Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Timers Slow To Execute  (Read 16155 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Timers Slow To Execute
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »

Hi just setup my Active Home Pro USB interface and I really love the graphics very attractive, some of the nicest I've seen! I do have a few questions about the setup though. One thing I've noticed is that the timers I created lag the time they are suppose execute. For example I set up a timer to turn on a light at 9pm and at 9 o'clock it actually didn't trigger the light until almost 9:01 something like 9 o'clock and 45 seconds, this was the only timer I had scheduled at this time so why the delay? Anyone else notice this? The interface and computer have or appear to have the exact time although I can't see the seconds on the interface. The old Active Home used to have a synchronize command but I can't find it if it has one in the Pro version. I'm also trying to get a response to why the security option is grayed out if you choose the dust/dawn option I'm sure you could use security in combination with dust/dawn in the old Active Home version. Thanks

Tcj

tom j

Re: Timers Slow To Execute
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:18:46 PM »

Now I've noticed one of my timer is  5 minutes late. For example I have a timer for 9pm and is not executed until 9:05  >:( would this more then likely a hardware or software problem. Thanks

Tcj

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »

When AHP sets the CM15A clock it always sets it to the whole minute, disregarding the seconds.  E.g., if the actual time is
8:30:45 the clock will be set to 8:30:00.  So your downloaded timers can execute as much as 59 seconds late.

After downloading your timers, if you wait until your PC clock just rolls over to the next minute and then click Tools > Hardware configuration, then click Cancel, you can set the CM15A clock to within a second or two of the actual PC time.

I can't account for your timer running 5 minutes late.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

tom j

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:45:50 PM »

When AHP sets the CM15A clock it always sets it to the whole minute, disregarding the seconds.  E.g., if the actual time is
8:30:45 the clock will be set to 8:30:00.  So your downloaded timers can execute as much as 59 seconds late.

After downloading your timers, if you wait until your PC clock just rolls over to the next minute and then click Tools > Hardware configuration, then click Cancel, you can set the CM15A clock to within a second or two of the actual PC time.

I can't account for your timer running 5 minutes late.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even get that explanation from support you know what they need is a synchronize with computer feature like on the old Activehome. Say most of my timers execute within a few seconds but seems like I saw one that was 5 minutes late, will check it tonight. Also maybe you could answer this question why can't you use the security option with the dust/dawn feature. You've been a tremendous help!

Tcj

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 03:38:26 PM »

The first few releases of AHP set the CM15A clock to the second.  This was changed to the current behavior in later releases, I suspect because it worked around some bug in at least the early CM15A firmware.  (X10Pro has stated there will be no going back to the earlier behavior.)

I don't remember if the earlier releases of AHP allowed you to select the Security mode for Dawn/Dusk timers.  If so and it's been changed, it would possibly be for a similar reason.  You may have noticed however that the maximum offset from Dawn/Dusk in a timer is limited to only 1 hour in AHP.  An additional time variation in Security mode could push the total offset past 1 hour and be incompatible with whatever scheme is used in the CM15A firmware for dealing with offsets.  But this is just a guess on my part.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 08:16:48 PM »

The first few releases of AHP set the CM15A clock to the second.  This was changed to the current behavior in later releases, I suspect because it worked around some bug in at least the early CM15A firmware.  (X10Pro has stated there will be no going back to the earlier behavior.)

I don't remember if the earlier releases of AHP allowed you to select the Security mode for Dawn/Dusk timers.  If so and it's been changed, it would possibly be for a similar reason.  You may have noticed however that the maximum offset from Dawn/Dusk in a timer is limited to only 1 hour in AHP.  An additional time variation in Security mode could push the total offset past 1 hour and be incompatible with whatever scheme is used in the CM15A firmware for dealing with offsets.  But this is just a guess on my part.

So they never offered any reason for not sequencing it to the second? Say please check back I want to tell you how everything came out. Say let me make sure I got it right just open up the hardware configurator and I've now noticed at the bottom of the AHP that the time is displayed in minutes and seconds is this my computers time or the time of the interface? What I did though because I wasen't sure is to bring up my "time & properties" display and when the time reached xx:59 I click on cancel right? Really can't think you enough. Really surprising that support isn't up on this stuff.

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 09:20:26 PM »

Hi update well somethings wrong all my timers are exactly three minutes late for example I had one for 9:05 didn't kick in until 9:08. All of them are three minutes and a few seconds off. What do you think is the problem and do yours execute within a few seconds of the programed time. Really like this thing but with x10 there's always something!!!! I'm not a brasher I've spent more money with them then I'm willing to tell my wife, but it's things like this that make their stuff so frustrating. Thanks

Tcj

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:06:04 PM »

My timers execuite when they are supposed to. For example, most of my house lights have timers that turn them off at 1:00 AM every day. At 1:00 AM, every light but 2 (on later timers) the house goes dark. This timer is on modules on three housecodes and always executes properly.

