Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie PrePurchase Question  (Read 10164 times)

sk00ter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie PrePurchase Question
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:28:54 PM »

Hello folks,

Well I find the need for a home security system and been reading about x10.  I have a very basic
question if anyone would be so kind as to elaborate on.  On the door/window sensors(the two
contacts that get mounted) are they mounted with screws or double faced tape?  I just got
replacement windows 2 years ago and don't really want to screw anything into them.

Thanks

OwenR

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Newbie PrePurchase Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

Hey sk00ter,

The sensor connections themselves are mounted with double-sided adhesive tape. For more info on the Security Systems, and door/window sensors check out www.x10securitysystems.com.

Hope that helps...

OTR

sk00ter

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:10:22 AM »

Yes thank you very much Owen.  May I ask 2 more?

1)--------------
Regarding the remote powerhorn...When the alarm is
triggered does the siren noise only emit from the powerhorn?
That is, does a siren sound also from the control console?
Does a powerhorn use a zone?

My thinking would be to have 2 remote powerhorns.  One in a main
room and another in a Gable or Eve Vent area so it could be heard
outside.
---------------

2)---------------
Is it possbile to have the system NOT make phone calls(a way to
toggle this feature on and off)?  For instance if you are sleeping
at night and the alarm gets triggered there is no sense for the
system to phone the numbers you programmed.
----------------

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:17:14 AM by sk00ter »

OwenR

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »

Hey sk00ter,

Glad I could answer your first question. I think I can also clear up  your other concerns.
You definitely can have 2 remote powerhorns - even more if you like. The console will also emit a siren.
We have a large list of accessories on this page http://www.x10securitysystems.com/x10products.html even a special buy one get one free on the powerhorn.

As far as the dialing feature goes, I there isn't really a toggle switch. However - all you have to do is unplug the phone line over night. Seems pretty basic but in order to toggle you would have to do so on the console anyway. In the morning plug it back in and your emergency numbers will still be there.

Hope this helps again -

Thank you for using our forum!

OTR

sk00ter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

Thanks again Owen.  I really appreciate it sir.  I'm pricing all the deals and products to see
whats best for me.  There are a lot of them on Ebay.  I need extra's though so I've
put together a list of what I want and now am in the process of pricing everything from
various sources.

OwenR

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

Not a problem sk00ter. It is a fun process to customize a system. I just wanted to mention that from our site we offer extended warranties with no questions asked replacements, and of course our customer support. Whichever route you choose - our forums are a great place to find support and X10 ideas. Good Luck!  ;)

OTR

sk00ter

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »

Thanks Owen.  Yes, I like the value of this forum and support.  Its quite overwhelming to me
at first until I read and understand all the aspects of the home security system.  I'm pretty much
intune with most of it now.  I've been devoting many hours reading on this website and others
about the system.  Personally, I'd like to put together a list of what I want and get a quote on
it because buying a system then buying a lot of addons don't always work out to what I want.

I noticed this website(x10.com) has some really great deals/specials.  I am still planning but intend
on getting a system pretty soon.

Thanks again and I do appreciate your help and advice.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:39:26 PM »

Say Sk00ter make sure you buy the LARGE power horns they are the best if you have a few of them I have 4, I guarantee a would be burglar will not be able to stand the noise that's what happen when my house was broken into a year and a half ago. Also see if you can work out a deal with x10 for the Pro versions of the MS10A's (motion detectors) the standard versions are prone to false alarms in the 1 movement mode and flat out don't work in the two step. While testing one I was able to craw through a window I was washing walk right by it and walk up the steps to the bedroom where my wife was quietly sleeping!!! GET THE PRO's!

Tcj

sk00ter

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 07:37:45 PM »

Thanks Tom_j  Will do and I appreciate your input sir ;)

tom j

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »

Thanks Tom_j  Will do and I appreciate your input sir ;)

Glad I was of some help. Say I think x10 is running one of those specials again where you can get three of these Large Power Horns for the price of one! Have to give x10 credit on this one these things really work, and they are loud, very loud. I saw a burglar interviewed on a local TV show and they asked him what could a person do to avoid a break in, he gave all the usual stuff like neighborhood watch dogs lights ect but what caught my attention was the fact that he said he broke in one house and the sirens were so LOUD that he had to  ran out immediately. That's why I bought all those large powerhorns and it worked when my house was broken into they didn't even pickup the money I had laying on the piano. When you get them try expermenting to place them for the maximum effect but just try not to go deaf in the process, seriously! they are pretty loud. Good Luck

Tcj

sk00ter

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:25:06 AM »

Thanks again Tcj but you know what?  I don't see PRO models for the MS10A's?  Do they have a different model number?

