Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [AHP Add-On] X10 software to monitor and power cycle network devices  (Read 57797 times)

larrylart

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi everybody,

I wrote a small tool to monitor (ping) and power cycle any network devices plugged into x10 appliances, if they don’t respond to ping over a given period of time.

The tool, x10ping, is free for download and use. See: http://larryo.org/work/information/x10ping/index.html

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:49:02 AM by Tuicemen »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: X10 software to monitor and power cycle network devices
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »

This looks like a very nice (and useful!) application.
Does it work with the CM15A, or only with the CM11A/CM12A?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:53:58 PM »

I looked it over also and it talked about serial ports so I was wondering also if it would work with the CM15A.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

larrylart

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27:55 PM »

Indeed it only works with cm11a/cm12u over with serial connection.  I could try to add cm15a to it as well if someone is willing to test it? I will be using activehome pro sdk, however I don’t have a cm15a controller so I will do this implementation blindfolded.

Larry

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:02 PM »

If you post a link for a beta version using the Cm15a there are many that will test it out for you. I for one will give it a shot! :) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 09:21:12 AM »

Sign me up for the beta o the CM15A version, as well.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »

Sounds like fun. I'd be willing to give you some feedback. Assuming I figure out how I would use it.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

larrylart

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:36:41 AM »

Hi,

I finally got the time to add control for cm15a/cm19a and other controllers supported by activehome. As I said previously, I don’t have any means to test this implementation (I just added this using the sdk samples and the help). Can you please test this and let me know if this works or not?

Also I have a question with regard to activehome/controller itself. The activehome scripting has two distinct functions to send x10 commands, one over the power lines (the one I used) and the second over the radio link. Now I not sure how to implement this … should add two distinct controllers for radio and powerlines or ? does cm15a has both options or only cm19a has radio ?

There are some other features I added. See bellow.

You can download the new beta version from here http://larryo.org/work/information/x10ping/x10ping_setup_v1102beta.exe

Regards,
Larry

---

Added futures in x10ping v1.102 beta:

-   run on widows start-up.  To enable/disable this function do File->Config, then select Runtime tab. The x10ping will start after login (this is not a run as a service functionality)
-   Added the possibility to set house code as well. This is available every time you add edit a device.
-   Add two new controllers JDS Stargate TimeCommander/TimeCommander-Plus and cm15a/cm19a/vt37a with activehome support. All will these have to be tested to be released from beta.
-   Some minor bug fixes.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »

Also I have a question with regard to activehome/controller itself. The activehome scripting has two distinct functions to send x10 commands, one over the power lines (the one I used) and the second over the radio link. Now I not sure how to implement this … should add two distinct controllers for radio and powerlines or ? does cm15a has both options or only cm19a has radio ?

As you suggested the CM15a can transmit both powerline and RF commands, but the CM19a can only transmit RF commands.  You have to be careful though since the CM15A doesn't transceive its own RF commands so if you use it to transmit RF commands you have to have an external transceiver.  Your best bet would probably allow the user to select whether they want to transmit powerline or RF commands.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:08:37 PM »

larrylart  found a couple of problems:
[li] In the x10 housecode id combobox you have all the housecodes listed but g&h are together making it imposible to use those two codes.[/li]
[li] If it finds an ip Down it sends the plc off  for that device(why?) This will cause problems! if you send the on command as it is pinging that device it still sees it as off then sends the off command canceling out your on command.[/li]
The pinging of the IP addresses works fine and correct! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »

I've read this entire thread, I have one question.

What "network deviices" would you want AHP to control?  Seems to me that this is a program in search of a real use.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »

I can Use it to check the Pc in the basement My son uses. If it is on I can shut it down (maybe if enough of his data gets corrupt he'll learn!)  ;)
It can also be used to turn off the router so you can limit   he internet usage.
just a couple of things I thought of ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

larrylart

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 05:14:55 PM »

Thanks Tuiceman! So the actual x10 with cm15a functionality works ? This one I feared most since I wasn’t able to test it myself.

I released another version: http://larryo.org/work/information/x10ping/x10ping_setup_v1103beta.exe

Where, I fixed house codes bug and I also added extra functionality under the add/edit device buttons.

The behaviour on power cycle is to: first turn of the power the device and then turned back on.  Now I extended this so you only turn on or off the device if you want. Or reverse the logic and take action if the device is on.

I wrote this because in time I always had problems with either dls modem or wifi routers – they will just hang and wont do anything unless you powercycle(turn off then on) them. Sometime getting the latest update and flash the device will work … someother times nothing will work. So, wrote this little tool to watch over and powercycle the thing whenever it gets stuck. Same thing could apply  to a pc/server or a hub/switch.
And sure there could be other uses as well … if fact what the tool does is connecting the state of a computer network with x10 control.

Thanks Roger for the advice. I added these controllers by send type do the user can choose.

Please let me know if the x10 functionality with cm15a/19a works. Also if you find any bugs or futures, which might help, I will gladly implement them.

Larry

larrylart

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »

Anyone got the time to try this out ? Does it work or not with cm15a/cm19a ?  ???
I just want to release a stable version and I need to know if it works with these.

Thanks,
Larry

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 01:21:52 PM »

It works with the CM15A!
An option to do nothing or send an on command  if found down  would be nice instead of sending the off command would be a nice add!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.