Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A Reliability Question  (Read 6099 times)

bielser

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A Reliability Question
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:32 AM »

I have used the CM11 control module for about six years now.  Each one lasted about two years.  Each one would lock up three or four times per year and then eventually die.  I have always been frustrated with the CM11 locking up and having to go through the ritual of removing the batteries, etc. to bring it back to life.  I am looking to upgrade to the CM15A but only if it is more reliable and stable than the CM11.  Is the CM15A any more reliable and stable than the CM11? 

I just tried the PowerLinc 1132CU for a couple of weeks.  It was very reliable with on and off commands but I had problems with dim commands in the macros.  I have four different lights that need to be dimmed but it would only dim one successfully in the macros.  I could dim them with the software if I had the 1132CU connected to the computer but not when disconnected and running the program. 

If the CM15A is not any more reliable, I will not waste my money. 

I am looking forward to any input that anyone can share.  Thank you in advance. 

arf1410

Re: CM15A Reliability Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »

personally, I find the CM15A LESS reliable than my CM11A

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:19:32 PM »

When I had Active Home and the CM11A, It was rock solid and never gave me a bit of trouble.  The CM15A that came with Active Home Pro is all right, but there are issues with it from some users.  The big problem that arose with the CM11A was the fact that as 10 users moved to WindowsXP, alot had COM port problems with the CM11A and had to upgrade to AHP to go to the USB CM15A unit.

My CM15A has not given me any trouble since I got it last July.  If you are running AH under Windows XP with no problems and don't need the AHP add-ons, stay with it.

If your X10 system is basic (lamp & appliance modules, etc), AHP will work.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bielser

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:39:46 PM »

I started out with Active Home software on a Windows 95 machine.  Somewhere along the line I got an IBM Home Director interface (it appeared to be a CM11A interface) with the IBM Home Director software.  Everything seemed to be identical to the Active Home brand items.  There were no issues when I upgraded my PC to a Windows XP machine.  The serial interface has never given me problems.  I am still using the IBM Home Director software with an Active Home CM11A interface.  In fact, I have run that software on the last two Active Home CM11A interfaces. 

My CM11A is starting to get flaky again and I was hoping I could upgrade and gain some stability. 

Thanks to everyone for your input.  If anyone else has anything to add, I would welcome the information. 

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »

I have never used the original Active Home or the CM11A so I can comment on how AHP compares to it.  When I first received my CM15A, the timers would stop working after about 2 weeks disconnected from the PC.  At the time a lot of people were having this problem with different failure intervals.

About a year ago X10 replaced it with a "diagnostic unit" and that seemed to solve all of my problems and it has been working reliably ever since.  The only time it seems to lock up on me now is when I try to connect it to the PC after it having been disconnected for several weeks.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 03:15:03 AM »

Nerver had any problems with mine either left it running for 2 years straight once. It's actually still working!

Tj

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »

bielser:
I can't compare my CM15A with either the CM11A or the PowerLinc 1132CU  but if you check out Accessah.com there are alot of users that switched to the  PowerLinc 1132CU  from the CM15A. that maybe able to help you getting it working.
My AHP setup is stable for most of the time only seem to have small problems after an update. But thats because I go looking for bugs! ;) :D
I'm one of the early users had it since Sept 04. and I don't thing of myself as a power user but do have all the plugins. Most of the unhappy users were power useres that switched to the  PowerLinc 1132CU .
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

arf1410

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »

Tom J - considering the CM15A was only released in Ooct 2004, how could you have left it running for 2 years?

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »

Tom J - considering the CM15A was only released in Ooct 2004, how could you have left it running for 2 years?

That's because I wasn't talking about the 15A I was referring to the 11A.

Tcj

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.