Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some lights work, others don't  (Read 13525 times)

benjihall

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Some lights work, others don't
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »

I have both WS12A and WS14A.  I have set them all on unique house and unit codes.  Some are working with the software and others aren't.  There seems to be no pattern.  Any suggestions? ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Some lights work, others don't
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 07:08:21 AM »

Could be a phase problem. Most homes are wired split phase. Signals on one phase where the controller is connected have problems getting to the other phase. if you have an electric dryer try turning it on and see if things get better. If so a coupler or repeater will be needed. Another problem could be powerline noise. try unplugging things like TVs Stereos computers and see if things get better. Is the cm15a AHP Interface connected to the same outlet as the computer? That could be a problem as it maybe sucking up the signals and they re weaker and can't reach some of the switches. Standare bulbs on the switches? CFLs and dimming switches don't get along.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »

Check out Modules Work in Some Locations but not Others.  There are some links on that page which provide more information.

benjihall

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I got a lot more of the lights to work after switching the outlet to a different one than the computer but a number of lights still don't work.  1 of them is flourescent so I figure that is the problem there.  The others all work fine w/ the wall switch and other lights on the same breaker are working.  I am at a loss as to how to figure this out.

Another and much bigger problem is that some of the lights are turning on/off at random.  I just changed the settings for all of the lights and it made this happen more frequently.  I have so many electronics in my house it could be almost impossible to determine what is causing this.  Are wireless router's usually to blame?  Am I forced to keep switching the frequency until the ghosting stops?

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I got a lot more of the lights to work after switching the outlet to a different one than the computer but a number of lights still don't work.  1 of them is fluorescent so I figure that is the problem there. 

You can't use a dimming wall switch with a fluorescent light (see Fluorescent Lights).

The others all work fine w/ the wall switch and other lights on the same breaker are working.  I am at a loss as to how to figure this out.

If you don't have a phase coupler, I would highly recommend you get one.  Check out a tutorial I wrote on Phase Coupling.

Another and much bigger problem is that some of the lights are turning on/off at random.  I just changed the settings for all of the lights and it made this happen more frequently.

This one is a bit more of a puzzle.  Do any of your neighbours use X10?  What type of module(s) seem to be turning on/off at random?

I have so many electronics in my house it could be almost impossible to determine what is causing this.  Are wireless router's usually to blame? 

No.  Wireless routers use a different frequency and shouldn't cause any problems.

Am I forced to keep switching the frequency until the ghosting stops?

Switching house codes probably won't fix anything unless a neighbour happens to be using X10.

benjihall

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:05:52 PM »

I'll check out getting a phase coupler.

No one in my building has any X10 devises.  Since I live in the city could it be possible that nearby buildings (remotes) are affecting mine?  The WS12A model seems to go on/off at random more than the WS14A but it is not entirely related to them.  The one thing I noticed when I recently switched codes was that lights that were once a problem now seem fine and lights that were fine now are a problem.  Could leapfrog transmitters be a problem?

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:24:59 AM »

Is it the same lights that randomly turn on and off?  If it is certain modules turning on and off, try moving that module to an outlet that is on a circuit that is functioning normally. If after moving the module and it stops turning on and off at random, you can move it back to the original location, but will have to add noise filters, or move a piece of electronic equipment to a different location.  If running a lot electrical equipment as you noted, some devices can radiate a signal (which mimics the X-10 controls), and confuse the module into turning on and off.  The only way to combat this is to add noise filters.

billy

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »

benjihall,

Do you have any motion sensors in your setup? Motion sensors use 2 unit codes UC=X for motion & UC=X+1 for Dusk/Dawn (Dark/Light)
Multiple Transceivers can cause problems.
What X10 equipment do you have installed?
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."  Albert Camus

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.