Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home (not pro), CM11A, and Compaq Laptop  (Read 25450 times)

bigbear1969

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Active Home (not pro), CM11A, and Compaq Laptop
« on: April 14, 2006, 05:15:23 PM »

Let me start with a little history here because at one time this rig worked, but I've changed several things.

In my old town house, i had a dedicated desktop (power plugged into the thruput on the CM11A) running the version of Active Home (not pro) that came with my kit, thru a CM11A with serial cable on Windows 2000 pro. I had several modules and no phase coupler (because I'd never needed one). There were several other computers on a hardwired network with this machine. This setup worked.

When I bought a house (last august) I knew it would be a while before I got everything up and running so I copied the my house file onto my laptop. During the move, the desktop computer and cm11a were damaged. I've been running on just remotes and hardwired controllers since then. I also had phase issues, so I ran a 104k, 630v Capacitor across the legs of a 240 breaker in my breaker box. This fixed my phase issues as far as the remotes and hardwired controllers were concerned).

In the past couple of days, I've downloaded the most recent Active Home (not pro) from the x10 website and loaded my old my house file into it. I had another cm11a (new in box).

So last night, I hooked it up to my laptop (running on battery) and could not get the software to communicate with the cm11a on any of the com ports.

Any ideas?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Active Home (not pro), CM11A, and Compaq Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:32:51 PM »

There is a issue with Active home and XP if that is the OS your using ,also I've read posts about Compaq Laptops and home automation problems mostly usb stuff though.
Try add another OS to your laptop if running XP. XP allows this. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bigbear1969

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:24:11 PM »

There is a issue with Active home and XP if that is the OS your using...

Nope. 2000 pro.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »

If you let the AH Software auto pick the com port try in the configuration area manually picking the port. My friend installed his and it picked the Wong port. I ended up resetting it manually. If the laptop has settings for 'On Battery Power' are the com ports enabled?

bigbear1969

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 02:56:51 PM »

So last night when I got home I tried again and have discovered that if I have the CM11A connected to the serial port when I boot the computer, I have the above problem. However, when I connect the serial cable to the computer after the computer is booted up, it works fine. Go figure...

wirenut50

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:09:50 PM »

Just spring for the ActiveHome Pro!  I was using a Compac laptop with the old activehome, it worked fine.  I never left the laptop on and connected to the Interface, instead just downloaded the timers.  Then, with the daylight savings time change, I wanted to update my timers.  Booted up the laptop, it was dead!  Well, it was a really old laptop.  Since I also had a new laptop, I thought I would just use it, guess what?, no serial port!  So I ordered Pro and it is great, works better and more easily than the old version.  It is well worth the $49.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.