Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PLEASE Help with VCR Commander / Wireless Cameras  (Read 29769 times)

alex

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PLEASE Help with VCR Commander / Wireless Cameras
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »

hello: I have 2 questions-->  1) I have had major problems with the vcr commander; specifically programming the STOP key. The standard instructions don't work because pressing STOP doesn't do what it says [it doesn't flash...and turn on...]. I have tried a billion times. Someone from X10 sent me advice to program STOP button in between programming the record button. While programming STOP seemed to work, when connecting the signal wires to my vcr, it wasn't able to stop at all. I found exactly where the remote control hits the vcr and tried using the connectors both with white sticker facing into vcr and away from vcr.

2) I was able to turn on 2 x10 cameras and using a transceiver and a remote control, I could choose between them. I unplugged everything. Now, I cannot even get one camera to work with receiver. What do I do?   PLEASE HELP!!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: PLEASE Help with VCR Commander / Wireless Cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:56:54 PM »

Alex.

Don't get frustrated. The VCR commander can be made to work with some effort although it is a pain to program. The instructions are very poor. Are you able to get it to turn on the VCR and have it start recording? Is it only the stop function you are having problems with? If you are able to control any function of the VCR you have the IR transmitter located properly. The side with the adhesive should face the VCR. ;)

As far as the cameras....If you had them working once what has changed? Did you maybe forget to plug back in in one of the power supplies? Check the A, B, C switch on the caberas and receiver they must be set to the same setting ( wireless cameras). Did you change the house code on the remote? It must match that of the cameras. Are the cameras wired or wireless? Is the input to the TV still intact?   IF you had it working once there is no reason you should not be able to get it working again. Start at the beginning follow the instructions and do everything over from the beginning one step at a time.

_ _ ...  ..._ _

alex

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »

Jim:

Thank you very much for replying. 

First, with the vcr commander: while I can follow instructions and program the record key, when I test to see whether the commander can make the vcr record, it fails.  Basically, I am able to follow instruction and program all keys other than the STOP key ===> but, when checking to see whether any of them work, I find that none are able.  I cannot begin to tell you how upsetting this can be; especially when I have followed a few different sets of directions;  none help.  Am I the only one with this issue? (I can't believe that...if I am, then my commander is broken?...I have Sony VCR that is maybe 2-3 years old...so, it is certainly not ancient.)  I just don't know what else to do.  Obviously, I need this to work [also to work with motion sensors!] since I have 4 WIRELESS CAMERAS and I can only record one signal and only for 8 hours max...  we have a baby a few months old and this is why it is important to get this to work as a nanny cam.

Second, with the cameras;  I am telling you that I must have the worst X10 luck in the world!!  I was checking to see if I could get 2 WIRELESS CAMERAS to work and be able to switch between them using the remote control.  They both worked.  Then, I had to unplug all and when I tried to re-start setting the system up again, I could not even get one camera to be recognized by the receiver.  Again, I made sure that camera and receiver were both on setting A and that camera was #0; I even tried to switch all to a different channel (channel C I believe) ==> on the receiver, the cameras and the remote control;  STILL NOTHING WORKED!!    SHOULD I JUST GIVE UP AND BUY FROM ANOTHER COMPANY (IS THERE AN X11?)  ONCE AGAIN, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP.  THANK YOU.

JimC

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:49:23 PM »

Alex.

Lets start with the camera problem first and forgive me if I state the obvious.
1. The camera power supply has a unit and house code. for now lets set this to B1
2.  Set your transceiver module to B
3. Make sure your palm pad is set to house code B
4. On the camera set the A,B,C switch to A
5. On the receiver set the A,B,C switch to A
6. Make sure the cable from the receiver to the monitor is connected securely on both ends.
7. Make sure the monitoring source is set up correctly and on the correct channel
8. Turn on the video receiver and verify the indicator LED is on.
9. With the Palm pad select 1 on. The camera should be on.

If the camera does not turn on in step 9 there could be several issues. Let me know what happens and we can proceed from there.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

alex

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 01:14:03 PM »

Jim: I am currently at work; as soon as I come home, I will follow your camera instructions exactly.  Hopefully, this should make the cameras work again. 

My big problem however is (and has always been) the vcr commander.  Do you have a similar set of instructions I should follow?  This would be so great if I got it to work...  assuming the commander works (which I really cannot imagine), how would you set up motion sensor?

Sounds like you have a ton of experience with the x10 products.  I very much appreciate your help. :)   - Alex

JimC

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »

Alex,

When you were setting up the VCR Commander were you carefull to make sure the IR emitters were NOT plugged in? 

