Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problems with EagleEye Motion MS14A  (Read 13537 times)

Richardd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
problems with EagleEye Motion MS14A
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:22:01 PM »

Having a problem getting the EagleEye that is currently mounted outside the house to send a signal to the VCR commander.  I've replaced the batteries in the EagleEye.  It sends the signal to the VCR commander when the EagleEye is in the house and is triggered in the house, but when it's outside it doesn't work.
It worked fine until the temp went down to -40C (-40F) during this past February.  The temperatures have warmed up to 65 F since.  However, I can't get the EagleEye to work properly when mounted outside the house.  Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: problems with EagleEye Motion MS14A
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »

All the X10 motion sensors work on detecting a temperature change with an IR detector. -40F is awful cold and I would say the batteries where frozen even if the sensor would work with that temperature. Lithium batteries and cold are a better combination but probably not that cold.
Is the sensor mounted directly on a metal surface? If so try spacing it out maybe an inch with a piece of wood or nonmetallic material.
How far is the sensor to the VCR Commander when in the outside mounting? Reception is effected by distance and what is between the sensor and the receiver.

Richardd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »

Brian H...thanks for the response.
The eagleeye is mounted on vinyl siding.  The VCR commander is about 40 feet from the unit....separated by only walls.
What's puzzling me is that the eagleeye worked fine in that same location since last fall right up to the cold spell this past February.  I'm thinking that somehow the transmission strength was affected by the cold snap in some way.  There's been no new electronics (ie cordless phones, etc) added to the house since the original installation.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »

Since it did work last fall and you have made no changes. I also think that the cold may have damages someting. Since it still trips and controls at a short distance. Guess is the RF Transmission area.

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »

Might try the new Lithuim batteries. 1.8V will handle better vs the 1.58v
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

Richardd

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

Thanks again for the help.
I'm going to try another eagleEye in that location, then try the lithium batteries to see what happens.

RockinDolphin

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 01:34:04 AM »

Perhaps the cold broke-loose a cold-solder connection, or something?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.