Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ws4777 won't dim  (Read 11185 times)

sailors4

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ws4777 won't dim
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:52:01 PM »

A couple days ago I installed a WS4777 set (main & companion switches) in a 3-way circuit controlling my outdoor porch light and front lanterns.  The switches work as expected manually (locally), but will not turn on/off or dim from the ActiveHome program or smart remote.  The controlled lights do respond to a macro that is set up to turn lights on and off from a keyfob.  Why will a macro control this switch, but a direct command to turn on, off or dim from the ActiveHome software or smart remote will not?  I set this switch up as house/module code A4, and I have about 10 other devices that operate as expected on the A house code.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: ws4777 won't dim
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:10:19 PM »

That is strange.  My first guess is that it is some type of signal strength or powerline noise issue, although that doesn't explain why it works from a macro but not from the ActiveHome software.  Are you using the original ActiveHome or ActiveHome Pro?  Do you have a phase coupler?

sailors4

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »

I'm using ActiveHome 1.4 and I do have a phase coupler.  I moved my transceiver around to a couple other outlets, and it made no difference, either to the WS4777 or any other modules.  I'm 99.9% certain it's not a coupling issue, because as you pointed out, if that were the case it wouldn't work from a macro.  And it works every time from the macro.   Hmmm.  I'm stumped.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »

The regular X10 brand wall switches are the least reliable of all of the X10 modules, so it doesn't surprise me that you are having a problem with a WS4777, but whether you send the command from the AH S/W or a macro shouldn't make any difference (either way the command is coming from the CM11A).  What happens if you try to turn it on with a timer?  Also, what happens if you unplug your CM11A and plug the transceiver in the outlet that it was plugged into and try to control it with your keyfob?

Despite this strangeness, I figure it is probably a signal related issue.  Try unplugging (don't just turn off) everything that is on the same circuit as the WS4777 and see if it starts to work for you. 

Let me know what happens.  I will do my best to help you, but this is really a strange one.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »

just checked my bedroom, which has a WS477 wall switch controlling an outlet with two table lamps on a dresser. I used AHP to turn it on to 50% and wallked into the room, to see the two lanps lit at 50% brightness.

The answer seems to be yes, a wall switch, either WS477 or WS4777 will dim.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.