Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use of compact florescent bulbs  (Read 28925 times)

REM

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Use of compact florescent bulbs
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

Based on further experimenting with my new system,  I have additional newbie questions I hope someone might be able to address.  I’m using the ActiveHome Pro CM15A software with two WS12A dimmer switches and two LM465 lamp modules that I purchased from X10.com.  Some of the lamps I’m attempting to control have incandescent bulbs, some compact florescent bulbs.  Every thing works fine (on/off control, timers, dimming, etc.) with the lamps with the incandescent bulbs.  The lamps with the florescent fixtures only seem to respond to the on/off commands.  I also seem to be getting a buzzing noise in the wall mounted dimmer switches when the florescent fixtures are on. 

I’ve seen components on the X-10 site for uses with florescent fixtures but thought they were for traditional florescent fixtures with separate ballast.  Am I correct to assume it really means any fixture that has a florescent bulb needs these florescent components? 

All thoughts appreciated!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Use of compact florescent bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »

The only X10 module you can use non-dimming CFL's is the LM15A    Socket Rocket Screw-In Lamp Module.  Ordinary lamp and applicance modules cannot be used with any CFL because of the "trickle current" in them.  The LM15A does not dim amd has no code wheels, it's address is set from a controller.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

REM

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:03:18 PM »

Thanks Dan.   Since I'm using the system in a vacation home, I was hoping to be able to use these energy saving type bulbs......at least half the plan is working!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 07:12:12 AM »

Appliance modules can be used for CF Ls also. The problem with some CF Ls is the appliance module has the local sensing circuit in it. Some installs will turn back on when switched off. There are hacks to fix this as I have done some myself. The LM15a socket rocket has worked well for many alsoeven though it has a triac type switching device that normally doesn't like CFLs. I have an LM15a and CFL combo myself.

LarCrowl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »

After reading this message I attempted to use my LM15A socket rocket with a CFL.  It programed OK but when the light came on it flickered badly.  I tried it several times and got the same result.   I tried another rocket with the same CFL bulb and it didn't flicker although it came on went off and then came on and stayed on.   At first I asssumed that the first LM15A was faulty s;though it works OK with an incandescent bulb but it brings up more questions.

I was considering buying several more of these rockets but I'm concerned that the flicker problem might raise it's head on more than just one module or that the CFLs might be marginal.

Any thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 04:25:16 PM »

Technically a Socket Rocket should not be used with a CFL. Most do work ok as it does not dim. Some brand of CFLs may work better then others.
One of mine made all kinds of powerline noise with a CFL while another didn't.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »

LarCrowl As Brian stated "some CFLs work better then others"
Try a couple different brands! Test them with appliance modules as well as the socket rockets. I have no problems using them with either .
I have two brands in use now neither causes any problems
One is Nova (Canadian tire carries them here)
The other is from Costco but I don't have one handy to see the brand name ;) :D
I beleive there is a post on here which users have posted brand names that work If you do an "Advanced Search" for CFLs you may turn it up! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »

Here in the U.S. I use all Phillips CFL's  with Socket Rockets and have had no problems or flickering at all. The only thing I found with mine is it takes a couple of minutes to warm up to full brightness.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »

I added the first draft of a tutorial on compact fluorescent lights to my troubleshooting series:

Any questions or feedback would be appreciated.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:24:38 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:20:42 PM »

Nice piece Jeff! Thank you for sharing your time, experience and expertise here.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »

Looks good with plenty of data. Nice work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.