Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 way devices  (Read 19893 times)

jatracy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
2 way devices
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:04:57 PM »

Do 2 way devices such as the 2876DB ICON Dimmer only respond to status requests or do they periodically send out their status? I think I remember seeing somewhere that the powerline can get swamped if there are too many transmitters. It would take about 30 of these to do my entire house and I do not want slow the powerline interface down much more than it already is.

Is X10 really feasible to use in the entire house or is it really just best for small installations?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: 2 way devices
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:14:52 PM »

Is X10 really feasible to use in the entire house or is it really just best for small installations?

X10 can be used for the entire house. In my house, every room except the kitchen is on X10. The kitchen lights will go on X10 as soon as I can install a double gang box for an outlet and a wall switch to control the ceiling light and an interal  module to control the sink's cabinet light.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »

The switch you mentioned; with a Primary X10 Address Set; as well as X10s two way units. Only send a status when a Status Request is sent to the address it is on or when it is changed locally. Remember each two way device may need a unique address as a status request on lets say B1 and two modules are on B1 both would try and answer back.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:36:14 PM »

Do 2 way devices such as the 2876DB ICON Dimmer only respond to status requests or do they periodically send out their status?

They only transmit to report a change in status and when the status is requested.  Otherwise they remain quiet. 

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the powerline can get swamped if there are too many transmitters.

What I think you are thinking of is the loading of the powerline.  Each transmitter tends to reduce the overall signal strength (especially on that circuit).  As a result some vendors set a maximum number of transmitters they reccomend you put on each circuit.

It would take about 30 of these to do my entire house and I do not want slow the powerline interface down much more than it already is.

It depends on a number of factors like how many of these switches will be on each circuit and how strong your signal is to begin with.  The nice thing about INSTEON switches is that the INSTEON signal is much faster and it tends to get stronger with each switch you add so you can gradually migrate to the new technology while still taking advantage of your existing X10 devices.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:19:18 PM »

Few more thoughts. The 2876DB as with all Insteon devices. Does not repeat X10 signals just Insteon ones. Also it needs a Neutral Power Wire in the Switch box in addition to the line and load wires. In my mixture of brands. My X10 Repeater is still in use for phase coupling.

jatracy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:22:07 AM »

Does AHP support Insteon?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:40:39 PM »

NO control of Insteon. Different protocol.
Insteon stuff can be assigned an X10 Primary Address. A module on an X10 address of any brand should respond to the address you assign it in AHP. You may have to pick an equivalent X10 module model in AHP. One thing I am not too sure of. The modules you where looking at in X10 Mode do not send the same type Dim Command. It sends a preset dim % not a stream of dims.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.