Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cAN'T GET MORE THAN 1 CAMERA TO WORK  (Read 41775 times)

V8LESS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
cAN'T GET MORE THAN 1 CAMERA TO WORK
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:00:46 AM »

I've got 4 cameras each setup as A1,A2,A3,A4. the receiver is on A. I've added each in the software with the correct House codes and units. When I switch between cameras in the software I get the same camera picture and its always the first one I plug in. What am I doing wrong?

janwood164

Re: cAN'T GET MORE THAN 1 CAMERA TO WORK
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:11:50 PM »

You have the same problem that I had - I am in the process of "trying" to return the order with the 4 cameras.  I placed an order for 2 cameras and I was finally able to get them to work using the TM751 set to house code A, channel code on the cameras and receiver set to code D, one camera set to A1 and the other camera set to CODE A11 - yes, A11.  For some reason setting first camera to A1 and the second camera to A11 and being sure that the receiver and the TM751 are on the same house circuit breaker causes the two cameras to work.  It only took me about 58 hours to come up with this combination.  My husband was very frustrated with me because of the amount of time I spent (plus money - I had to buy a new laptop because the Vanguard software Blue Screened my older laptop).  Good luck!  I sympathize with you.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:39:50 PM »

V8LESS
Ok so that we understand this correctly, you have 4 cameras. The power supply for each one is set to the following   Supply 1 = A1,    Supply 2 = A2,   Supply 3 = A3,   and Supply 4 = A4.  Now in AHP you have put 4 cameras in your room and also set them up as A1, A2, A3 and A4. Is this correct?

Could you tell us what cameras your using and what software your using. We will see if we can get you going.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:34:52 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

John Moore

• John Moore's Book Page
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:48:49 AM »

I have the same problem.  I have two cameras, set to A1 and A2.  Both are installed in the Vanguard software, but only one can be viewed..  If I set the remote control to A1, the first camera will show up in Vanguard as both A1 and A2.  If I use the remote control to switch to A2, the second  camera will show up in Vanguard as both A1 and A2.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »

John Moore   Could you post and tell us what model cameras you are using.  If it is the Vanguard cams then see below.

Multiple Wired Vanguard Cameras
From X10Wiki

Question
How can I hook up and control multiple wired Vanguard cameras?

Answer
You will need a quad processor or multiplexer; you can order a 4-cam color unit for $210 by calling 800-675-3044. Hook all your Vanguard cameras into your multiplexer using the RCA video cables, directly from the wired output on each Vanguard camera. Set each Vanguard to TRANSMIT ENABLE (yes, this does not seem logical, but do so anyhow.)

Each camera comes pre-programmed as camera 1 (C1). The first camera you set up will stay C1. Program the additional cameras as C2, C3, and C4:

Pick the camera to use as C2.
Set the mode switch on the bottom of that camera to Program.
Press C2 on your remote control to set this camera to C2.
Set the mode switch back to Transmit Enable.
Repeat these steps for the rest of the cameras, using C3 for the third camera and C4 for the fourth camera.

When you turn on your TV/computer, you should now see all four cameras live on the screen at once. When you press a C1, C2, C3, or C4 button on the remote, the remote should control that camera exclusively.

Retrieved from "http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Multiple_Wired_Vanguard_Cameras"

The Vanguard cams do not have switchable power supplies. You need a quad processor to handle the multiple video inputs to the software. You may be able to use a video switch to control the multiple inputs to a single output to avoid the higher cost of a quad processor. Maybe someone has tried this and can post here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:57:35 AM by KDR »

John Moore

• John Moore's Book Page
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »

KDR, here is what I have:

1 VR36A video receiver
1 TM751 RF transceiver
1 VA11A video to USB adapter
1 Ninja camera (an XCAM2 mounted on a Ninja pan and tilt base)
1 XCAM2 camera
1 CR12A remote control
1 CR14A Ninja pan and tilt remote control

The transceiver is plugged into a non-surge protected power strip.  The video receiver is plugged into the same power strip. The video output from the receiver goes to the USB adapter, which goes to the computer. The two cameras are plugged in outside the house and are working.

The problem is that I can only see one camera on Vanguard at a time.  If the remote controller is set to camera A1, then Vanguard shows that camera as both A1 and A2.  If the remote controller is set to A2, then Vanguard shows that camera as both A1 and A2.  It doesn't matter what camera I choose in the software, Vanguard will only show the last camera selected with a CR12A or CR14A remote control.

Pushing the on/off button on the TM751 transceiver does not seem to affect anything.  However, if I unplug the TM751 transceiver I can only see camera A1.

I need to see both cameras from a remote computer.  Any advice?

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

Did the Vanguard software come with the camera package and is the Vanguard software the only X10 software you have?

If I understand this correctly, Both cams work and transmites their image to your computer. The multiview window in the vanguard software is either showing 2 views of camera 1 or 2 views of camera 2 and not 1 of each, correct?

With the VA11A as the adaptor for video to your computer it can only handle 1 input at a time. In order to get multiple live video at the same time you would need to have 2 VR36A receivers, 1 receiver and cam set to one channel (say B) and the other receiver and cam set to another channel (say C). Both cams would have to be on all the time. Then the output of both VR36A's would need to be sent to a video Quad Processor and then the output of the processor would go to the VA11A and then to the computer. Other wise the system is only capable of showing 1 live window at a time and the other ones would be just a snapshot of its last live view in the multi view mode. The multiple view screen should show each camera, one live the others as a snapshots, and clicking on any one of them should turn that cam on and the others into snapshots.

