Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home Pro (USB) vs Active Home (Serial)  (Read 7002 times)

cerkb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Home Pro (USB) vs Active Home (Serial)
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:52:09 PM »

I have the Active Home (Serial Connection) version which I have not tried to install or use.  However, I now am considering doing this but have also been trying to determine if Active Home Pro (USB Connector) is worth upgrading to.  Apparently, I need to purchase the entire Active Home Pro software & USB interface again for $49.99 even though I already have the old version.  Is this the case?  I can't just purchase the USB interface separately and get a free software upgrade?

So, my primary questions is whether it is worth upgrading to the new Active Home Pro (USB Interface) version?  What are the pluses and minuses of this upgrade?  I'm very concerned by all the postings on this message board that seem to indicate the new version is full of bugs and doesn't work.  Is this the case?  How well does this new version work?  Are the bugs related to "basic operation" or more advanced applications?  Essentially, I'm looking to simply be able to turn on inside and outside lights and appliances (e.g., televisions, radios, etc.) at different times of the day and possibly dimming some of the lights in different rooms.  If this works, I'd like to advance to being able to enable some macro operation that would activate certain lights and appliances (e.g., turn on tv) when a motion sensor is activated.   Can these kinds of things be done currently with the Active Home (Serial) or Active Home Pro (USB) in a dependable, stable system without any serious bugs?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Active Home Pro (USB) vs Active Home (Serial)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »

Firstly, what O/S are you currently using? 

Have you ever used Active Home, or is it still siitting in the box?

If you are running Windows 9X, AH and the CM11A serial interface is fine.

If you are running Windows XP, there are known serial comminucations problems, so many XP users have switched to AHP.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

The software for the old serial cm11a and the USB cm15a is completely different and is not interchangeable between either interface.
If you have XP many using the old serial Active Home and cm11a have had issues with the serial connections etc.

cerkb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »

I have never used Active Home, and I do have Windows XP Pro.  So it appears AHP is the only solution.  How "buggy" is it for what I want to do?  Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:57:57 AM »

Most of the problems was with loss of the serial communitarian's or the serial port it was on was not available. Will look at my notes tonight [at work now] and see what tips others have given.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

I have never used Active Home, and I do have Windows XP Pro.  So it appears AHP is the only solution.  How "buggy" is it for what I want to do?  Thanks.

If you don't need things like Smart Macros, IWitness or MyHouse Online, it's fine. 90% of overall problems with AHP reported here are related to one or more of the plug-ins.  If you have a basic X10 system it's fine.  I don't use any of the plug-ins, my AHP is table, timers run as scheduled and I created a simplle macro that turns off the all the house light a keypress of a desktop controller.

If that's all you need, buy it and install it.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »

...So, my primary questions is whether it is worth upgrading to the new Active Home Pro (USB Interface) version?...
I used the old Active Home program with some third party software that blew away the software came with the old hardware and I still wouldn't go back.
Yes, I've found some bugs with AHP. (Murphy and I are old friends.) With any new program there will be bugs particularly when there are increased features. I really think enough bugs have been ironed out to make it workable. - Also I don't think my new motherboard on my desktop even has one of those ancient things call a serial port. I know my laptop doesn't.

Bottom line is you already own the Active Home so try it 1st. Then, if you decide you need more control, upgrade.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:17:39 AM »

Steven,

You forgot about the often reported Com problems in XP when using the CM11A Serial Interface, which is why I suugested it to [cerkb/b].

That's why a lot of AH users switched to AHP, XP would refuse to talk to the CM11A.

If he does and it won't work properly and complains here, you'll know why.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:55:58 AM »

cerkb:
You already have the serial CM11A, why not just install the old ActiveHome software and try it out?  (Be sure to get the most recent revision from the X-10 website.)   The CM11A is capable of doing what you say you want.   While there are reportedly problems with the old software and Win XP, at least  some people are using it without a hitch.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.