Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera Reception  (Read 11403 times)

Gymrat

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Camera Reception
« on: May 22, 2006, 04:39:54 PM »

I have had wireless cameras for about 6 mos. now and no matter what I do, they just get lousy reception unless they are 5 feet away from the receiver. Everything interferes with them from computers to 2.4ghz phones to the power lines themselves. THEY ARE GARBAGE! Don't by them! They should tell you that these problems exist but they don't. It's a scam. How are you supposed to sell this stuff if you can't get it to work in your own house. You will look like an idiot. They are crap!

ZZ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Camera Reception
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 01:29:07 PM »

I have the same problem. I work in IT and this stuff is not rocket science. GARBAGE!
Current Configuration:
* Windows XP Pro
* Active Home Pro Interface CM15A
* 2  Color wireless cameras XX17A
* Iwitness Software
* Myhome Software
* Ninja Pan and Tilt accessory VK74A
* 2 Eagle Eye Motion Sensors MX14A
* USB VGA Adapter VA11A
* Wireless Receiver VR36A

aascom

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 11:43:03 AM »

Well I have to agree with the opinion that this system may be garbage :-. I have the same problem with almost non-existent reception with the cameras only being about 30ft from the receiver. I will be asking X10 for a solution and if there is none as I suspect, I will be trashing the system and placing as many posts on as many related forums as possible to warn other consumers. 
I guess this is a case of caveat emptor and you get what you pay for.

jawaid

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »

For the money, these are pretty good deals. That said, the range for the cameras is not impressive. All my cameras are mounted outdoors. I am keeping the front and the back cameras on separate frequencies and use a video sender to to beam the front yard cameras to the receiver for the back cameras. To avoid interference indoors, I mounted the video receivers outside and run a long RCA cable (60 feet) back to the video-USB interface (VA11A). I am getting pretty clean images this way.

MIKETEK

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »

Same thing happened to me and all the email that x10 support sent me is useless. I brought a new system and when i tried to run multiview on it it either freeze or restart my system. According to x10 I should uninstall which i did and the same thing keep happened again. None of my 5 cameras work good I can only see 1 picture on the multiview and half the time it's in poor quality. I have lost over $700.00 on x10 junk now I am stuck with it.

muffin

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »

After trying without success to get good PC reception with wireless (wireless network interfered, even tho I replaced wireless B with wireless G), then I replaced the monitor, replaced the video card, discarded the cheap RCA cable X10 sent with the system with high-grade RCA cable (giving up on the wireless altogether) and still had weird moving interference on the Sentinel's reception (most obvious at night when it looked like red and green blotches moving across the screen), I wrapped the cable and VA-whatever with heavy-duty aluminum foil from the end of my good cable to the USB connector to the PC.  For the first time since I bought the camera, I have excellent reception.
As an unrelated report, I have what appears to be an optical defect, being a small bright orb in the bottom center of my lens, again, most notable during night vision.

mmathras

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »

It's not pretty, but try this tip.  I taped a 2-ft.x 12-inch length of aluminum foil on the wall behind the receiving antenna....only an inch away..  I then taped a piece of aluminum foil (folded to about 6 inches square to the back of the antenna on my x10 camera.  This effecively enlarged the sending and receiving areas of both components' antennae.  The reception went from unviewable to "slightly scratchy."   Not perfect, but quite an improvement!
Mike Mathras

Valkyr

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »

It's not pretty, but try this tip.  I taped a 2-ft.x 12-inch length of aluminum foil on the wall behind the receiving antenna....only an inch away..  I then taped a piece of aluminum foil (folded to about 6 inches square to the back of the antenna on my x10 camera.  This effecively enlarged the sending and receiving areas of both components' antennae.  The reception went from unviewable to "slightly scratchy."   Not perfect, but quite an improvement!
Anything to improve signal transmission/reception is desirable in my situation. I wonder if placing one of my wife's decorative polished metal platters behind the receiver would work as well? I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Joe V.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:35:25 AM »

I don't remember if I have ever mentioned this on a post or not. But what I have found with my wireless cam reception is.... windows offer considerable less Resistance to the signal transmittion than does walls. So I place both the camera, and receiver near windows when possible.

Hasanyone tried a mod with an antenna like this:  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=XPATCH-8DBI&cat=NET
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:10:38 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.