Model 4816B2 which is the right model for my 220 device (an old wash machine hookup). The prongs coming out of the Signalinc are one inch and a quarter and the other two are one inch. When I try to plug the SignaLinc in it will only go in so far leaving a portion of the prong(s) exposed which isn't good obviously :o. My question is...can you buy something that fits over the prongs of the SignaLinc that will cut down on how much is exposed or will I have to put in a new 220 receptacle? I'm not using the receptacle for anything. I certainly don't want to use it to get electrocuted  :o.

Thanks...

Tony
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.