I do not use the Vanguard software and I will do some research to see if I can find out how this software processes the video for display. I would have to say right now that something is not set right in the software in relation to the camera setup and defining the cameras since multiple cameras with different unit codes show up as the same in the display. Hang in there while we try and sort this out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:27:54 PM by KDR »

John Moore

• John Moore's Book Page
Automatic Scanning with Vanguard Software
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:37 PM »

"Did the Vanguard software come with the camera package and is the Vanguard software the only X10 software you have?"

Yes.  I ordered the equipment and they emailed me a link to download the software.  I told the salesgirl what I wanted to do and this is the equipment and software they sent to me.  It's hard to believe she would not have sold me a second receiver and a multiplexer if I needed one, or that if would not be mentioned in the Vanguard documenation.  According to her, the TM751 transceiver allows muliple cameras and the Vanguard software will automatically switch between cameras at timed intervals.

"The multiple view screen should show each camera, one live the others as a snapshots, and clicking on any one of them should turn that cam on and the others into snapshots."

Yes, I see now that you're right.  It isn't showing multiple views of the same camera -- one is live and one is the last snapshot.  Same problem though -- it's a snapshot of the same camera.  I don't need to see both cameras at the same time, I'd be satisfied if it could switch between the two without me having to press a button on the remote control.

A $200 multiplexer and separate receiver pretty much doubles the cost of the system.  If it is neccessary I've been seriously misinformed by x10.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 05:59:02 AM »

Here's what the equipment that you got can do.

1 VR36A video receiver - Used to receive the video signal from what ever camera is switched on, one at a time. If it receives more then 1 camera at a time its video will be scrambled and mixed. Its output is a composit video signal.

1 TM751 RF transceiver - Used to receive the RF signals from your remote controls. It then takes the RF it gets from the remotes and puts the ON and OFF commands onto the house wiring. These commands control the power supplies for the ninja and the 2 cameras. This is what turns one camera on and the other off so that the VR36A only gets one signal at a time.

1 VA11A video to USB adapter - Used to convert the composit video signal from the VR36A receiver to a digital signal that goes into your computer by way of the USB connection.

1 Ninja camera (an XCAM2 mounted on a Ninja pan and tilt base) - Your pan and tilt base with a camera mounted on it. The camera can get its power from 2 sources when using the ninja. It could have its own power supply separate from the Ninjas power supply or it can get power from the Ninjas power supply via a small adaptor and using the plug located under the ninjas top camera mounting plate.

1 XCAM2 camera - Second camera which has its own power supply.

1 CR12A remote control - Is a X10 remote that can control 4 cameras and 4 X10 automation modules. (other combinations are available.) This remote when used switches On whatever camera you select and turns off the others. This way it only allows 1 camera signal to get to the computer at a time.

1 CR14A Ninja pan and tilt remote control - Controls the panning and tilting of the ninja. It also has the ability to select 1 of 4 cameras to view like the CR12A. If you hold down the lower black buttons it will scan through cameras once every 6 seconds as long as your holding the button down.

Your Vanguard Software is for displaying your cameras image. Heres where I think the problem is!

You can't use the software to switch cameras, pan the ninja or anything like that because there is no controller to send out signals to the power supplies to turn them on and off and no way to send the RF to the ninja to control the pan/tilt. The Ninjas pan/tilt is controlled by RF and not power line signals. Your missing a controller that will allow control from the program itself. You need a CM19A Wireless PC Transceiver to allow the software to send out RF signals like your remotes do.

Here is what I have seen about the CM19A. They offer it with a Vanguard software package SEE HERE and it can be purchased by itself. However the write up on it says it is for Windows 95 or 98 and a USB port is needed. See the manual for it HERE

The Quad Processor and multiple SR36A's I mentioned above is not required unless someone wanted to see multiple LIVE video on one screen at the same time. And yes to that that can be costly. You just need a way for the Software to communicate out to use all the features of the software. The CM19A would send out RF to the TM751.

So bottom line is it looks like your missing a key part to make the software work the way you want it to work. If you do a search on the CM19A or on the FireCracker which is what the CM19A is called you will find more info here on the boards. Post back and let us know how things work out.

It looks like nice software and I may just go ahead and purchase it to try when I get some extra cash. I wonder if it will work with the CM15A controller.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:13:54 AM by KDR »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:23:13 AM »

John Moore:
As KDR stated your missing the CM19A!
The CM17A is also called a "Firecracker"(serial port version) but don't think it will work with the software!
You need a interface in order for the software to talk to your cameras!
Nice write up KDR! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

John Moore

• John Moore's Book Page
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:38:10 PM »

KDR, many, many thanks.  Yes, it was the lack of the CM19A that was the problem.  I did not install it because the instructions that come with say it is for use with the motion detectors, which I am not ready to use yet, and the Vanguard software instructions don't mention it at all.  I really appreciate the help.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 08:41:55 PM »

Glad to hear that. Maybe after you have had some time to play with the software you can come back and post what you think of it. I would like to know as I am thinking of buying it. I use AHP and all the plugins currently

zach1234

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 10:29:42 PM »

Just get a swann quad from www.frys.com and it works just great for me.

gronk

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »

OK I hate to admit defeat just yet, I too have a 3 camera system, two colour wide angle, one b/w, a ninja base. I cannot seem to control the on/off for the cameras so the camera that's closest is the one I can see all the time. If I unplug the closest camera I see the next closest. I have set the camera control modules for A1,A2,A3 as is suggested but no luck. However, when I set up my Ninja cam as the closest I can control the up down movements of the base so that seems to suggest the CM19A is working. If I use the set up firecracker control and sent a test to turn off a controller nothing happens.

Anyone out there that can help please.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.