Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: noise  (Read 33994 times)

bbcbr9

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
noise
« on: April 23, 2006, 05:32:35 PM »

Ive had plug n power from radio shack for many years and got turned on by "AHP"  my whole house is automated.everything was working great, started to  use timers and macros things started to have a mind of their own. come to find out that "a new salt water aquarium with special lighting to grow coral " has made a lot of noise interference and Ive lost control of 1/2 the house. research has led me to "Plug-in Noise Filter - XPPF" WILL THIS WORK and will i be able to still use a x.10 module to control the lighting system in tank ???

also looking into the "1/2 the house thing " and was wondering about the "4816A2 SIGNALINC PLUG-IN PHASE COUPLER (FOR 4-WIRE 220V DRYERS " will this solve my  problem, mind you everything was working fine untill the  " aquarium "

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: noise
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »

If you connect the light to the filter and the filter to the switched outlet on the module. It should help. You using a appliance module for this? A dimming one may have a problem with that type of light.
I have the three prong version of that coupler and it helped. It has a tuned circuit in it to pass mostly X10 band signals. It couples the same signal it receives back to the  other phase. Meaning if your 5V PP signal is 1V PP at the dryer outlet. 1V PP is coupled back to the other line. I exchanged mine for a 4826B repeater/coupler. It rebroadcasts at 5 V PP back to the other phase. Since you are working OK till the new light. A coupler only maybe all you need.

bbcbr9

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 06:38:25 PM »

doing more research Ive unplugged the tank lighting and got back control of the room in question but still having problems with some outside lighting have not tried to hook up aquarium to x10 yet  dont want to fry my lighting in tank  ??? it is very exspensive and is flouresent aswell, do you think the repeater will help with out side lighting only working when it wants too? thank for the reply  ;D

bbcbr9

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »

also have pblems with hampton bay fan w/light assembly that has its own remote ive managed to get fan on x10 and light, but the light only works some times,  was looking at the "X10 Pro Inline Dimmable Receiver Module" this my solve my problem?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:48:49 PM by bbcbr9 »

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »

bbcbr9:

I have written some turtorials on Phase Coupling and Powerline Noise which you might find interesting.

If it is the aquarium light that is causing you your problems and you want to control the light via X10, plug the light into a noise filter and the noise filter into an appliance module.  As Brian said, don't use a lamp module, but an appliance module is safe to use for fluorescent lights.

also have problems with hampton bay fan w/light assembly that has its own remote I've managed to get fan on x10 and light, but the light only works some times,  was looking at the "X10 Pro In-line Dimmable Receiver Module" this my solve my problem?

What do you mean by the light only works some times?  If the fan/light has its own remote, you might have troubles using X10 with it since the built in remote control circuitry may not remember its previous state when the X10 module turns the power on.

bbcbr9

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »

well once the light is turned on by the "fan remote" it does remember the last state, and can control with via x10 some times.i would say about 80% of the time. thats why i was looking in to the phase coupling? more research on "tank lighting" once un plugged  everything works fine, but fan light assembly only when it wants to, i have put an x10 wall switch in the light can assembly and that works only some times. now going to try that inline receiver module...... i did read up on the "phase coupling & noise " it is very helpfull thank you both for your reply ;D

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »

What model of wall switch are you using?  In the 20% of the time that it doesn't work, what exactly happens? What do you do to turn it on in that case?

bbcbr9

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »

"WS467" well when it doesn't work i just turn on the closet light, Ive also been think that about the last time i did a update on the CM15A do you think that the up dates may not work with some radio shack plug n power products, i have both x10 and plug n power..... i must say everything was working GREAT i really cant pin pont the time of things going wrong . question ? do module go bad over time.  i did how ever perchuse the phase coupling/repeater today and the noise filter for tank light... i will post the out come of all this.

Brian i haven't hooked up any x10 yet on aquarium until last night i didn't know that the tank was giving me all the problems, but doesn't change the fact that the fan light is acting weird once the tank was unplugged it seemed that the fan light was working but not enough time to tell if it is 100% yet , only because i cant leave the tank light off for too long to experiment with it . the way i put the WS467 in-line I'm sure that it should be replaced with a  XPDF in-line maybe ill get a better respones, do you think with the all in one fan and light, would the fan be giving me a noise problem being that it is so close 3 or 4 inch. http://www.nastyss.com/x10.jpg here is a link of pic. THANKS again BRIAN & RODGER
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:09:18 PM by bbcbr9 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 06:44:40 PM »

As far as I know. Radio Shack modules are OEM by X10 and 100% compatible. Good chance you take one apart and see an X10 board as I have seen in the past. Even the Black and Decker Light Modules are X10 except they added a safety fuse to the triac in case you overloaded it.
WS467 on an inductive fan. Asking for trouble. Inductive devices should not be on a dimming module unless specified as OK.
Also the WS467 steals power from the load [2 wires no added neutral wire] so what it is stealing the power from makes a difference.
Is the fan light a standard bulb or a CFL? CFLs also don't work well with any dimming module and X10 says not to use them with a wall switch or lamp module. A relay type may work but most need the added neutral wire in the switch box.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:04:37 AM »

"WS467"

That is your problem.  The WS467 should only be used for incandescent lights.  It shouldn't be used to control a motor or any type of electronic equipment (including the remote control circuitry inside the fan).

bbcbr9

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »

so i should be safe if i use the  X10 XPDF in line module. Ive just received the phase coupler still not getting on leg of out side lighting to work. i have 3 legs of low level lighting using there own power packs, 3 different modules all on the same hose code 2 in the front yard work but not the one in the back yard ??? cant seem to figure this one out they were all working fine.. still waiting for the noise filter and inline for fan light should be here tomorrow.. ;D i will post the out come of all of this.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 06:54:58 AM »

Do NOT use the WS467 with any motors as it can be damaged or unreliable. Filter will not fix a WS467 on a motor!

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 10:01:06 AM »

so i should be safe if i use the  X10 XPDF in line module.

No, the XPDF is also for incandescent lights only.  You need to either use an XPFM or a WS13A.

Ive just received the phase coupler still not getting on leg of out side lighting to work. i have 3 legs of low level lighting using there own power packs, 3 different modules all on the same hose code 2 in the front yard work but not the one in the back yard ???

What type of module are you using for your low voltage lighting?  Dimmable modules (be they plug-in, wall switch or in-line) should only be used for incandescent lights.  Any other type of load should use some type of non-dimmable (appliance) module.  The only exception to this rule is the XPDI3 which can be used with certain types of inductive or resistive loads, but even then you need to be careful.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 04:12:27 PM »

OH yes reread your post. XPDF is for standard lights only as it also dims. No motors or low voltage lights should be used.

bbcbr9

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »

Do NOT use the WS467 with any motors as it can be damaged or unreliable. Filter will not fix a WS467 on a motor!
filter is for the aquarium" lighting " the light is back fedding noise into line and that is why my bed room lights have a mind of there own.....
when the tank light is unplugged everything is fine.. aquarium is NOT on any x.10 trying to work out the bugs with noise before i hook up tank to x10
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.