Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problem with appliance module  (Read 14103 times)

rrr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
problem with appliance module
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:25:14 PM »

I just connected a low voltage lighting transformer (for outdoor landscape lights) to a SR227 (appliance) module. When the module is OFF, the LEDs on the transformer flicker. When the module is ON, the transformer works fine. I'm worried that the "current leakage" when the module is off will eventually kill the transformer.

Is there any reason a SR227 can't control a transformer? Does it have something to do with the "local control" feature in the module? I tried adding a "cube tap" to the module output, and connecting both a small (0.3 watt) night lite, along with the transformer, but no difference.

Any ideas?
thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: problem with appliance module
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »

SR227 is the split wall outlet. I will do some checking as I am not sure it has Local Control. If it does that could be what is keeping the LED flickering. 03. Watt bulb? If so too small. As a test try maybe a 7 watt night light or a 15 to 25 watt light bulb.

rrr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: problem with appliance module -- solved! somewhat....
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »

I tried a 7watt nite light, and the problem is now gone. Thanks.
Yes, I had a 0.3watt lite. Apparently too low a current for the module to detect.

So my next problem is that I don't have room in the junction box to fit a 7watt bulb! (that is why I tried the 0.3watt one...).
 :-\

Any other ideas?

thanks for your help!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: problem with appliance module -- solved! somewhat....
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »

I tried a 7watt nite light, and the problem is now gone.

Sounds like the SR227 does have local control and that is causing your problem.  I don't know how to disable it on an SR227, but here is an article on how to disable it on a regular appliance module: Defeating local current sensing  It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to modify an SR227.

So my next problem is that I don't have room in the junction box to fit a 7watt bulb!

I would highly reccomend that you not put a bulb of any size inside the junction box!  If you don't mind having the LED flicker, the current leakage won't harm the transformer, otherwise you can try to modify the SR227.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: problem with appliance module
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »

I second that thought on not putting anything like a bulb inside the wall box.
As for local control defeating on an Appliance Module. The newer ones where you cut a small jumper stops the module from turning back on but does not stop the small current that flickers the LEDs from being there. Cutting a few parts out does.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.