Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Preventing LM15 or other modules from blowing out  (Read 14386 times)

todd_m

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Preventing LM15 or other modules from blowing out
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:31:59 PM »

I have seen just about every time I have a light bulb that was plugged into a LM15A socket that goes out also takes the LM15A with it. Is there any way to prevent this. Its getting costly to keep buying new modules every time I need to switch a light bulb.

I also noticed this happened to a WS467. Same thing when the bulb burned out, the switch went too.

The only thing that I think has worked was I had a LM15A stuck in the a socket that was hard to reach and it was easier to change the light bulb. I then put in a WS467 (different light than the prior mentioned switch). Seems when that bulb went out it didn't take the switch with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At 19.99 per light bulb, I'm starting to have my doubts with x10.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Preventing LM15 or other modules from blowing out
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:39:59 AM »

todd_m,

I have been using X10 devices for many years and I have never experienced this problem. I have even, accidental, knocked over a floor lamp that was on, shattering the light bulb, and the lamp module still continued to work.  Could you give more detail as to your problem? What wattage bulbs are you using? Is it only one lamp? Are you having problems with other devices throughout the house blowing out?
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:51:32 AM »

I have blown a few myself. It is the surge from the bulb blowing that shorts the triac in the LM15a. I have see some posts that some brand bulbs are more pron to killing an LM15a than others. Since it does not dim I have used CFLs in a LM15a. Not reccomended by X10 as triacs don't get along with CFLs though mine have been fine for at least 4 months now.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »

I've blown a few my self as Brian H  stated the triac gets toasted! I read that this is more common in places where the LM15a is mounted upside down although mine were in lamps! I've read how to dismantle one to repair it but I've never tried it if I find the link I'll post! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »

Try Phillips brand bulbs.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »

I have had this happen a couple times and have successfully replaced the triac.  You can find an article on how to do this at http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/modifying_lamp_module.htm
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:05:33 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »

I use a RLM20 screw in module, I use this upside down, outside and have not had a problem with it.
Come to think of it, I may not have had to change the bulb in a year though ;)
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.