Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's Happening? It Just stops working  (Read 10920 times)

mlumb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What's Happening? It Just stops working
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »

I just received an AHP starter kit for my birthday.  The first major task I tried was to install 2 XPDF inline dimmer relays on 2 wall sconces.  They worked flawlessly for several days.  Now 1 of them still works perfectly, but the other will turn on, or turn on and dim, but after that I can't get it to respond to anything for several hours.  It won't turn off with a remote, OR from the AHP software.  However when I get up in the morning I can turn it off with no problem.  I have also tried  shutting off the breaker and back on and after that the light won't turn ON for several hours instead.  Just the past day or so, it won't turn on at all.  Yesterday I checked the lightbulb unscrewed it and when I put it back in the light turned on, but now won't turn off.  Any Ideas?

My other problem is with a socket rocket screw in lamp module and I think may have started at the same time as the inline module problem.  I installed the socket rocket on a porch light with a Dusk/Dawn timer setup.  It worked flawlessly for about a week and now it won't turn on at all.  I tried it in other lights and still nothing.  The unit is only a week old I can't believe it is dead.  Any ideas?

I am using a CM15a with all of the commands stored in the unit if that helps.

Thank you for your help.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: What's Happening? It Just stops working
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »

What types of light bulbs are you using?  It sounds to me like you have some sort of powerline noise or signal strength issue.  Check out a tutorial I wrote on Powerline Noise.

billy

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."  Albert Camus

mlumb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »

I am using standard incandecent bulbs.  I am not having a problem with ANY of the other lights in my living room and the 4 button wireless switch I have mounted on my wall has NO problem communicating with the CM15a for any other light.  Plus as I mentioned I can't even control the light WITH the CM15a.

jatracy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:59 PM »

What types of light bulbs are you using?  It sounds to me like you have some sort of powerline noise or signal strength issue.  Check out a tutorial I wrote on Powerline Noise.

I second that.

The wireless switches use the RF interface which is completely isolated from the powerline interface. If you want to check the socket rocket, you could move it to the same circuit as the other one (or swap them) to verify that it is still working.

I suspect that something is causing powerline issues. Do you have an electric dryer or stove/oven that is on in the morning when the lights seem to work? If so, then you could have a phase coupling issue? Do you have a PC or TV or other large device on the same circuit as the light that is not working? If so, try unplugging it to see if it is more reliable.

I have only been doing this for about 3 weeks now and the first problem I had was when my daughter's PC was absorbing the X10 signal and her lamp module would not work. I installed a coupler/repeater and now it works great (your mileage may vary).

Good luck and welcome to the party!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:04:17 AM »

I suspect that something is causing powerline issues. Do you have an electric dryer or stove/oven that is on in the morning when the lights seem to work? If so, then you could have a phase coupling issue?

I don't know why I didn't mention Phase Coupling in my previous post (I always suggest it first).  Check out a tutorial I wrote on phase coupling.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.