Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old CM15A?  (Read 12599 times)

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Old CM15A?
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »

Been doing this since AHP first came out--had first interface swapped out about a year or more ago, but not sure this is the latest version either (at times the system decides to go crazy). Have all the line filters, phase coupler, etc., but thinking line noise is still affecting this unit (not consistent). Sticker says "05C10."

If this is the latest, where do I get specifics on adding internal caps and has that fix worked?

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Old CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »

05C10 is new, or new enough. If you think line noise is affecting the interface, your best bet is to find and isolate the noise. When the system goes "crazy" what happens?

Bill H

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »

Tnx, for the reply X1-10.

"Crazy" means just about anything at anytime. I'll touch a remote to turn on a light, for example, and the drapes might open. But both the light and drapes will work properly for weeks prior to the error--and nothing has changed. The offending command sometimes shows up in the Activity Monitor, sometimes not.

The only partial consistency to the problem (but not all the time) is that the error often appears on the same house code as the unit I'm trying to activate. (I'm using 10 housecodes--lots of units, sensors, and cameras.) But the Activity Monitor does not show them being selected together--each is a separate command if I see it at all.

This is why I was considering the interface due to the inconsistency.

X10 Pro

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »

Do you use only the CM15A as your transceiver, or do you have other transceivers? An X10 security system is also a transceiver, in case you have one.

Bill H

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »

Yes. I'm using a Smarthome transceiver (sorry) to get the distance I needed and the transceiver section of the CM15 is turned off.

X10 Pro

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 02:28:05 PM »

Are the drapes (using your example) and the lights operated directly using the remote, or do they run through an ActiveHome macro? If  the drapes and lights respond to the remote commands (through the transceiver) directly, it doesn't seem likely that the CM15A is the source of the problem since it's not really doing anything related to the problem. Maybe occassional noise? Or maybe the Smarthome transceiver runs into a problem where it's putting out a partial signal or something?

Bill H

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »

In this example, the drapes are running thru a macro and the trigger is from an HR12 remote. But I have a closet light that's triggered ON directly via a sensor; then a macro turns it off after a few minutes (this way I can vary the off time more easily than getting to the sensor to vary the top control). This closet light loves to come on randomly (the light and sensor are in an enclosed room). Other lights/appliances around the house do the same and all are in some way run via a macro.

The queresome part is that generally everything runs smoothly, so I believe the macros are constructed correctly (and many, as in this closet light example, are very simple). In extreme cases, all macros stop running completely (the Activity Monitor sees the triggers but nothing is run) and I have to reload the programming file (not AHP) or merely start up AHP to make it run once more. (I don't usually have to download to the interface.) AHP is seldom running actively on the computer, but the computer is on 24/7.)

Bill H

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »

X-10:
A potential noise problem is a good point and the reason why I suspected the CM15. (The first units, I believe, were susceptible to noise and other probelms and that's why I questioned the date of my box.)

If it is noise, I don't see how the transceiver could be creating the correct commands--it would create, I believe, totally random codes. Remember that the glitches are of real house and unit codes that I use--not house/unit codes that are not in use. And the glitches -- like the closet light -- are a repeatable problem. The transceiver wouldn't know the good codes; only the CM15 would since it contains the downloaded programming.

Just a thought....

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 11:21:06 PM »

Yes. I'm using a Smarthome transceiver (sorry) to get the distance I needed and the transceiver section of the CM15 is turned off.

Say Bill how do you turn off the transceiver section off on the CM15A is this done through software? Thanks

Tcj

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:00:19 AM »

how do you turn off the transceiver section off on the CM15A is this done through software?

In AHP open the configuration menu and make sure that none of the boxes under transceived house code are checked.
 :) :) :)
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Bill H

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:41:59 PM »

Right. Under Hardware Configuration, look for "Transceived House Codes" and select "None." That will turn the RF section off on the CM15.

The SmartHome receiver defaults to all house codes, but can be changed to only certain ones via a cpu connection (which I have not done since I want all codes used). I have it in the center of my home; it comes with an external, mountable antenna and RF results are great--I can run my home using a remote control from across the street in my neighbor's house.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 02:46:56 PM »

I can run my home using a remote control from across the street in my neighbor's house.

Lets just hope your neighbour doesn't decide to start using X10. ;)

Bill H

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 05:48:08 PM »

Roger-
That's one of my nightmares!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:14:01 PM »

"Right. Under Hardware Configuration, look for "Transceived House Codes" and select "None." That will turn the RF section off on the CM15
The SmartHome receiver defaults to all house codes, but can be changed to only certain ones via a cpu connection (which I have not done since I want all codes used). I have it in the center of my home; it comes with an external, mountable antenna and RF results are great--I can run my home using a remote control from across the street in my neighbor's house."

WOW Thanks guys I didn't know you could do that, I bought the system a while back but haven't hooked it up yet. I always thought you should be able to do something like that but just didn't think x10 would be up on it. Well x10 I apologize  ;D now if they could just get the range problem fixed I figure I only have maybe 15 or 20 feet with a AAAA Palm Pad.  >:(      Thanks!

Tcj

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »

...Lets just hope your neighbour doesn't decide to start using X10. ;)
I lived in an apartment complex once and plugged in Christmas lights with an X10 box into an outlet outside near my door that used the apartments companies electricity. I had X10 control of the lights from inside my apartment.

I've always been the "senior geek" wherever I've lived. Never had anyone near me use X10. Of course being a bit paranoid I stayed away from house code A. Currently I have a whole house surge protector so I imagine that kinda puts a moat around my X10 setup.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.