Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extend X10 wireless system 1 + miles & stay in warrenty!  (Read 5448 times)

treborz17

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Extend X10 wireless system 1 + miles & stay in warrenty!
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »

Alright, so I only tested a few hundred feet but the potential is there.  This is my first post so I my be repeating something that everyone knows.  I probably have, at least according to my wife, one of each X10 product on the face of the earth starting back with my reliable Radio Shack X10 units.  OK, what have I done to extend my wireless distance.  Since I live in Yuma Arizona where there are many remote ranches, I got the idea that if I took a few of my X10 wireless transmitters and receivers and chained them I could reach an infinite distance.  OK, so I used a couple of neighbors porches power receptacles and sent excellent camera pictures approximately 300+ feet by chaining a Ninja Pan & Tilt with Xcam camera to an X10 receiver set on "A" channel, hooked by RCA video cable to an X10 transmitter on "D" Channel, and then into an old but, very good, Radio Shack receiver, and then by RCA cable hooked to a Radio Shack X10 transmitter back on "A" Channel, and finally by wireless 2.4G to an X10 receiver hooked to my TV set.

What would a Rancher in Yuma County do without electricity along the route?  Well, I also have mounted cameras with my own 12volt battery packs to my Radio Controlled Hummer Toy.  That means that the one mile stretch of ranch driveway to the mail box camera at the highway, he has installed every few hundred feet an X10 Receiver & Transmitter powered by a 12VDC rechargeable battery pack with the latest low cost Solar Cells for charging.

Hope I haven't wasted your time with my experiments.  Please let me know if I at least gave you something to think about.  It's lonely sometimes here in Yuma, except when the stage goes by, Wells Fargo that is.

Thanks for listening,

Robert, A retired Old Guy

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 11:16:05 PM by treborz17 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Extend X10 wireless system 1 + miles & stay in warrenty!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:24:43 AM »

Welcome to the Forums
Very interesting and inventive. I too like to experiment.
Didn't waste my time.

Have you looked at some of the other Automation Sites as they also have experimenters on them.
http://www.accessha.com
http://www.cocoontech.com/

toywizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

I like the way you think!!!!

I too like to play and change stuff to make it better.

X10 rocks. I run one through the PC and can record pics and movies of my RC stuff as well as my wifes birds in the bird room and we have X10 cams monitoring the driveway and parking lot. Great stuff.

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »

I also like the way you think.
Really good stuff. Gave me ideas that I'm sure will get me into trouble.
For instance. With a camera mounted on a remote controlled truck, my wife could just put a COLD  "Beverage" on it and then I could drive it out to my detached garage; where I'm watching the ball game.
YEAH ! I like it.  ;D
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.