Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 - worth it or not? not a cynic...  (Read 10269 times)

djm3801

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 - worth it or not? not a cynic...
« on: April 23, 2006, 10:12:29 AM »

I have been a fan of x10 for many years and have ordered a lot of "stuff" over the years from X10. In fact, I have been known to run out to Radio Shack and pay too much for a module because I wanted one NOW.

My issues:
- x10 stuff in my home sometimes works and sometimes not and rarely works without being triggered by anyone in my home.
- x10 very sensitive to many appliances and electronic devices we buy as has been noted in this forum. An automated home will typically be one with several computers, lots of stereo equipment, lot of electronic toys in genera, increasing this problem. I do not feel that we should have to buy these noise reduction modules every time we buy a new electronic toy due to power supply / other noise. I'd need about 20 of them!
- x10 not a good partner with energy saving bulbs. I do not care about dimming. I do not mind saving a buck on energy costs.
- outside spotlight modules very undependable. (sort of a isolated complaint - I have had to replace all of them over the years. Removed all of them finally)

I had almost every room equipped with lamp dimmers, x10 wall switches, outside light modules, Activehome. I actually purchased a home security system and a number of additional window and door modules from X10 but never installed it because of the flukey nature of the performance. I installed a phase coupler thingy in my main breaker box across two breakers on different phases and noticed no difference. That was a few years ago. I have gradually removed almost all of my x10 automation at the request of my family. BUT - I WANT MY X10, and I'd really like to put the security system I bought into operation, but not if the entire system is not reliable. I am at least 200' from the nearest home and most of these folks would not know x10 from xrated.

I have read the troubleshooting stuff and read all about RF noise and phase couplers and noise reduction modules. What am I missing here?

Ideas, suggestions welcome, as I have a large investment in hardware and I like it - but not if it is flaky.

Dan

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 - worth it or not? not a cynic...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:18:09 PM »

Actualy You can find fault will all home automation toys just read some of the other forums (Accessha forum,HomeSeer forum,The homeautomation forum) they all have posted problems with different devices. If your looking for a 100% accurate system that never fails you have to work at it and still it will fail eventually, or put it in a box and put it up on E-Bay. ;) :)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »

Tuiceman is correct, there are issues with any of the various "flavors" of home automation or remote control.

X10 was  designed in late 70's, early 80's..."eons" before the first switching power supply. Now days switching power supplies are becoming so cheap to produce, many "wall-wart" plug power modules now contain switching power supplies rather than the ubiquitous transformer. Unfortunately the "noise" generated by switching power supplies can mask and swamp X10 signals.

Equally unfortunately,  there is no 5 cent silver bullet.

Have you explored Insteon, or Z-Wave, etc? The newer technology relying more on RF is more resistant to noise, AND more expensive.

If you want to keep your X10, figure on spending a little more money.

You seem to have a handle on what X10 nemesis are (line noise and adequate phase coupling).

1. I would dump the passive phase coupler and get an amplifer coupler. The stronger the X10 signal, the better the noise immunity.
2. Buy an X10 signal meter and use it to survey your home. The signal meter will identify noise sources as readily as X10 signal levels.
3. Buy or make filters for only the most noisy offenders (suspect any big screen TVs less than 15 years old, VCRS, DVDs, cell phone chargers, and any wall wart that is so light in weight it makes you think it is empty - switching power supplies are much lighter than the old transformer supplies, so any electronic gear that "feels light").

I have a techno geek home loaded with switching power supplies AND X10 (100+ modules and I just ordered more). Sure there are times I or the home automation system sends commands that do not get through but X10 offers too many ad vatages to ignore.

In the 1980' my wife was frustrated with X10 also and wanted to "put it all in the closet" because of undependability....until I blew up my old home controller and had to order parts. for two weeks nothing took place automatically, we had to actually go to the switch to turn on lights, we had to roam the house every night to turn out lights before going to bed, we came home to a hot house (Florida) and a dark house, etc. etc. etc. Exactly two weeks into the three week wait for parts my wife asked me "when in the H are you getting those parts so we can get back to normal ?!" ....have not heard a negative peep since.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

djm3801

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »

Thanks for responses. Again, not a cynic, and X10 is the best bang for the buck, no question. part of the issues with X10 is a lack of desire to deal with a MINOR learning curve on the part of some familty members, and the other is the old 'I push the button and nothing happens". I think in the last response, the suggestion of a different phase coupler is a good one. I may as well berak down and buy the meter to see what's happening in the way of noise on the lines. My main issue is that I balked at installing the security system due to the low relaibility and increasing complaints on the lighting management products.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan M.

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »

I don't use my security system atm because I have a monitored system by securetek.

But, I did test out the X10 security system to make sure it would work. It works off different frequencies then the X10 modules and uses a more secure taught in codes then X10s HC/UC setup. Only thing to maybe watch for is distance (which is greater then the 310Mhz that X10 modules use) shouldn't be any problems. I have never had a false alarm go off. I also have a ton of wireless products in my home that didn't seem to interfere with the X10 security system.
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.