Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me automate my lights!  (Read 11754 times)

gtsguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Help me automate my lights!
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »

Hi.  I have a light outside by the front door that's controlled by a single switch and two other lights on both sides of the garage door controlled by another switch.  I would like to control all three lights by both switches.  I think I would have to change the switches but don't know which ones I need.  In addition to this I would like all the lights to be controlled by an outside motion sensor that make them come on only in the dark for a couple minutes.  I think I would need motion sensor MS16A for this or is there a better one out there? 

Ok, I had another question about motion sensors; since I would put one to monitor the driveway for cars, but since the garage sticks out further out than the front door, can I use another motion sensor by the front door??  Or will they cancel each other out?  Let's say the one by the garage senses motion, it sends and "on" signal to turn the lights on, then the sensor by the front door senses motion and it sends another "on" will that shut the lights off??

Could you guys that recommend the switches, could you list parts # of them since there are different ones out there.  Thank you.

kk

Re: Help me automate my lights!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

Here's what I would do.  I would change out the switches with wall switches WS467 and set them all to the same unit code.  I would use a TM751 transceiver set to the same house code as the wall switches.  I would then use 2 MS14A EagleEye motion sensors, also set to the same unit and house codes as the wall switches.  I don't think the "on" signals from the motion sensors would cancel each other out.  This way, any wall switch you turn on will turn on all the lights, and so will the motion sensors.

gtsguy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 11:15:05 PM »

Ok, thanks.  I had another question then, my current switch(plate) by the front door looks like this one:

So what other switch can I use to match that plate?? 

The one that controls the lights by the garage looks like this:

So I take it that the one that you suggested will work fine there??  Will they still work how I want them to?  Thanks again!!

kk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »

I'm a novice with electrical stuff, and fairly new to X-10, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in here if I'm wrong, but I think the X-10 wall switches will replace both of those and work fine.  You'll just have to get another cover plate for the bigger switch.  (They're really cheap.)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »

kk; Is correct. If you want to use a toggle type in both places the WS467 can be used. If you want a decorator type to match the front door. The WS12A [dimming] WS14a [Relay for things like a cfl] and the WS13a Companion if you want a threeway. Are all decorator types. Note the WS14a relay needs a neutral power wire in the box besides the hot and load.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »

Old age creeping up on me. WS13a is the relay WS14 is the companion.  :-[

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »

I'm using two motion detectors for my long hallway, one on each end. Either one will or both will transmit an on command to the hall light when motion detected. This setup has worked good for me. The hall light will turn off about one minute after motion is no longer detected. Two motion detectors set on the same codes should work for your driveway and front door.

gtsguy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »

Thanks James.  That's what I needed to know about the motion detectors.

KK and Brian, I forgot to ask about what if I wanted to flip one switch and just have the lights on for a while(let's say I was expecting company), then turn them off after awhile locally??  Would I have to put a master switch by the front door(WS-12A) and a companion switch in the garage(WS-14A)?  So by flipping one switch(either or) all three lights should come on locally, right??  Sorry, I know I'm dragging this out.  Just a little confused.  Thanks again to all!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 02:46:55 PM »

If they are not set up in a three way setup originally. Like either a switch in the garage or front door can switch them all. Then you will not be able to switch all of them locally. If they where all on the same address [house and unit codes] then a tabletop controller or a remote could switch them all together. Also an All Lights ON or All Lights off will switch any light module or wall switch on a house code. For safety appliance modules don't process all light on or all lights off. They do follow the all units off.
I will have to look at the wiring diagrams to see if loads are ok on both the master and companion ends of the wiring.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »

Here's what I would do.  I would change out the switches with wall switches WS467 and set them all to the same unit code.  I would use a TM751 transceiver set to the same house code as the wall switches.  I would then use 2 MS14A EagleEye motion sensors, also set to the same unit and house codes as the wall switches.  I don't think the "on" signals from the motion sensors would cancel each other out.  This way, any wall switch you turn on will turn on all the lights, and so will the motion sensors.
Great answer there!

The only thing I might do differently after replacing the wall switches (Yes, you will need to pickup a new plate cover when you replace the wide switch.) is build a macro in AHP with the same house code as the wall switch. Macros would allow you to do almost anything with the lights. eg. Come on full brightness and then turn off after a few minutes. (Great for exiting the house.) Why you could even have the lights flash or dim if you wanted.

You could even use different codes for the light switches and build two macros. eg. Let's say you use B1 for the front door light switch and B2 for the garage door switch. Then you could build a macro B1 that would send a signal to turn both lights B1 & B2 on and off after say 3 hours. Call it the "welcome macro". (Tip: Putting both the lights in a room by themselves such as "Outdoor Lights" would make this easier to manage.) Then create macro B2 that turns on both lights B1 & B2 and off after say 10 minutes. (15 or 20 minutes if you have kids.)  ;) Call it the "exit macro".

...KK and Brian, I forgot to ask about what if I wanted to flip one switch and just have the lights on for a while(let's say I was expecting company), then turn them off after awhile locally?? Would I have to put a master switch by the front door(WS-12A) and a companion switch in the garage(WS-14A)? So by flipping one switch(either or) all three lights should come on locally, right?? Sorry, I know I'm dragging this out. Just a little confused. Thanks again to all!
BTW... The switches are not up and down toggle switches but a push button switches. You may want to build more macros that trigger on "OFF" for the codes also.

Hope that helps and welcome to the wonderful word of X10.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gtsguy

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 01:25:05 AM »

OK, thanks guys.  The single light by the front door and the other two lights are not connected to each other in anyway.  So no matter what switches I use, I won't be able to turn all three lights by either switch?  I would have to use a controler to do that.  That was the part I'm not getting.  Thanks.

kk

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »

Ahhh...I just re-read your post and I see why you're confused.  (maybe because of how I worded something I wrote.)  Pressing the button on the wall switch at the front door will only turn on the lights at the front door.  Yes, you would need to use a controller, but you could use the little key fob remote and keep it in your pocket or hang it on a hook near the lights or whatever.  You might want to have one near the front and one near the garage lights.  If you wanted to, you could even set it up as a macro that will turn the lights all on and then turn them off after a specified amount of time with only one press of the button.  I have a key fob set up to turn the porch light on and then turn it off after 20 minutes.  When you get the hang of this X-10 stuff, you'll love it!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:19:05 AM by kk »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

...I won't be able to turn all three lights by either switch?  I would have to use a controler to do that.  That was the part I'm not getting.  Thanks.
Oops... My earlier long dissertation was assuming you had AHP with macros.
If you replace the current switches with X10 ones you can control both lights from either switch but it will require additional hardware and software, such as AHP. Despite the challenges you hear about using AHP, it's really a bargain product. It would handle your current needs and much more.
eg. In addition to the stuff I mentioned earlier, you could add timers for your lights.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gtsguy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »

Woops!  Yeah, I don't have AHP but plan on getting it latter down the road.  Guess I should've worded it differently.  Thank you guys.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »

OK, thanks guys.  The single light by the front door and the other two lights are not connected to each other in anyway.  So no matter what switches I use, I won't be able to turn all three lights by either switch?  I would have to use a controller to do that.  That was the part I'm not getting.  Thanks.

If you want to be able to turn on and off all of the lights at the switch, I would reccomend using a 2-way switch.  Unfortunately X10 doesn't make any 2-way wall switches, but SmartHome, Leviton and ACT all do.  The most economical option would be the SmartHome Icon Dimmer Switch or ICON On/Off Switch.  It is X10 compatible so that you could still use the MS14A and TM751 (or RR501).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.