Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems Installing Showtime  (Read 47541 times)

jajohnson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problems Installing Showtime
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

Anyone have problems installing Showtime.  I get a hang with the window titled installing and the file sysoff.exe inside the window. The graph reads about 15%.  Clicking on the windows "cance;" button shows the process as not responding and the only way I can stop it is via task manager.

jajohnson

Re: Problem getting a fix from X10 tech support
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:31:41 PM »

UPDATE:
The good news: Found, by myself, that Chat Watch Pro was the cause of the installation problem.  Showtime now installs without hanging.
The bad news: Showtime will still not run, it displays a window saying it has encountered an error and asks to send the inforemation to Microsoft.
Sent X10 tech support the information level 2 support needed, with still no fix.  I suppose the product is good when it runs, but I cant seem to get my problem fixed so I can use it.  The product may be good but support is poor.

UPDATE:
After getting no help from X10, I decided to reinstall my X10 Active Home Pro software.  During the installation, it alerted me that there was newer software for my X10 applications (including Showtime) and suggested I let it download all of them so everything was compatiible.  I did so and now everything works.  Very disappointed with X10 "level 2" support.  Their entry level support did keep in contact, but all they could tell me was that they had passed the information on.  My warning is that anyone buying this software be prepared to go it on your own if you have a problem.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:58:24 AM by jajohnson »

elpeacen

Re: Problems Installing Showtime
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »

I have the showtime equipment, but I don't know what software to download. I downloaded an x10 driver, which listed my sender unit as one of the units the driver is for. I installed it, but nothing came up according to the instructions about hooking up the unit's USB cord or anything. Am I supposed to download and install some other software? The instructions does not tell me what to download and install. Please someone help me. Thanks.

elpeacen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »

Does anyone know what software I am supposed to install to make my equipment work? This equipment is useless if I can't use it. Can anyone help me with this simple problem? When I have tried to call support, I get to hold on for about a half hour!!! I don't have that kind of patience. Is there some kind of chat room support or something? Help???

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »

elpeacen,

When you ordered Showtime you should have received an email from X10 with a link to download and register the software. If you did not receive this you will have to contact customer support. If contact buy phone is a problem try an email. Neither is very quick but the email will probably get you a response but it may take several days.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

jajohnson

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »

As noted in a previous response, you should have received an email from X10 when you placed your order.  This email gave you a link for downloading and installing the software.  After the software is installed and you have verified it works (you see the control panel) then plug in the cable that intercepts/splits the ourput from your video port, with one half going to the Showtime and the second half going to your monitor.

Then plug in the Showtime USB connector and turn the Showtime hardware on.  Your should see a system message that devices have been recognized and are ready to use.  When you run Showtime you should see a green light in the broadcasting line, indictaing the program sees the hardware and is capable of using it.

Then install the reciever on your TV, using either of the two connectors (I think the coaxial connector provides a better picture).  Once turned on, you should see the PC screen on your PC.  (Warning: on my PC I had to change to a display size of 800x600 to see the full picture.  When I used a display size of 1024x768, the picture on the TV was cut off on the left side).

Also be aware that portable phones operating on the 2.4 GHZ band can create bars and noises on the TV screen.  By changing the Showtime hardware channel selection you should be able to minimiize interference.  In my case I actually had to unplug the power from a portable phone located next to the Showtime box.  This is not a Showtime problem, just a case of too many deviices trying to use the same channels.

Also be aware you will have to adjust the Showtime preferences to optimize the picture.  In my case I had to set color and sharpness to full scale, and lower brightness.  In the end I obtained an acceptable result.  We started by viewing pictures from 30 years ago my wife had scanned into the PC.  Since the image files were large (4MB) it sometimes took a while for Showtime to change to the next picture.  The email and print functions worked OK.  For the $15 that I paid using the bandit (including shipping) , I consider the result cost effective.  The whole family could easily see our trips. 

FWIW, if you just turn on the Showtime, it will broadcast the PC screen to your TV, allowing you to monitor your children"s and spouses PC activity. 

I relaize that I have written this response in a little (geek speek), assuming the user knows a little about the technology of computers and phones.  If you have any questions, feel free to use this forum to discuss in laymans's terms what to do.  This way everybody can benefit.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:23:57 PM by jajohnson »

elpeacen

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »

There was a mixup about the product I ordered. I had inadvertently clicked on a link, that advertised the the exact same price, but only a portion of the equipment, so that is what was sent to me. After a call, which I had the experience of waiting online for a long time(which I do not wish to repeat) I was sent the rest of the equipment, but, probably because of the mixup, I was not sent that email about the software.

Is there some way I can notify support thru this media, so that I won't have to go thru the displeasure of waiting online for a half hour? Is there some way I can get that software email? What would I need to supply? Thanks.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 08:25:10 AM »

elpeacen.

Try the link below. Scroll about half way down the page and you will see a live chat button. I have never used it but it may be worth a try.

http://www.x10.com/news/mssgBd.htm#88d66.43fa
_ _ ...  ..._ _

elpeacen

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:50:13 PM »

I tried that chat link, and they just say that I should have gotten an email link to the software. I can't get thru, that my order was mixed up, and my equipment was sent in two separate orders, and I never got the original email link. When I use either of the order numbers on the download website, it only takes me to more advertising, no software link. It doesn't seem that anyone at tech support is interested in helping me. I wonder if I should just sent this stuff back, because I cant' get it to work. I've had this equipment for about a month, anticipating it to work, but I can't get anywhere.  I'm getting dejected...

I try the phone support, which has me holding for so long, that the batteries on my wireless phone goes out!!! Why can't they just hire enough tech support personnel to take care of the volume of calls better!! Why is the volume of calls so high!!

Is this the experience of most of their customers. If so,someone should warn potential customers before they spend their money, with anticipation of getting the advertised service.

silentbuddha

• Silent Buddha
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 08:48:17 PM »

Hi All,

I just bought the product over the phone with a representative and I get the same error message when I try to install showtime app.  the install meter reaches to 15% and then it hangs at when trying to install sysoff.exe.  This is my first time installing the software and I have no tohe X10 appz installed. I even cleaned my registry and still the install hangs...

silentbuddha

• Silent Buddha
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 09:26:14 PM »

Hi All,

Info: I disconnected my internet and my zonealarm security suite firewall and tried to run the setup file for showtime 2.0 again.  The message I got was that connection to remote server could not be established.  I know now that the setup.exe file connects to server to download and install the files.  With this being said, I kept my firewall down and connected my computer back to internet and ran the setup file again.  This time no hangups and teh program installed correctly.  Hope this info helps others who read this post.

take care...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.