Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do I add Smarthome products in Active Home Pro?  (Read 6475 times)

tricky ricky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How do I add Smarthome products in Active Home Pro?
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:05:22 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have picked up my Activehome Pro/CM15A after putting it away for nearly a year (it looked too painfull :P) and I am ready to give it another try since there is a new software version 3.203.
Should I waste my time or just put it away for another year?

I have several Smarthome's Switchlinc, Keypadlinc & Lamplinc modules throughout my home and they still do not seem to be supported in Active Home Pro  ???.
Reading through this forum, I see references to 'Preset Dim' not being supported for Smarthome products by Active Home Pro.
The workaround seems to be to program a 'Scene' for the Smarthome module with the desired 'Dim' setting and then have two modules in Active home Pro, one to control the Smarthome modules 'On/Off' and the other to control the Smarthome modules programmed 'Scene' 'On/Off' which simulates the 'Preset Dim' which is not supported by Active Home Pro.
What is the best Active Home Pro supported module to substitute for these Smarthome modules?

I did find the 'Extended Code' and 'X10 Address Command' in the 'Macro Designer' section of Active Home Pro. I Assume I can create macros using these commands to program the Smarthome module 'Scenes' and other stuff. I currently program my Philip's Pronto TSU3000 Home Theater Remote and use it with an X10 IR-543AH to do all my Smarthome module programming.
Will the Smarthome module programming go easier using Active Home Pro Macros?

Does anyone have any other Active Home Pro tricks to support Smarthome products that I can use?  

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:09:06 PM by tricky ricky »

arf1410

Re: How do I add Smarthome products in Active Home Pro?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »

I (along with several others) tried to write a Active Home macro to be used to program my Smarthome Switchlincs, but no sucess...

CM15A has definetly improved with the newer software over a year ago, however it is still far from perfect.  Even most of those on this forum who are having good reliablity still seem to have to clear, reset, and re-download to the CM15A every couple of weeks.  Its a great system for those who like to tinker, but as far as a reliable way of controlling much of anything...stick it back in the box for a looooooong time.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:18:31 AM »

Even most of those on this forum who are having good reliablity still seem to have to clear, reset, and re-download to the CM15A every couple of weeks.

Can you point me to a recent thread where other people are having to do this?  I haven't heard this complaint in a long time.

The only time I have to reset my CM15A is when I want to connect it to my computer after having had it disconnected (and running) for an extended period of time (over a month).  Now, when I want to connect it to my computer, I reset my CM15A first.  This isn't a perfect situation, but I can live with it.

arf1410

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:55:08 AM »

On April 19th, Roger1818 stated he has to reset it prior to connecting it to his PC ...

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:00:32 AM »

I have picked up my Activehome Pro/CM15A after putting it away for nearly a year (it looked too painfull :P) and I am ready to give it another try since there is a new software version 3.203.
Should I waste my time or just put it away for another year?

Check the date code on your CM15A (a little sticker on the bottom of the CM15A).  About a year ago X10 released a "diagnostic unit" which seems to have fixed the reliability problems.  I believe the first date code of the diagnostic units is 05C10 (though I am not sure about this).  If yours is the old unit, see if you can get it replaced.

What is the best Active Home Pro supported module to substitute for these Smarthome modules?

I would reccomend a standard appliance module.  This will send an On command instead of bright commands.  You can also define a lamp module at the same address to allow you to set a different brightness if you want.  There is now an option to have On to 100% send an On command instead of the bright commands, but it applies to all macros and as such is really quite useless.

I did find the 'Extended Code' and 'X10 Address Command' in the 'Macro Designer' section of Active Home Pro. I Assume I can create macros using these commands to program the Smarthome module 'Scenes' and other stuff. I currently program my Philip's Pronto TSU3000 Home Theater Remote and use it with an X10 IR-543AH to do all my Smarthome module programming.
Will the Smarthome module programming go easier using Active Home Pro Macros?

SmartHome modules do not support "Extended Code" commands.  What we really need is the ability to send arbitrary standard commands in AHP.  The SDK does let you send arbitrary X10 commands, so it is probably the best way to program your SmartHome modules.  I have written a program to automate the programming of SmartHome modules using the SDK.  I will let you know when it is available for download.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:28:14 AM »

On April 19th, Roger1818 stated he has to reset it prior to connecting it to his PC ...

Nice try, but re-read my post. I asked for a thread where people need to "clear, reset, and re-download to the CM15A every couple of weeks."  There are two key differences:
  • I only need to reset the unit*
  • It only needs to be done if I am connecting it to my PC

If I don't want to reconnect it to my PC, it will work reliably for as long as I want it to.  If I am wanting to connect it to my PC, I am fiddling with the CM15A anyway and resetting it isn't a big deal.  As I said, this isn't optimal, but I can live with it.  I couldn't live with it if I had to reset it every couple weeks just to keep it working (I had to do that with my pre-diagnostic unit).

* Yes you need to plug it into the computer to set the clock again (x10nets.exe will do it automatically), but since I am only doing this when I want to plug it into the computer, that is a non-issue.

arf1410

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »

AHP currently can send address only commands, which in theory can be used to program the switchlincs, but I have been unable to have any sucess doing that, and I think several others (on this forum) hvae also tried, without success reported.

I guess I am not really sure the differences between clear, reset, and re-download.  When the unit is "reset" (removing batteries), that would clear the memory, and therefore you would need to re-download ...

(PS - as an only slightly related sidenote, a recently purchased Samsung DVD recorder(for TV, not PC) may have bumped the CM15A off its pedestal as the most poorly designed, "not ready for primetime" consumer electronic product I have ever purchased)

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »

AHP currently can send address only commands, which in theory can be used to program the switchlincs, but I have been unable to have any sucess doing that, and I think several others (on this forum) hvae also tried, without success reported.

Being able to send address only commands is useful for programming SmartHome modules, but being able to sending the PresetDim command is also important and AHP cannot do that (yet?).

I guess I am not really sure the differences between clear, reset, and re-download.  When the unit is "reset" (removing batteries), that would clear the memory, and therefore you would need to re-download ...

The program is stored in an EEPROM, which doesn't get erased after a reset.  The clock, however, does need to be set.

(PS - as an only slightly related sidenote, a recently purchased Samsung DVD recorder(for TV, not PC) may have bumped the CM15A off its pedestal as the most poorly designed, "not ready for primetime" consumer electronic product I have ever purchased)

I am sorry to hear about your experience with your Samsung DVD recorder.  I will keep that in mind when shopping for one for myself.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.