Regards............

tom j

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:55:19 PM »

Thanks again Tcj but you know what?  I don't see PRO models for the MS10A's?  Do they have a different model number?

Regards............

x10 doesn't advertise them on this sight, I actually didn't know about them myself until they sent them as replacements. I'll try to locate the invoice and the number hopefully will be their. Say need you to give me a hand with something concerning the MS10a's got a minute? Thanks

Tcj

sk00ter

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 09:28:03 AM »

Thanks again Tcj.  I emailed X10 about the Pro versions.

I'd be more than happy to give you a hand but I don't have my system yet.  I am about ready to order when I find the Pro versions of the motion sensors.  I am in touch with a person from the x10 website regarding ordering my system.

Thanks!
Sk00ter

tom j

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 04:27:41 PM »

Thanks again Tcj.  I emailed X10 about the Pro versions.

I'd be more than happy to give you a hand but I don't have my system yet.  I am about ready to order when I find the Pro versions of the motion sensors.  I am in touch with a person from the x10 website regarding ordering my system.

Thanks!
Sk00ter

No problem! say did you get the infromation the Pro version of the MS10a's?

Tcj

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 10:13:55 AM »

Hi,
1) The door/window sensors can be mounted with either tape or screws. They are both provided.
2) Both the console and powerhorn will alarm. You can have 1, 2, 3 etc. powerhorns. Be sure to get the BIG ones.
3) The idea is that if your alarm goes off  "Something is wrong" .
It's much preferable to wake someone who can listen in and check on you or call for help than for you to get hit over the head, stabbed, shot or raped because "YOU DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE SOMEONE UP"
What's the point of buying a security system if you're not going to use it to it's full extent ?
4) Making a list is an excellent idea. Getting X10 to sell it to you as a package (kit) at a  good price is about Zero, Nil, Zilch, Forget about it.
I've tried this approach. After talking to them, I got an e-mail listing the items individually and at the regular retail price.
So, you buy what you need as they come up at special prices. This method could take forever to get everything you need.
You may be better off buying packages that they offer even though you end up with items that you don't need you could save a ton of money.

As an example and you do the comparison by seeing what you would get and what you would still need to buy compared to just buying what you need.

Keep in mind that you will still need to buy a phase coupler or a phase coupler/repeater.
In most homes the electricity coming in is split into 2 phases. You will need one of the above to allow the X10 signal to cross from one phase to the other. Otherwise some of your devices simply won't work. The coupler repeater is generallyy for really large homes 3000+ sq ft or the or the transformer "feeding" power to the house is over 100 feet away. Hard wired types generall require an electrician and are more expensive. Plug in types are available, such as the SignaLinc™ Plug-In Phase Coupler $19.99 and the 4-Pin SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater $79.99. from http://www.smarthome.com/
I use a plug in coupler in my 1 story 2000 sq ft home and it works just fine.

Now do your price comparisons.

X10 Security + Automation Kits:  Value $588.77 sold for $109.99 + $49.99 = $159.98 That’s roughly 73% off.

Here is what you get:

1 ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A) $99.99
1 ActiveHome Professional Software (for Windows only) (SW31A) $32.99
1 Voice Dialer Console (PS561) $49.99
4 Door/Window Sensor (DS10A) $79.96 
1 Security Motion Detector (MS10A) $49.99
1 NEW EagleEye Motion Sensor (MS14A) $24.99
1 PowerHorn Siren (SH10A) $31.99
1 Security Remote Control (SH624) $26.99 
3 Security Keychain Remote (KR10A) $59.97
1 Palm Pad Controller (HR12A) $19.99
1 SlimFIRE Pocket Remote (KR19A) $19.99
2 Lamp Module (LM465) $25.98 
1 Lamp Module (LM465) $12.99
1 Appliance Module - (2 pin) (AM486) $12.99
1 Socket Rocket - Smart Screw-in Lamp Module (LM15A) $19.99
2 Home Security Decal - Window Sticker (MM024) $19.98 

By the way you'll want to get the PowerHorn Siren PH508-COM $39.99 (this is the large one)

Good luck to you in this endevor.
Jim

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:16:06 AM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.