Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 433 MHz interference from eagle eyes to wireless thermometer. any way  (Read 46226 times)

jrx19

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

to circumvent?  I use some eagle eyes in hard-to-wire outdoor areas for coverage. these are causing my outdoor thermometer sensors from taylor to read ---- on the outdoor temperature readings (on all 3 channels). the CSR at taylor says this is 433 MHz interference (which appears to be true). I took the thermometer base and remote sensor about 100 yards away and reset them and they read fine until I came back to the house, then they read ---- again. I asked him if the frequency of the temperature sensors could be manually changed and he said he would contact their engineers in china. &^%$#@!@#$#$%. after getting no answer for about 6 weeks, I again contacted taylor, and the CSR said their engineers said "no".----????? (probably never got back to them). since I'm at a roadblock with changing the freq. of the thermometer sensors, I'm wondering if the frequency of the eagle eyes and the x-10 RF receiver can be changed manually, far enough away not to interact with the taylor remote temperature sensors? thx.

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23

If you're in the US, your Eagle Eye motion sensors transmit in the 310MHz range, not 433. It's not possible to change the frequencies of our sensors or receivers, unfortunately.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

jrx19; You can always double check that Taylor gave you the correct frequency. Any transmitting device has an FCC number on it that can be looked up on their web site. All X10 IDs start with B4S.
I can double check the frequency for you if you can't get it. Just give the FCC ID# and I can find it.

jrx19

thx for both professional replies. I thought I read somewhere that the eagle-eyes RF was at 433.8. the 1426 is the wireless thermometer model that I have. I have no other RF running (that I know of--perhaps a neighbor --or my wife spying on me ;D) and the problems with the temperature sensor started when added the eagle eyes to my system.  their e-mail  back to me.
What he would like to know ---

1.                  What is the exact broadcast frequency of the 1426?
Is it exactly 433 or some fraction?

IDT: 433MHz.

2.                  How wide an interference pattern will affect the
thermometer?  How big an area I think he means?

IDT: max 30 meters distance at sight.

You can always double check that Taylor gave you the correct frequency. Any transmitting device has an FCC number on it that can be looked up on their web site. All X10 IDs start with B4S.
I can double check the frequency for you if you can't get it. Just give the FCC ID# and I can find it.
the eagle eyes fcc ID is B4SMS12A  the taylor thermometer transmitters fcc ID is NMTTHR.128-01 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 07:49:37 PM by jrx19 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

The Taylor transmitters are 433.9 MHz. The X10 motion sensors are 310 MHz. Both could not be legally re-tuned with out loosing the FCC Acceptance.
Been awhile since I was active in two way radio work and transmitters; but under the right sircumstances; I guess a harmonic from one could effect the other. I take it the Taylor doesn't interfere with the motion sensors or any X10 RF remotes you have.

jrx19

I take it the Taylor doesn't interfere with the motion sensors or any X10 RF remotes you have
correct. I haven't had a bit of trouble with x-10 wireless motion sensors working. only the taylor wireless thermometers indicating four dashes (----) across the outside temperature, which I was told by taylor that this indicated 433 interference. also the taylor thermometers worked when I took the sending and receiving units down the block and reset each one. brought the sending unit and the receiver home, and within 5 minutes the receiving unit was indicating ---- again. I'm going to pull the batteries out of the 3 eagle eyes this weekend and reset the thermometers and verify that the x-10 motion sensors are the problem, and then troubleshoot from there.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

That sounds like a good set of tests. May give more details on the problem.

jrx19

I took the batteries out of the eagle-eyes and the taylor thermometer outdoor sensor is now back to working. (these thermometers are a PIA to reset once communication is lost between the 2 units. I wouldn't buy another set again) ?-about the eagle-eyes. since I took the batteries out do they have to be reprogrammed before they work as previously programmed ---as to house and unit code and whether to work in "dark conditions only" or "at all times" ---to retest and see if they are interferring with the thermometer communication.   --do they lose their programming with battery removal? thx

Brian H

• Community Organizer

If you set the sensors to anything else than the Defaults. You have to reprogram them again. Same goes for when you change the batteries.

jrx19

If you set the sensors to anything else than the Defaults. You have to reprogram them again. Same goes for when you change the batteries.
that's too bad. these things aren't very covert because they give themselves away in the dark with the leds. the best I've found is small black shrink tubing or black electrical tape wrapped over the leds which would require removal in order to reprogram. (unless you know a better way?  is there any way to program the eagle-eyes where the LEDs are inactive (until battery-removal/reset)--after initial programming? thx

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Not that I know of, short of covering them as you did. Of course hard to program if the LEDs are not seen.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

jrx19

FWIW I have a Seiko wireless thermeter using 433MHz and have no problem from my Active Eyes or Palm Pads, which also use 310 MHz.

The Eagle Eyes do not transmit all the time, only a "burst" when there is movement and another burst when they time out. However your description implies the Tayor goes blank and stays blank as soon as an Eagle Eye is brought close. I agree with Brian that the Eagle Eye may be interfering on a harmonic, (they ain't exacly Motorola or Collins Radio on the inside) but I wonder why the Taylor does not recover during the times Eagle Eye is not transmitting? Is there any type of control on the Taylor for recovering after interference? Also, have you tried new batteries in Taylor transmitter and receiver? Our seiko acts very strange when outside units batteries need changing.

Good luck
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.