Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New and confused  (Read 5167 times)

Elwood

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New and confused
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »

I recently purchased Active Home Pro software with 2-way computer Interface. I have no idea where to start. When I look at the X10 website, I see all kinds of options for starter kits and such but if you go the way of kits and you want yo upgrade, you end up with items you already own or are unnecessary. If you make a list of specific items, you end up paying much more. I would like to build a system to use AHP and all plug ins.
There are so many different modules, transceivers, remotes and controllers to choose from and not having the knowledge or experience leaves you open to a lot of mistakes.
Is there some place I can get the kind of information I need without having to get it through the old school of hard  knocks ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: New and confused
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »

You may want to think on exactly what you want to control. Like table lights; overhead lights. Trigger things when motion happens.
Do you think you may want to use a remote on a table to also control things?
With a basic list of needs. Many here can help you find the things you may need.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »

As Brian H stated make a list of exactly what you wish to do! Then check the X10 Knowledgebase   you'll find  product information, frequently asked questions, technical references, and troubleshooting help for X10 products there. Check a couple of other Homeautomation boards as well as this one. You realy can't do enough reading It will help when you finaly get started setting up your system! ;) You'll find many willing to help you get started!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:46:16 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »

As Brian H stated make a list of exactly what you wish to do!...
Well put. The more you can plan ahead the better off you'll be!

As I've learned new tricks and added new things, my system has become an "ongoing work of art". The down side of that is it would be a nightmare to recreate and takes me a while to pick available HC/UC/flags for anything new. I haven't even gotten a cable to play with the X10 floodlight cams I've had before AHP was around.

Regarding House Codes... I have a mild paranoia of HC "A".  ;) I try use HC "M" for most of my macros with HC "D" for the telephone macros. I also have a HC set aside to for dedicated items that are only controlled by macro. I believe I have more macros than items for them to control.

Even if it takes 2 hours to figure out how to automate something that might take 5 minutes to do manually each time, it's rewarding to see things work automatically.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:28:46 PM »

You may want to think on exactly what you want to control. Like table lights; overhead lights. Trigger things when motion happens.
Do you think you may want to use a remote on a table to also control things?
With a basic list of needs. Many here can help you find the things you may need.

Yes I agree with Brian it may appear daunting at first but you really do need to decide what you want to automate first. Why don't you give this some really serious thought and then get back to us I personally would be more then happy to help. One thing you might want to consider is room lighting this really impressed my friends when they come by even fooled a few into thinking there was actually a ghost in the house when I would conceal a small remote and ask Jessie to cut the lights on and off.  ;D

Tcj
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:54:06 PM by tom j »

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 02:29:08 AM »

old school? hard knocks? who/where are they? :)

old school = knowledge?

just ask!
live in western canada? maybe I can hook ya up! :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:30:49 AM by Mystyx »
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

Elwood

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »

Thanks Guys for the offers to help but I might have jumped the gun. I believe I should research this as far as I can go, by downloading user guides and watching FAQs from X10 website. This way I can get a better idea  of what the program can do and what hardware  I need to make it work for me.   
 I'm sure I will have a lot of questions later on after I have helped myself.

Many thanks.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.