Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 and energy saving bulbs incompatible?  (Read 28074 times)

jim532

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 and energy saving bulbs incompatible?
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:03:34 PM »

I  have an X10 remote wall switch controlling a ceiling light, in the ligt fixture i am using energy saving ligth bulbs.  when i turn the light off the bulbs remain very slightly illuminated.  Also when i try to use my keychain remoteor any other remote, i cannot dim the light.   Now when i use regular lightbulbs i do not have these problems.  Is there a fix for this?

Here is an example of what type of bulb I am using.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X10 and energy saving bulbs incompatible?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:04:28 AM »

CFL's don't like the trickle current that appliance, lamp and wall switch modules put out.  They and X10 are just not compatable.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:11:12 AM »

jim532: Most cfls aren't dimable but if you look hard enough ( says dimable on the package) you can find them or so I've been told and they will work with X10! I think I read a thread about them at ACCESSHA.COM do a search there as I'm sure the thread mentioned a couple of places you could purchase them! :D
CFL's don't like the trickle current that appliance, lamp and wall switch modules put out.  They and X10 are just not compatable
Dan Lawrence CFL's work fine with appliance modules It's just the dimable module/switches that are the problem and yes you can find none diming wall switches which work fine with regular CFLs as well!. My house is about 95 % CFLs with no problems I only use the regular bulbs here in some old lamps which CFLs won't fit :'( the lamps are the only things on dimmer type modules as I haven't looked or needed to look for the dimable CFLs  :) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

Sorry about the appliance module.   :(

Tried the accessha.com link you provided, but it took me to the BBS, where I dicovered your'e in Toronto!!!! Been there a couple of times for the streetcars.  :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:02:53 PM »

Actualy a little west of there Oshawa but few have heard of that city! ;)
Link takes you to the BBS as I couldn't remember the exact location of the post But I knew it was there!
here is the link to a post with Dimable CFL brands
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:06:06 PM »

Actually, I even know of Oshawa. The Shore Line Electric Raiway Museum in New Haven, CT has a line car from Oshawa.

Getting back to X10 and CFLs', I read the thread, it was infromative, but not really helpful. No brands mentioned. It did mention that the Big Box strores don't carry dimmable CFL's.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »

Dan is correct on some CFLs not liking Appliance Modules. Some will trigger the local control sensing and turn back on when commended to go off. Also some under ideal conditions may flicker when off. Fix is the warranty killing mods for the disabling the sensing circuit current. I have done the mod on 6 modules with CFLs.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.