Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help my kid is bypassing the x10  (Read 59513 times)

southmike

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
help my kid is bypassing the x10
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »

I installed several hardwired x10 receptacles and a central controller.
they control the TV, computer and radio.
when bedtime comes I turn off the modules.

but now my kid has figured out a way around this .
 if you turn off the switch on the surge bar and turn it back on,
 or unplug and replug the the cord in the outlet the x10 resets, and power is restored...

do all x10 modules do this? if not what brand does not and where can I find them...
any other ideas.......thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:18:03 PM by southmike »

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: help my kid is bypassing the x10
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:14:07 AM »

Kids these days are just too smart!  The feature he is taking advantage of is called local control and to the best of my knowledge all brands of x10 receptacles have this feature.  I have seen articles on disabling it on plug-in appliance modules, but have never seen one for the wall receptacles.  If you are technically savvy, you might be able to figure out how to do it though.  For more information check out Defeating local current sensing.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:51:37 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »

southmike:
Local load sensing can be disabled without hardware modification on many of the Smarthome appliance modules, e.g., http://www.smarthome.com/2002SHL.HTML

I doubt this will stop your kid for very long, but the technical challenge may be a good thing for him in the long run. :-)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:02:18 AM »

Local load sensing can be disabled without hardware modification on many of the Smarthome appliance modules, e.g., http://www.smarthome.com/2002SHL.HTML

That is true, but unfortunately Smarthome doesn't make wall receptacle modules and it would be easy for him to unplug a plug-in module and plug the TV directly into the wall.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »

Not sure what your using for a central control. But if it is somthing that can be programed like the CM15A (AHP) you could make a macro which sends the off command every (time interval you choose) and for how ever long you choose (allnight long?)  kids will soon get frustrated having  do there work arround every 5-10 mins and give up.
As roger1818 stated
Kids these days are just too smart!
If they realy want to they'll find a way around most anything! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »

Not sure what your using for a central control. But if it is somthing that can be programed like the CM15A (AHP) you could make a macro which sends the off command every (time interval you choose) and for how ever long you choose (allnight long?)  kids will soon get frustrated having  do there work arround every 5-10 mins and give up.

That is a great idea.  You could even have the macro run every minute or even more frequently if he wanted.

Alternately he could connect a switch to a POWERFLASH Burglar Alarm Interface (PF284) in Mode 2 and keep it beside his bed.  When switched on it would send an AllUnitsOff command approximately every 2 seconds (interspersed with AllLightsOn commands).  He would have to make sure there weren't any other modules on the same housecode (especially lamp or wall switch modules) and when it is switched on, the powerline would be flooded with X10 commands, preventing much else from working, but it would make it impossible for his son to watch TV. ;)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:30:53 PM »

You haven't told us how old your son is. It sounds like it's time to tell him the reason the X10 timers were set was to remind him of the times he was not to use those controled items. AHP will let you program an almost an endless number of OFF comands but short of putting a lock box around the X10 box he can still unplug the item and plug it in directly.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

southmike

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »

thanks for the replies...

he is  a stubborn 14 year old ..who got grounded for bad grades.

of course he had to show the younger kids how to get around it...
so far he just figured out  the surge bar trick but the plugs are comming...
unfortunately the only thing i have is a basic alarm clock type controller i picked up on ebay.

what other controllers would you recommend?
like which ones can send off commands every few minutes.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:42:10 PM »

A CM15A would have enough memory to do that, but I think you're doomed to lose the battle with your approach.  A 14 year-old kid with any smarts can rapidly educate himself via the Web about X10 and outwit you.  Take the advice offered by steve r.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »

...he is  a stubborn 14 year old ..who got grounded for bad grades....
Is the TV in his room? If so it might be time to remove it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 01:27:34 AM »

The question was brought up in another thread about whether the X10 SR227 Controlled Receptacle has local control - the prevailing opinion was that it did NOT.  I just tried one myself, and can say that turning on the switch of a 200 Watt lamp didn't result in the receptacle turning on, although I can't state that a heavier load like PC and TV wouldn't do it.   What's the manufacturer and model of your X10 receptacle?

The problem with this receptacle insofar as your situation is concerned is that only the upper socket is controlled - the lower socket is unswitched and always On.   (I suppose you could fill the holes of the lower socket with epoxy glue.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »

The question was brought up in another thread about whether the X10 SR227 Controlled Receptacle has local control - the prevailing opinion was that it did NOT.  I just tried one myself, and can say that turning on the switch of a 200 Watt lamp didn't result in the receptacle turning on, although I can't state that a heavier load like PC and TV wouldn't do it.

Judging by the method his son uses to turn the TV back on, it sounds like it does have local control.

The problem with this receptacle insofar as your situation is concerned is that only the upper socket is controlled - the lower socket is unswitched and always On.

I just checked and the Leviton 6280 switches both sockets and doesn't have local control so that might be a good solution.  It also has a feedthrough wire which lets other outlets be controlled by this module so if all outlets in the room are on one breaker and are daisy chained together, you could install it in one location and have it turn off all outlets in the room.

You can get it from SmartHome for $26.99.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 11:59:51 AM »

THE NUCLEAR OPTION:
1. Give your son a battery powered alarm clock.
2. Find key for the lock on the circuit breaker box door (this would be the green moldy key Cutler Hammer key at the back of your work bench bottom drawer...the one you didn't have a clue what it was for, until now).
3. At the prescribed time; kill the breaker to your son's room.
4. Lock breaker box door.
5. Unlock box and reset breaker before going to work next morning.
6. Keep the key with you...your son is smart enough to figure out how you are doing this.
;-)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 04:32:18 PM »

You could always wire a standard outlet receptacle to an XPFM. The XPFM does not have local control; it can only be turned on or off by an X10 command.

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 05:39:25 AM »

How bout just catching him EVERY Time he uses an X10 connection??

with the ActiveHome Pro software and CM15A interface you could program several off commands as stated above.

But, you could also monitor the plugs and lights (X10 controlled), when they are active (turned on) you can have a macro warn you by either turning your light on or by a sound module (however you choose) to let you know that his TV or light has been turned on.

might wake you up at night, but he will think you have ESP knowing every time hes using something he shouldn't. even after he checked to make sure you were sleeping, you still knew?? :)
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.