Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What happens when a timer spans midnight?  (Read 15293 times)

arf1410

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: What happens when a timer spans midnight?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »

TV plugged into a lamp module that is on at 7:00 am, off at midnight, 15 hours later.  You've lost me on how that is a problem...

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »

I must be having trouble expressing myself.

I want to turn ON a light every Friday at 8pm. I want the light to turn OFF the same night at 1am, 5 hours later.

However, because 1am is after midnight - i.e., the following day - I must set one timer for Friday 8pm ON and a second timer for Saturday 1am OFF.

If I were to use a single timer for Friday ON at 8pm and OFF at 1am, the OFF command would precede the ON command by 19 hours, which is not what I want to happen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 07:08:56 PM by Bob W. »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »

I must be having trouble expressing myself.
It's clear to me what you're trying to do!

So I'm guessing that if I need to turn on at 8pm Tuesday evening and off at 1am Wednesday morning, I need two separate timers.

No.

AHP will allow you to create a timer for specific days.  When you create a timer for a module (or modules), when the timer disigner opens, click on the View Adavanced Layout (which is underlined). When the Advanced Layout opens, you will see you can create timers for a single day, weekdays, weekends or any combination. You can select certain days, Sunday to Saturday of each week.  Try it, you will see how easy and flexible timers can be, from every day to once a week on Tuesdays, creating is a breeze.

Actually Yes.
While the day timers are useful, to only have it do the specific example Bob uses above he will need an on timer for 8pm Tuesday and an off timer for 1am Wednesday.

eg. Setting a single timer to come on at 8pm and off at 1am Tue.
  • Off Tue at 1am - Extra to above example
  • On Tue at 8pm - Meets above example
Also it is never turned off on Wed.

eg. Setting a single timer to come on at 8pm and off at 1am for days Tue and Wed will result in...
  • Off Tue at 1am - Extra to above example
  • On Tue at 8pm - Meets above example
  • Off Wed at 1am - Meets above example
  • On Wed at 8pm - Extra to above example

Not restricting to any particular day, as others have mentioned, will result in an 8pm ON and a 1am OFF for everyday.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »

You are incorrect.

The Advanced Layout allows you to make a timer for a specific day of the week (say Tuesday @ 7:00 PM on to Wednesday @ 1:00 AM). That timer will turn the module on at 7:00 PM Tuesday and turn that module off at 1:00 AM Wednesday.

You could create a timer that does the same thing on Thursday and off on Friday morning.

I've got timers that turn certain lights on at 6:30 AM and turns all the house lights off at 7:30 AM weekdays only. The timers don't run on the weekends.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 09:57:27 PM »

The Advanced Layout allows you to make a timer for a specific day of the week (say Tuesday @ 7:00 PM on to Wednesday @ 1:00 AM). That timer will turn the module on at 7:00 PM Tuesday and turn that module off at 1:00 AM Wednesday.
I still can't see how to do this. I'm looking at the Advanced Layout. It appears to me that both ON and OFF will occur on the same day. Sorry I'm being dense; can you tell me exactly what to do to implement your example in a single timer?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 01:50:46 AM »

...The Advanced Layout allows you to make a timer for a specific day of the week (say Tuesday @ 7:00 PM on to Wednesday @ 1:00 AM). That timer will turn the module on at 7:00 PM Tuesday and turn that module off at 1:00 AM Wednesday.
Prehaps your Advanced Layout looks different than mine or we have a different definition of multiple timers. To set a "timer will turn the module on at 7:00 PM Tuesday and turn that module off at 1:00 AM Wednesday" requires two timers for the module on my layout.

Further more I put a time for Fri to turn on at 11:00pm and off again at 1:35am. It's Sat at 1:50am here and the light is still on. It works like I said earlier.

...It appears to me that both ON and OFF will occur on the same day...
They will. Go ahead and make the 2 timers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:14:57 AM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 02:11:38 AM »

..I've got timers that turn certain lights on at 6:30 AM and turns all the house lights off at 7:30 AM weekdays only. The timers don't run on the weekends.
This is our point exactly!
That will work with 1 timer because you're not crossing the midnight hour.
On the other hand, if your range had been on at 6:30 PM and turns all the house lights off at 7:30 AM weekdays only, your lights would still be on at 7:35 AM Sat morning.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:14:20 AM by steven r »

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 10:03:43 AM »

On the other hand, if your range had been on at 6:30 PM and turns all the house lights off at 7:30 AM weekdays only, your lights would still be on at 7:35 AM Sat morning.

That is correct, and that is the way it should work.  The software shouldn't be trying to correct for this since maybe you do want the module to be on all weekend long.  It would be even more confusing if you told the timer to turn modules off M-F and the software actually turned the modules off T-Sa.

But the behavior is counter-intuitive. AHP ought to at least display a warning when the user tries to create a timer which spans midnight because it's probably not going to do what he wants unless it's 7 days a week.

I agree that a warning would be useful when the off time is before the on time and the timer isn't triggered every day of the year.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.