I should be home and on the computer this evening around 6 or 7 EST and will offer any help I can.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

alex

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »

Jim:

In answer to your question, I definitely made sure not to plug in the IR emitters until after the programming of the vcr commander was done.  Only when I tried testing to see whether it worket at all did I connect the emitters.

Unfortunately, I get home later than 7pm.  I may not be able to try anything until 9 or 9:30pm.  So, if you have any other advice, I am more than happy to listen and try it out ASAP.   Thank you very much again.

JimC

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 05:57:24 PM »

Alex,

It has been some time since I set up my VCR Commander but I seem to recall that the instructions left out one thing and that was programming the power on function. try the following.
1 Put batteries in the motion sensor and follow the instruction for setting up its house and unit code or simply do nothing and it will default to A1.
2. Follow the instructions that came with the VCR commander for setting up the unit to respond to the motion  sensor.
3 Once step 2 is done place the motion sensor face down in the corner of the desk or place it inside a drawer so that it does not sense motion and interfere with setting up the VCR commander.
4 Follow the instructions  for setting up the VCR commander with the remote except instead of starting with the "REC" button start with the "PWR" button. I think they skip this in the instructions. If you do not do this the VCR commander will never turn on the VCR and there is no way you can start recording.
5. Follow the rest of the instructions making sure you pay attention to the prompts they specify. If you do not get the response they tell you, you should get, start over. It took me several tries before I got it working but I eventually did and I am very pleased with the results.  ( make sure the batteries in the remote are good)

As for getting the cameras to work.......What are you using to turn on the cameras?   Is it a palm pad or is It a  Pan'n Tilt remote? If it is a Pan'n Tilt remote and after following the instructions in my previous post the cameras still do not  work try the following.
1 slide the program switch to the right
2 Press the C1 button
3 Slide the program switch back to the left
4 Press C1

Let me know how you make out.

Good luck,

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

kaemack

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »

jim-
according 2  the instructions w-my floodcams-it said that the cameras, remote,reciever and tranceiver are 2 be set to the same house codes--example-mine r set as unit A-1,A-2,A-3 and everything in the house is set to A (video rec.,remote, and tranceiver) i never could get the vcr commanderII 2 work. i am having trouble w-the floodlights and the cameras don't seem to work consistently (the tv screen goes static after a certain period of time) the motion sensors r built in so i don't know what is meant about setting the "motion sensors"
back 2 what u told alex--why the different settings on the house, unit, and all other devices?
thanks
kaemack

JimC

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 06:37:18 AM »

kaemack,

according 2  the instructions w-my floodcams-it said that the cameras, remote,receiver and transceiver are 2 be set to the same house codes
The video receiver does not have a unit and house code switch. It has an "A,B,C" switch which is used to set the frequency the receiver will receive. It must be set to the same setting as the "A,B,C" switch on the camera. This has nothing to do with the unit and house code.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

kaemack

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 01:10:57 AM »

ok jim--
what exactly is the "unit and house  code"? the unit being the camera and the house code being what?
thanks

kaemack

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »

The Housecode is the House (A-P) and the Unit (1-16) found on every X10 module.  For example, you set a lamp module to A-1, plug it in and plug a lamp in to it.

Now use a controller to turn the module on. The lamp lights.  Turn the module off, the lamp goes off. 

That's the "magic" of X10!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

RockinDolphin

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 01:42:46 AM »

It's been awhile since I've programmed my VCR Commander, as well, but follow the instructions as they say and then, when it's time to press the button on the remote so the Commander will learn it, REPEATEDLY press it! Don't press and hold. This seems to have worked with me.

wejaz28

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 06:05:51 PM »

I too am expierencing a similar problem with the Commander. I can program the start function but not the stop function. When I press and hold the stop button it does not stay lit up after I release it. 

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »

Well the good news is the VCR commander works and is a solid (oddly enough) piece of equipment.

I use mine for security triggered off a floodcam AND a MS16.

Programming was difficult though, I almost gave up. 

OK, as I remember you must, at some point, push the final programming button TWICE. Or you must press SOMETHING again to finish programming. This was counter intuitive but IS in the latest directions, but I think it was on a line that was continued next paragraph or something.

So following directions EXACTLY works, and I, for one, thought for 100 times that I HAD followed the directions. I hadn't.

Sorry for the lack of details, I don't feel like pulling everything out right now.

Other notes: I don't think I use the emitter that came with it, but one that came with the VCR for programming cable boxes. My biggest problem now is that the after a power failure the VCR wants to know what language I want, and won't record anything until you tell it. It also wants to record channel 2, not the floodcam. Cheap wal-mart VCR - time for a UPS.

The commander is also fairly close to the floodcam and MS16. (20 ft, 1 conrete wall).

HTH,

GLT (now registered)

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.