Check all your timers, the time setting is very easy to wind up with the wrong time by accident.  Before you close the timer setup, make sure all the on/off, dusk/dawn settings are what you intend before saving them and uploading to the interface.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:05:01 PM »

tomj,
I have been assuming that you are downloading your schedule to the CM15A memory by clicking on Tools > Download timers and macros.  Let me know if that's not the situation.  If so, what I've already said and say below may not be accurate.

Downlaoded timers should execute within a second or two of the programmed time _if_ you have synchronized the CM15A clock as I described.  The clock you see flashing the seconds in the bar at the bottom of the AHP window is the computer time and should match exactly what you see in the Windows clock properties window.

Click on Tools in the AHP menu bar, then wait until the seconds roll over to :00 before clicking on the Hardware configuration menu item.  If you click fast enough when the system clock shows :59 you'll probably be 59 seconds off.

Verify that you haven't programmed a delay of 3 minutes in your timers.  Then try this: Re-synchronize the clock just a few minutes before the first timer of the day is programmed to execute.  (Do not re-download your schedule.)  Then record the times when the first and subsequent timers actually execute.  If the first timer is pretty close but subsequent timers are off by minutes, then I would suspect a defective clock in the CM15A.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 02:36:07 AM »

tomj,
I have been assuming that you are downloading your schedule to the CM15A memory by clicking on Tools > Download timers and macros.  Let me know if that's not the situation.  If so, what I've already said and say below may not be accurate.

Downlaoded timers should execute within a second or two of the programmed time _if_ you have synchronized the CM15A clock as I described.  The clock you see flashing the seconds in the bar at the bottom of the AHP window is the computer time and should match exactly what you see in the Windows clock properties window.

Click on Tools in the AHP menu bar, then wait until the seconds roll over to :00 before clicking on the Hardware configuration menu item.  If you click fast enough when the system clock shows :59 you'll probably be 59 seconds off.

Verify that you haven't programmed a delay of 3 minutes in your timers.  Then try this: Re-synchronize the clock just a few minutes before the first timer of the day is programmed to execute.  (Do not re-download your schedule.)  Then record the times when the first and subsequent timers actually execute.  If the first timer is pretty close but subsequent timers are off by minutes, then I would suspect a defective clock in the CM15A.

Well I really can't figure this one. I didn't touch anything and now instead of three minutes they are all just 45 seconds off, go figure? Let me check all my timers just have 5 right now just to see if they are all off by 45 seconds the last three were, so I'll have to wait until this evening to check the other two, if I find some are off by minutes I'll try what you suggested. I actually bought two of these interfaces one was defective and causing a tremendous amount of interference so much so that my DS7000 alarm system woundn't arm! so when I get the new one I can check to see if there any diffence there to. Thanks so much for the help and thanks Dan for your help as well.

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 03:06:40 AM »

My timers execuite when they are supposed to. For example, most of my house lights have timers that turn them off at 1:00 AM every day. At 1:00 AM, every light but 2 (on later timers) the house goes dark. This timer is on modules on three housecodes and always executes properly.

Check all your timers, the time setting is very easy to wind up with the wrong time by accident.  Before you close the timer setup, make sure all the on/off, dusk/dawn settings are what you intend before saving them and uploading to the interface.

Are they perfectly synchronized with your computers clock or off by up to a minute? For example are your 1:00 am timers executed exactly at 1:00 am? Thanks

Tcj

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 01:34:44 PM »

Yes, every day of the week.

When 1:00 AM arrives, all the house lights on 3 housecodes turn off.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

tom j

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »

Yes, every day of the week.

When 1:00 AM arrives, all the house lights on 3 housecodes turn off.

Hi Dan did you have to do anything special? like what I'm trying to do or did it just synchronize automatically. Thanks

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »

Say Charles seems like there's a problem as of tonight my on timers are all off by three minutes my off timers are off by 45 seconds. So do you think this is a hardware problem?  Packing up that other unit tonight hope to have it back in a week or so when I do and I download the timers that should tell me something. I'm using ma new notebook to download everything so I know that's not the problem. Thanks

Tcj

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 10:46:52 PM »

...well somethings wrong all my timers are exactly three minutes late for example ...
Is the time difference constant or does it change over time.
After you sync, is your computer time the same as the AHP time? Do they both match the correct time?
What operating system do you have? I know Windows XP does an internet time set every week and can be synced manually also. There are 3rd party sync programs for your computer also.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.