Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ceiling Fans w/Lights & X10 control?  (Read 16384 times)

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
Ceiling Fans w/Lights & X10 control?
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:49:26 PM »

X10 sells an in-line module now, could you use say 3 of them to control the different fan speeds?
wiring the speeds separately (constant power) and the Light controlled by the switch for dimming, then you control the speeds and light.

I was wanting to do the above and instead of the X10 dimmer switch for lights, use a KeypadLinc by insteon and use the extra 4 buttons for fan control. and maybe saving adding extra wiring for the fan, use a X10 dimmer module In the fan to control dimming and program the keypad On/Off for the lights. ;) think this is doable? or fire risk? :)
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: Ceiling Fans w/Lights & X10 control?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 12:18:27 PM »

Interesting idea.  It is probably doable, but you would need a really large box (or multiple boxes) to fit all of the in-line modules.  I presume you are wanting to use the fan's speed control module.  I would check the continuity of the current speed control switch.  I gather it isn't what you would normally expect.

Alternately. instead of using 3 in-line modules to control the different fan speeds, Dr. Ed. Chung has designed a No-Hum Fan Speed Controller which you can build.  In his project, he takes processes the output of a modified wall switch, but there is no reason you couldn't use an in-line dimmer.

Also, Lightolier makes a 3-Speed programmable Fan Control that is X10 compatible.  At $95 it is kind of expensive, but it probably isn't that much more expensive than 3 in-line modules.  It is a Decora wall switch, but you could probably stuff it in a box just as easily as 3 in-line modules.

I have often thought it would be nice if someone made a fan/light in-line module that would would control the fan and light independently (optimally with a 3-speed fan controller).  If you think about it, much of the circuitry could be shared in the combined module.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »

I'd like a X10 module package (interal) that would control both the lights and the fan.  I've got my living room ceiling fan on X10 and a timer in AHP to control it, but my dining room has a Ceiling Fan with a light.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:40:03 PM »

Mystyx

Roger stole my Ed Chung thunder, but he is right on. Another problem to consider in  using three appliance modules to control fan speed is accidentally leaving multiple modules ON.  As you switch from say... medium to low speed, you MUST remember to turn the medium speed module OFF first. Otherwise you will have two slightly different phase signals going to the motor simultaneously. The motor won't care, but you might cause a cap to heat up if you forgot to turn the previous speed (medium in the example) OFF. You could use AHP to perform the logic. Personally I vote with Roger on the Lightolier solution.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »

Thanks those are great ideas. :)

roger1818
Those are good ideas, A friend found a remote controlled one (no X10) fan and light with a switch, but it doesn't work now :)

X10 should come out with one, lots of people replace lights with the combo now. we have 5 ceiling fans atm some id even like to control to make sure they are not all on at once in this old home :)

dave w
Another problem to consider in  using three appliance modules to control fan speed is accidentally leaving multiple modules ON.  As you switch from say... medium to low speed, you MUST remember to turn the medium speed module OFF first. Otherwise you will have two slightly different phase signals going to the motor simultaneously. The motor won't care, but you might cause a cap to heat up if you forgot to turn the previous speed (medium in the example) OFF.
[/size]
this is the fire hazard I'm talking about other then heating up multiple modules in one small box :)
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:46:47 PM »

Don't forget that the XPDI3 Inductive Dimmer Switch can be used as a fan speed controller for loads up to 500W.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.